The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77II with 70-200 SSM II lens

Rawfa

Thanks for the reply, Guy. I hope the A99II has a similar implementation, as I have a lot of Tamrons, Minoltas, etc that I would like to be able to use...

Rawfa

Guy, check out the Sonyalpharumors - if the rumors are true, an a99II will be offered very soon. Same AF as on the 6000 and the same sensor as in the a7r.
That is what I was afraid of...if they go with the same AF as the A6000 it means it will not be compatible with all lenses out there.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That is what I was afraid of...if they go with the same AF as the A6000 it means it will not be compatible with all lenses out there.
See I find that hard to believe because the A99Ii like the A77II would have the same translucent mirror setup. I can't imagine them being different from each other. You want the A77II focusing as it tracks I think better than the A6000 plus it goes to 179 AF points which means almost the entire frame. I can't imagine Sony changing it to the A6000 unless they dump the translucent mirror.

Will have to see what they do but tech wise it's really just fitting a FF sensor in the body.

We just need to keep a close eye on what they come up with but it is a natural move to do what the A77II does.

jfirneno

I wouldn't worry too much for two reasons:

1) Sonyalpharumors will have everything they say that's true mixed with an almost equal amount of things that are not true. But that's the nature of his business, rumors.

2) The high end a-mount cameras have been providing phase detect capability as both on sensor and off-sensor elements since the A99 came out. The normal off-sensor phase detect works with all lenses. The on-sensor phase detect is only supported by a few lenses and seems to be specialized for moving object tracking through complicated algorithms. Either way you will still get the very good phase detect auto-focus of an SLT camera.

Regards,
John

kuau

Workshop Member
End of day if Sony does come out with a 36mpx A99II version than the A7r might just hit the buy and sell. I have mostly all A lenses as I played it safe and kept my options open.
Guy,
FYI, I am paying attention, and I just sold my A99 and purchased the A77II
So now I have the A77II and A7, no 36mp camera right now.
Waiting to see if Sony releases a new A99 at Photokina.. Keeping my fingers crossed.. If no new A99, I will probably pick up a used A7r and use my Sony adaptors for my A mount lenses.

BTW, great pictures and awesome subjects :):)

Steven