The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77II with 70-200 SSM II lens

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I rented it and these are in camera jpegs. I shot raw along with it since this one event we have a whole series of lighting so I want to cover myself just in case but turns out the in camera jpegs and my adjustments on the fly worked very well. Right now I'm shooting jeans with constant runway lights. Im at F4 ISO 800 at about 1/400, so lighting is pretty good which i have complete control on stage lighting.

BTW the focus tracking with lock on expanded cannot b e beaten bar none the best setup I have ever used. Sony nailed it on this cam , now it needs to find its way into other bodies. But this is AF at its finest. Bold comment I know

MikalWGrass

Thank you. I am getting calls, albeit slowly, to take pics at the local swim meets. The a900 works but it is slooowww, and slowly disintegrating. May not want to wait to see if the tracking appears in a FF camera because I can always get one of those later.

Lonnie Utah

BTW the focus tracking with lock on expanded cannot b e beaten bar none the best setup I have ever used. Sony nailed it on this cam , now it needs to find its way into other bodies. But this is AF at its finest. Bold comment I know
This has to be tech that's bleeding over from the mirrorless cams...

Smoothjazz

Guy,
I am planning to take photos at a parade event, with lots of moving people, costumes, horses, etc.
I have the sony A7r, and also the great Zeiss A lens with the LEA4 adapter. My concern is that it will be too slow for people moving, or on horseback. I thought about renting or buying a Sony A7 for faster autofocus, and maybe using a Zeiss 135mm ZA lens too, or some vintage glass with manual focus.
My question is, would I be better off renting a Sony A99, and a zoom lens for my purposes? Sounds like your experience with the autofocus is great.

Guy Mancuso

This is a very good lens. Maybe the best I have tried. Not cheap though.

BTW I use lensrentals.com
They rent bodies too. The A7 is faster than the A7r

Guy Mancuso

Its kind of funny that no one is actually paying any attention to this body and I find it the best AF tracking cam on the planet. Maybe because its a APS sensor but for some of my work this rocks the house. I bought a Sigma 18-35 1.8 dedicated to this body and just picked up yesterday in NY a Sony 16-70 F4 dedicated to the A6000 which looks to be pretty good. Im just waiting for the Sigma 50 ART 1.4 to come out so I can use it on all three bodies. Anyway thought I would post this as this is a in camera jpeg shot at ISO 800 with the 70-200 SSM II lens which is really a amazing lens. I have about 10 thousand of similar images and the lens rarely missed a beat. I did shoot some Raw and want to see how they look after processing. I am really picky here( we all have limits on noise) is I hate noise but its safe at ISO 1200 with in camera jpegs and I could squeeze a extra stop easily in LR shooting Raw. I had sharpening at Plus 1 in camera for jpegs, no noise reduction turned on

Guy Mancuso

End of day if Sony does come out with a 36mpx A99II version than the A7r might just hit the buy and sell. I have mostly all A lenses as I played it safe and kept my options open.

Guy Mancuso

BTW the girl in the very first image won Model of the Year and had call backs with about 40 Fashion Agents. The next Super model is right there. I called it on day one she would win and we had a ton of amazing models this year.

Guy Mancuso

Exactly I would certainly keep the A77ii for the crop factor. I get a 300mm out if it which almost every shot was at the 200mm setting. So for this gig I need the APS crop but the A7r can be replaced with a FF A99II

ryc

Yea. Looking forwardto the next A99. If they expand the focus points into a full frame sensor instead of using the a77 setup, it will rock the industry.

BTW, that girl with the tag 5925 needs some meat on them there bones. Pretty smile but looks unhealthy.

Rawfa

Guy, quick question. I've read some guy's post saying "The A6000 has on sensor phase detect points which only work with few lenses . The A77 II has phase detect points but none on the sensor. That means its faster than on sensor points and works with all compatible lenses including 3rd party options." Would you happen to know if this is true?

On Sony's website as it is to be expected they only display Sony lenses on the compatibility tab Sony Alpha 77 M2 DSLR - All Alpha DSLR Cameras Sony Store - Sony US

Guy Mancuso

I think the A77II uses off sensor Phase detection and yes that would mean it is faster as it is continuously on instead of in between shots being taken. That's the way I understood it the A77II is actually faster this way but I certainly could have read it wrong as well. I would guess that all lenses for the A77II can take advantage of it since it is not sensor dependent . So I think you are reading it correctly. I'll have to look into this more

MikalWGrass

Guy, check out the Sonyalpharumors - if the rumors are true, an a99II will be offered very soon. Same AF as on the 6000 and the same sensor as in the a7r.