The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DXO D810

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim,

The link has not yet active. However, your words are good enough as this is only subjective. Only few people I trust. To me, Printing is an ultimatum. Like you, I've always used the lowest ISOs the sensors allow to maximize the print quality. JPEG doesn't make a judgement. That's why I love the quality of the Phase One IQ 180 although I've currently had the IQ260 which is a compromise for long exposure. High ISO is not my priority. Dust and dawn don't need high ISO and I'm not in hurry.

Again, thanks very much for your thoughtful comments.

Your friend,

Pramote
Thanks Pramote - but I don't flatter myself enough to think that I have a definitive opinion, I'd like to know what others think. Here are the links:

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g452614616-o374332360.dat?dl=2&tk=WTsF8L6nVJEvPpteWO0DjytWNS578OlRSTiN0UrmaKI=

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g363620643-o374332360.dat?dl=2&tk=dPznmPs_SvypQX-FRvaxvXbezHfPpX3ephv0mMRmLRI=

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g427112589-o374332360.dat?dl=2&tk=UYVC1Vnx0C-n_tvBhXptKHNTP9Bl7vG_HXXfWe6y9QU=

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g503533116-o374332360.dat?dl=2&tk=QDfKxm1q9nmqNt_BYH0pmh0C8UlspbNhiNLALFP6mSU=

ZoranC

I would also like to see the compressing of raws eliminated. Im not here to save drive space. They just need to think more Pro level as these Sonys are steadily getting into our hands they just need to think photographer first, engineer second.
Amen, amen, and amen!

Arne Hvaring

Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso:
I would also like to see the compressing of raws eliminated. Im not here to save drive space. They just need to think more Pro level as these Sonys are steadily getting into our hands they just need to think photographer first, engineer second.
Amen, amen, and amen!
Quite true, I've seen ragged behaviour of my 7R files particularly at pixel level related to this, as have others, like Lloyd Chambers. Next generation perhaps?

fotografz

It's very likely that we are 'over the hump' regarding Dynamic Range; it might be that we now have a plate full and don't need much more...the a7r almost never leaves anything behind at either end when well-exposed in high brightness range images as it is. And as you say Guy, even more lurks for access in post-processing.

I am very happy for the Nikon shooters - DSLRs are fine low ISO landscape devices, so it is playing to a strength, but you are into Velvia territory light-wise to realise the slight gain. At the other end, it is all in the 'red zone', and a dead heat everywhere else.

As an old E6 shooter reviewing old material, what a difference any FF camera has made. I'd like to see Canon get with the program for their legions, however. The other thought is this - the mighty 36mp sensor is two years old...does Sony have something up their sleeve besides their arm? This is where competition is great, they all try harder to make our lives easier.
The only thing any of them have up their sleeve, is their arm elbow deep into the pocket where you keep your wallet. :ROTFL:

The companies have hooked us on minutia, and that well touted, overly discussed minutia is irrelevant in 98% of the images most of us shoot in the real world.

I'd dearly like to see the companies get into a "war of simplicity" … peel the Onion until we have a simple tool that doesn't require a degree from MIT to operate.

My 2¢.

- Marc

dwood

I'm sure the D810 is an excellent camera. From reading through various threads, including this one, seems it's more of a refinement release more than anything else, which is kind of interesting. Makes me wonder if the Nikon eng. group was just given a directive to make some of these seemingly incremental changes to keep enough Nikon pro dSLR customers in their camp as a stop-gap until the next 'big thing' is ready for prime time, which may or may not be in the near future. It appears that they're available to ship from stock from almost everywhere. I wonder what the adoption rate is.

tashley

Subscriber Member
That's right Douglas. I think it's not a bad strategy. They either had to release a revolutionary (for them!) FF EVF in a small but pro-featured body, or a whizzy new sensor that was a real step up, or just do what they did, which is to bring the Dxx series to maturity in the form of a pretty much fully 'sorted' version.

Using one has made me wonder whether the reason it is so huge might be related to the body size needed to get such a refined shutter. The A7R shutter is rough as a stag night hangover and to make it have EFC and a much lower shake and slap and sound might just require more space and more baffle than can fit the form factor at the moment.

To me, the D810 is an Instant Classic in two ways:

1) It's the best, and first fully mature, full frame hi res pro tool ever
2) It's already a dinosaur.

Sometimes the last flower on a plant is the most beautiful. This might be the last great shout of the Humungous DSLR DNA.

dwood

That's right Douglas. I think it's not a bad strategy. They either had to release a revolutionary (for them!) FF EVF in a small but pro-featured body, or a whizzy new sensor that was a real step up, or just do what they did, which is to bring the Dxx series to maturity in the form of a pretty much fully 'sorted' version.

Using one has made me wonder whether the reason it is so huge might be related to the body size needed to get such a refined shutter. The A7R shutter is rough as a stag night hangover and to make it have EFC and a much lower shake and slap and sound might just require more space and more baffle than can fit the form factor at the moment.

To me, the D810 is an Instant Classic in two ways:

1) It's the best, and first fully mature, full frame hi res pro tool ever
2) It's already a dinosaur.

Sometimes the last flower on a plant is the most beautiful. This might be the last great shout of the Humungous DSLR DNA.
"The A7R shutter is rough as a stag night hangover"

Haha, that's pretty good there, Tim! (and accurate)

It will be interesting to see what comes next from Nikon, and how soon. As nice and mature as this body may be, it's hard to imagine the D810 holding court for any longish period of time. Feels like they're due for a D900, or MFD900 or ML900, or...

ZoranC

Quite true, I've seen ragged behaviour of my 7R files particularly at pixel level related to this, as have others, like Lloyd Chambers. Next generation perhaps?
I don't see why we couldn't have it in this generation too through firmware update.

Uaiomex

So I take it none of your guys will take any interest at all in the 50+ Mpx cameras that will be introduced shortly...:D
I liked very much Jack's comments on Guy's comments about his A6000. I have an A6K that I truly love. It is converted to IR. I had a Nex6 that I sold in order to buy a second A6K for normal photography
Upon ordering it, I had finally the last impulse needed and bought instead a RX100M3. Boy! I'm glad I did! This camera is amazing. So small and cute everybody likes it. It goes now with me most everywhere. People doesn't take it seriously and it has a silent shutter! Wow! is this nice or what? It may seem unimportant but the silent shutter is spoiling me, possibly without return.

I understand the Sony R1 has a silent shutter. If Sony comes with this camera with a built-in 24-70 zoom lens as good as the one in the RX100M3 it would be epic. If Sony puts a 36 mp sensor or something bigger, i will buy it at sight.

Going back on buying cameras for fun and without feeling like a cargo beast, is indeed liberating and truly joyful. There's a lot more to photography than the ultimate image quality.

Eduardo

Arne Hvaring

I liked very much Jack's comments on Guy's comments about his A6000. I have an A6K that I truly love. It is converted to IR. I had a Nex6 that I sold in order to buy a second A6K for normal photography
Upon ordering it, I had finally the last impulse needed and bought instead a RX100M3. Boy! I'm glad I did! This camera is amazing. So small and cute everybody likes it. It goes now with me most everywhere. People doesn't take it seriously and it has a silent shutter! Wow! is this nice or what? It may seem unimportant but the silent shutter is spoiling me, possibly without return.

I understand the Sony R1 has a silent shutter. If Sony comes with this camera with a built-in 24-70 zoom lens as good as the one in the RX100M3 it would be epic. If Sony puts a 36 mp sensor or something bigger, i will buy it at sight.

Going back on buying cameras for fun and without feeling like a cargo beast, is indeed liberating and truly joyful. There's a lot more to photography than the ultimate image quality.

Eduardo
Good luck with your new RX100! By all accounts a wonderful camera with amazing IQ and impressively small too. I don't need one...but it sure is tempting:D

jonoslack

Arne, you DO need one! Everybody does... ;)
No They Don't (I don't). I've always got a bag with me . . . . except on a horse, where the RX100 is too fiddly to use one handed (bring on Ricoh GR).

Other than that there's always room for something bigger and better and nicer to use.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Ahh, but consider this: the RX100 has better IQ (IMHO) than the M8 and is within DXO spitting distance of the M9 - and can easily be operated with one hand. It pretty much never misses a shot and the files are delicious! And it fits a shirt pocket. And did I say I love it? Some cameras you use, some you quite like and some you become besotted with. This is one such. The dog likes it too...

jonoslack

Nice shot Tim. All I can say is that I had the Mark 1 and I didn't use it, and I can't see that adding an EVF and making it fatter would make me use it either :).

I agree that the DXO Mark is very creditable, but it's not as good as the Ricoh GR and nothing like as good as the M(240).... And if I want a zoom there's the 12-40 on the E-m1

.......and I never put things in my shirt pocket :)

Arne Hvaring

The equestrian aspect of camera design seems to elude the Sony engineers, good as they are.
Tim, you are making some compelling arguments in favour of the Sony; my Coolpix A doesn't like this at all...

jonoslack

But apart from that, I bet you really want one?
;)
That's a MUCH better argument Tim - Actually, last week I bought it's big brother (the RX10) and played about for a couple days - it was fantastic - everything a normal person would ever need. So, of course, I sent it back (it's DXO mark is a little better than the RX100 III I think too).

Arne - if I had a coolpix A it'd be very worried as well, but my Ricoh GR seems to be completely unflustered :)
Equestrian camera design is an odd sidetrack. Actually, the X2 did very well, unfortunately, my lovely horse Sam is lame right now, so that's another reason not to buy an RX100 (I can see the vet's bills mounting up :eek::eek::eek: