The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DXO D810

tashley

Subscriber Member
Actually not so: the increased DR is just enough to tip it over the bar into being able to handle just about any real world scene. DXO has it at 0.7 stop more than the A7R and so far, to me having shot it in very very bright contrast midday light, it feels like that is just enough increment to really allow white clouds in a bright sky to keep their detail without losing the shadow detail in stuff on the ground. It is too soon to speak definitively of course but so far it feels like the tipping point...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Perhaps I'm missing something but is there a reason why you've posted this in the Sony forum?
I invited the mods to remove it if they consider it irrelevant and I posted it because for a lot of photographers I know, including myself, the D8xx and Sony A7r are competitors for their time and money. But I am perfectly happy for it to be removed.

lambert

I invited the mods to remove it if they consider it irrelevant and I posted it because for a lot of photographers I know, including myself, the D8xx and Sony A7r are competitors for their time and money. But I am perfectly happy for it to be removed.
Fine by me. I couldn't see the connection and was genuinely curious.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I do not care in what forum it is, but I must say I really like this thread!

I feel there is lot of competition between D810 and A7r, although I still prefer the "old school" approach from Nikon till today. Owning the D800E I am now very close to pull the trigger for the D810. And forget the Sony at least for the next incarnation period.

Many thanks Tim!

stephengilbert

The problem with putting it here is that it appears to be trolling.

Putting a favorable review or comment of one camera in a thread dealing with another camera is almost certain to elicit the kind of "mine's better than yours" discussion almost certain to annoy someone.

k-hawinkler

I think this kind of discussion fits in both the Nikon and Sony forum.
After all the sensors are related.
I certainly use my D800E and A7R in a complementay fashion.
The D810 doesn't seem so far to be enough of an improvement for me to warrant an upgrade.

Annna T

The problem with putting it here is that it appears to be trolling.

Putting a favorable review or comment of one camera in a thread dealing with another camera is almost certain to elicit the kind of "mine's better than yours" discussion almost certain to annoy someone.
Well, nobody took it as trolling, one day after, no one even took the pain to say a word for the A7r. I was curious about DXO results and came to the conclusion that I won't see much difference between the Nikon and the A7r. Anyway I find the DSLRs way to big and to heavy to drag around, so I'm just happy that the A7r remains a close competitor to the D810 :).

iiiNelson

I didn't take it as trolling myself. I just don't think stats tell the whole story. One of my favorite cameras of all time received relatively poor ratings there. Doesn't mean I don't love it (even if I no longer own it.)

Tim still owns his A7r and I'm sure it will be Sony overtaking Nikon again after Photokina. Won't matter though if it doesn't fit my needs.

mjm6

Well, it is trolling, but Tim gets a pass because of his status here apparently...

I looked at the review, and I don't see how you are finding a difference in your images Tim? It appears that the only real separation point on DR is at the base ISO (64), and beyond that, the two cameras are essentially comparable.

I suspect that the difference you are seeing has to do with the way the camera handles exposure and shadow recovery.

Many people have said that they can bring up the shadows of their a7/a7r images by 2-3 stops very easily and with good results. All you have to do is retain the highlights and perform a slight bit of shadow recovery and you may achieve comparable results with the a7 that you have.

---Michael

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Admin note: Comparative discussions of top-level cameras are inevitable. I don't see this one as trolling. First off, DXO themselves made the comparison of the two top cameras -- the new D810 and Sony A7r -- so it seems a fitting post in both forums, which was done. (You will note the same thing happened when the A7r was "the new top dog" over the D800E in the Nikon forum -- no Sony users complained about that, but nor did any Nikon shooters :).) The sensors are related as well, so it seems a fitting discussion for readers who have BOTH systems, but use the cameras in different ways for different purposes. As such, they would probably like to discuss relative merits to each with other like--minded users. Trolling in my view would be to say, "I've got the best new whizbanger and your old whateverbrand sucks." This is clearly not the case here, and in fact Tim was sensitive to doing it and why he added the caveat. Instead it was presented as an opportunity to discuss how much the increased DXO stats mean to you as real world photographers -- moreover, it's a good discussion for the plethora of lurkers who land here trying to decide between camera types for a new or first-time purchase. As regular posters on GetDPI, YOUR opinions matter --- no matter what side you're on! Just keep it friendly ;)

If you happen to not be interested in this type of discussion, you can easily ignore the thread.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well said Jack. These type of discussions usually bring up other related subjects as well like Ergos, processing and such besides the fine tuning of the OEMs themselves . Myself I don't defend any brand. I like what I like but I always keep my eye on everything to figure out what may work best overall for me. Obviously this is so close in comparison by the numbers in this case it's more about what you can draw out if them in the real world. Now if the Nikons numbers where heavily weighted than certainly something to consider. But either way these are top in there class.
DXO is fine but it never tells the end story which does not take processing into account and that bugs me some. So real world at least to me is more important but again you have to take all the data as pieces of a puzzle and make solid buying decisions. To me this is far to close by the numbers.

philip_pj

It's very likely that we are 'over the hump' regarding Dynamic Range; it might be that we now have a plate full and don't need much more...the a7r almost never leaves anything behind at either end when well-exposed in high brightness range images as it is. And as you say Guy, even more lurks for access in post-processing.

I am very happy for the Nikon shooters - DSLRs are fine low ISO landscape devices, so it is playing to a strength, but you are into Velvia territory light-wise to realise the slight gain. At the other end, it is all in the 'red zone', and a dead heat everywhere else.

As an old E6 shooter reviewing old material, what a difference any FF camera has made. I'd like to see Canon get with the program for their legions, however. The other thought is this - the mighty 36mp sensor is two years old...does Sony have something up their sleeve besides their arm? This is where competition is great, they all try harder to make our lives easier.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I do not care in what forum it is, but I must say I really like this thread!

I feel there is lot of competition between D810 and A7r, although I still prefer the "old school" approach from Nikon till today. Owning the D800E I am now very close to pull the trigger for the D810. And forget the Sony at least for the next incarnation period.

Many thanks Tim!
Thank you... You might like the comparisons I've posted over on the nikon forum...