The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focus Point Setup on A7R

Transposure

Hey Guys,
I have a question about the A7R relating to the focus point selection.

Before I ask the question, I would like to offer an example of how I use my 1Dx for very speedy and accurate focus, since I am trying to emulate this technique as closely as possible given the Sony's design constraints...

With my 1Dx, I have the front dial set for aperture and shutter speed (with a combined button push for one of them). The rear thumb dial is strictly to select the focus point. As I spin the rear wheel, the focus points cycle around an oval shape in the viewfinder (ring of fire). So, I can quickly spin the wheel and select a focus point that is closest to my subject's eye, irrespective of landscape or portrait camera orientation. This is second nature to me as I have done it this way since 2000 with my first 1Ds. Between that and the back-button focus, I can select and achieve focus and fire a shot within milliseconds with a high degree of accuracy. It virtually eliminates the focus>recompose methodology, and the inherent issue of throwing the image out of focus in the process.

So, now, with the A7R....
I am currently using it with the focus>recompose methodology and it kills me that I have this big, bad, sensor and I have to move the whole system after center point focusing. Ugh.
In an effort to fix this, I have assigned Custom Button C1 to "Focus Area". So, I would press C1, then press the center button of the rear jog wheel and then press the 4 directional edges of the rear jog dial to move the focus point around. BOY IS THAT SLOW!!

And now my question....

Is there a faster method to select a different focus point?

In an effort to fix this, I have assigned Custom Button C1 to "Focus Area". So, I would press C1, then press the center button of the rear jog wheel and then press the 4 directional edges of the rear jog dial to move the focus point around. BOY IS THAT SLOW!!

And now my question....

Is there a faster method to select a different focus point?
in my setup for A7, I just press center button and then I move the focusing point...

So, I can quickly spin the wheel and select a focus point that is closest to my subject's eye
I was always thinking that camera like 1Dx is advanced enough to use its metering sensor (isn't it like 100K pixels) to do a least a primitive face detection + eyes/face focusing like any, even most primitive mirrorless camera that costs $100-200 new... isn't it the case ? :wtf: then...

Transposure

deejjjaaaa,
Thanks for your reply.
Can you tell me how you have set up the focus point to be ready to move with the center button?
Thanks!

sirimiri

^that's pretty much it. The only thing I would amend is which menu choices they are:

Menu -> (gear setting/pictogram, then sub-menu no. 6 at far right) Custom Key Settings (top choice) -> scroll from (1) to (2), at (2) the top choice is "Center Button" -> set that to "Standard"

...and you are off and running!

Thanks, Deejjjaaaa. I think I spelled that right :)