The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R - shutter vibration issues ?

horshack

These A7r shutter vibration threads invariably conclude with some saying they don't see the issue in their daily use while others do. Ultimately what it comes down to is whether you shoot in scenarios and focal lengths where the issue will manifest. If you never or rarely shoot in those scenarios then there is no issue for you. If you shoot in those scenarios all the time then the issue looms large.

turtle

I think one thing needs to be reiterated:

The shutter vibration issue is not a figment of peoples' imaginations. It is real. It is a fact; it can be proven and repeated. It has anything from a very minor to massive impact on IQ. So, moving on:

The absence, presence and extent is related to many factors, but focal length and shutter speed are the key issues. Vertical/horizontal orientation is also important, as is where the tripod mounts (body base or adaptor base/lens collar).

I still own an A7R and could not care less, because I shoot short lenses almost exclusively. If I do buy the 70200 f4 OS, I have an A7 to put it on so wont have problems there.

So, although it is not remotely a problem for me, I fully recognise it is a massive problem for others. This issue does not have to be black or white. There are shades of grey in between!

FWIW, I could repeat the blur every time at certain shutter speeds with an adapted 90mm Elmarit-M. With such a lens I know I need to avoid 1/30th to 1/125th, with 1/50th to 1/80th (roughly) being the worst with my combo.