The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash for Sony?

Rawfa

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a flash with the following specs:

- Compatible with the A7 and the A99
- Powerful (good enough to use with a large fast zoom at a wedding)
- Long lasting battery
- Can be triggered wirelessly if necessary
- TTL
- If possible...not very expensive :D

I can see my options with the new multi-interface are kind of limited http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...e)&ci=647&N=4168864822+4062787807+4043133129&

What would you recommend?

Last edited:

Rawfa

I did some research and there´s a lot of people complaining about the HVL-F60M overheating. Does anyone know if this is an issue with the HVL-F43M too? Also, what are the main advantages of the HVL-F60M?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a flash with the following specs:

- Compatible with the A7 and the A99
- Powerful (good enough to use with a large fast zoom at a wedding)
- Long lasting battery
- Can be triggered wirelessly if necessary
- If possible...not very expensive :D

I can see my options with the new multi-interface are kind of limited On Camera Flashes | B&H Photo Video

What would you recommend?
well, you did not list TTL as what you need - so just go ahead and buy any flash that can be triggered by a center pin only (and that means you can trigger it wirelessly too) ... w/o TTL you can get that cheap and poweful at the same time :watch:

flash reviews are available @

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Sony 43 will overheat if you push it really hard. Normal use it holds very well but if your banging rapid fire than it will shut down for about 3 minutes.

Guy Mancuso

The 43 works on all my cams with TTL. A7r,A6000 and A77II.I think its one of the better choices . Not screamingly to large and gets the job done.

Rawfa

Thanks again, guy. I´ve used the HVL-F20M this weekend and it´s a cool little portable flash that works well if the subject it´s not too far. The refresh times were not too bad on the A99 but it did struggle a bit with the A7...also, when I took a photo with the A99 it fired immediately, but it blinked like 2 or 3 times before it fired with the A7...which as REALLY annoying.

Guy Mancuso

I just bought one for fun but more for my A6000 as my travel cam. Nice to have a little flash handy. I just went out and finally shot my 16-40 F4 Sony for that kit. So far looks to be a nice lens for kicking around but not exactly cheap either.

as you added TTL to what you want - consider Metz 64... even if you pay B&H prices it is only $50 more than 43 but 1 stop more firepower... if you consider using adapter from old hotshoe your choices for TTL flashes will include big Nissin and Phottix Mitros and probably more 3rd parties

Rawfa

I've found an F58AM here in Rio for a nice price. Would all everything work using an adapter? Also, I've read some horror stories regarding this flash an overheating...

You might want to wait for the Nissin i40, smaller and lighter than the 43M with similar functionality (sans the awesome Sony cobra head design)

Rawfa

That is very cool. I've just watched a video in spanish and the flash looks really compact, it's more powerful than the HVL-F20M, it's almost us$150 less expensive than the HVL-F43M and it fits the new Sony models without any adapters!

I could not find the Sony version anywhere though...

That is very cool. I've just watched a video in spanish and the flash looks really compact, it's more powerful than the HVL-F20M, it's almost us$150 less expensive than the HVL-F43M and it fits the new Sony models without any adapters!

I could not find the Sony version anywhere though...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nissin-Digital/403086046406602

They just released it for Sony so you might want to wait until September for worldwide availability.

2WK

I just wish sony could figure out how to use the flashes AF assist with a mirrorless body such as the A7.

I just wish sony could figure out how to use the flashes AF assist with a mirrorless body such as the A7.
CDAF requires uninterrupted (during the whole focusing timeframe) illumination of some area with more or less solid (patterned beam might not work) light...

however if you have a PDAF-on-sensor assisted CDAF or purely PDAF-on-sensor then may be there is a chance of firmware fix to use old style AF beams... however concern (patterned beam) is the sheer difference between sensel-sized area for PDAF-on-sensor detector within the frame vs the size of frame area covered by one off-sensor-PDAF-sensor... just my $0.02

Malina DZ

I've found an F58AM here in Rio for a nice price. Would all everything work using an adapter? Also, I've read some horror stories regarding this flash an overheating...
That's your best bet if F60M is out of price range. Overheating is an issue with any speedlight when shooting at high sync speeds of 1/250s and over continuously. Get an External Flash Battery Pack to mitigate overheating.