The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A7S

G43

Hi John.

Thank you for your nice comment.

I've not yet faced AF problems. Not even in almost darkness. Seems the camera need very little contrast to be able to track focus.
Accuracy with the 35 and 55 mm lenses is very high. Manual focus using magnified view may help at times where the object is textured layers and you wish 100% control of focus plane.

jfirneno

Hi John.

Thank you for your nice comment.

I've not yet faced AF problems. Not even in almost darkness. Seems the camera need very little contrast to be able to track focus.
Accuracy with the 35 and 55 mm lenses is very high. Manual focus using magnified view may help at times where the object is textured layers and you wish 100% control of focus plane.
You're welcome!

I'm glad to hear that the AF is working well in low light. When I used the A7S it seemed to me that it was an excellent camera for both daytime and low light uses. I intend to pick one up very soon. Then I'll add some shots to this thread.

Regards,
John

iiiNelson

I'm still trying to hold out until after Photokina to add this model to the fold... So far so good but so many great pictures here.

ashwinrao1

Yes, Photokina is close. My guess is that Sony will release one FF E mount...a low cost FF without an EVF, but with "best in class" focusing...Just a guess, but this positions them well to offer something to those toying with the idea of an A7 series camera, but don't want to pay the price...I'd say....$999.

The A7s is a revelation for me...Silent shutter is the biggest benefit, followed by ISO performance. I have only really been using M lenses, though I did snag a 55 at a great price....

Coupled with the CV VM-E mount close focus adapter, I have many opportunities to find new creative uses for my M lenses and discrete methods of shooting in any light. Comparing files ot my M9 base ISO files, it's hard to distinguish other than that the DR is better for the A7s....

G43

Ashwin

You might be very right about the DR superiority to many cameras. I can't tell except the S is superior to my EM1 in this respect.

The S has 3 strong qualities:

- High ISO up to 12800 (IMO)
- DR
- Silent shooting

And then the 4K not to forget.

I enjoy the camera a lot and I've completed the lens collection I need.

Contax G90
FE 55
FE 35
Zeiss Distagon 21

This is the coolest and stealthiest set I have.

But there shall be no doubt the EM1 is still my no. 1 camera for general usage and comfortable shooting.

G43

Perhaps I am repeating myself, but where to share ones love affair with the S?

The last 3 days I shot a series and I must say the files are looking gorgeous. Far more gorgeous than the owner of the camera ;-)
There's some kind of intensity to the rendering RAW out. Yeah.. MF look is maybe one way to express it? But of course the MF look is not because of resolution which obviously is not that high vs the mainstream hyper MP cameras.
When converting to B&W, where suitable, it is even nicer again what shows up. Tonality is really top notch with this camera.
And there's more likeable about the S. The relatively small files are easy to handle on lesser CPU power on mobile devices.
What else? Oh yeah... the pictures are missing here ... always leave your shots in a pot for some days before curating and processing the chosen ones. That helps to be more objective about one's own portfolio. My 5 cents only of course :eek:

mmbma

G43. do you use lightroom or c1? I haven't tried the raw rendering from c1 pro yet and I am wonder if any one had compared?

G43

I use ACR/PS. It would be interesting to know if anyone compared. There would be a difference.

RiversPhoto

The A7s is a revelation for me...Silent shutter is the biggest benefit, followed by ISO performance. I have only really been using M lenses, though I did snag a 55 at a great price....

Coupled with the CV VM-E mount close focus adapter, I have many opportunities to find new creative uses for my M lenses and discrete methods of shooting in any light. Comparing files ot my M9 base ISO files, it's hard to distinguish other than that the DR is better for the A7s....
I would completely agree. I felt the A7 was close, but the A7s is great for me and the type of photography I pursue. I have keepers with the CV 21, Leica 24 2.8, 28 2.0 and 35mm 2.0 Asph. I leave 50mm or longer on the A7.

Auto ISO with manual SS and Aperture is also a revelation with the A7s. I apologize to whomever wrote this first for not giving them credit, but this is an amazing way to set up the camera. I start with the manual settings at 250th and F4 and go shoot! I don't care what the ISO is during capture because I know it will be between the preset of 200-12,000 and will clean up nicely in post.

I haven't touched my M9 in 4 months...

Michael