The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A7S

G43

Thank you Josh

At least I have decided to park the selling mood for a while.
Buying new gear and selling used shouldn't be a non-trivial impulsive act.
I guess everybody have experienced moments where you felt *No, this is not gonna work for me* even you worked a lot to make it happen. In my case I only got frustrated I was unable to replicate the X100 color palette. A perhaps very stupid and only criteria to engage in purchasing a brand new system and just because the cameras have something in common. 12 MP easy handling files. Silent mode. Good ISO performance, stealthy size and things like that.
I was overwhelmed when I saw the clean files the 7s crafted and thought.. cool.. I'll then handle the punchy colors in post and tweak them to show the X100 look. Mission completed. And it was the latter that caused me the pain. I couldn't. It's an in camera hardware/firmware thing.
I have been a bit naive in this respect. I think I should have known.

On the other hand I came to like the 7s a lot for what it is. It really has it strengths and us who tried it we know what they are .
But frankly in this way the camera more became a symbol of gear collection luxury, a syndrome I have tried to avoid. Any attempt to pack it back to the boxes and write a sales add failed so far. It could be a sign that I am allowing my self the the luxury to keep it :)

G43

...keep it
:)
thorkil
Yes Thorkil... as some says *if you can't get what you love, then love what you get*
At least the camera stays for a while until it is pretty clear to me if I really need it.
Such things normally shows when you leave the door and seeing which camera you grabbed and it could easily show that it's the 7s when we have critical low light and no tripod in the pocket ;)

biglouis

Bay area sunset: 90 Elmar-C f/4 and A7S

This is definitely not what I would get using a 90 Elmar-C with the an A7. The lens performed so poorly I sold it and got an Elmarit 90/2.8 which works well. Must be something about the A7s sensor because this is superb.

LouisB

Viramati

Great set Ashwin. Even though the 28/1.4 is jut to expensive for my pocket at the moment I would be interested to know how it performs in the corners? Is it a load better the the summicron 28 asph? Thanks

ferrellmc

FE 24-70 Iso 10000
Nice Shot Ario! I take lots of shots of my active 4 yr old grand daughter with my A7R. She is so active I miss many shots with manual focus, slight OOF on the eyes and with AF locking on is hit or miss. Are you using AF or MF.

All the best!

horshack

Quick tip for those who shoot at very high ISO (> 12,800) on the A7s and process in Lightroom or Photoshop. The default color noise reduction slider value is 25, which is far too much on the A7s. That value causes significant desaturation of colors, making them look washed out. I'm usually between 8-14; I use the lowest value that gets rid of the color noise speckles.

Nice Shot Ario! I take lots of shots of my active 4 yr old grand daughter with my A7R. She is so active I miss many shots with manual focus, slight OOF on the eyes and with AF locking on is hit or miss. Are you using AF or MF.

All the best!
Thank you, I have used AF on this occasion as I always try to do with AF lenses; with the A7r and A7 (which I also own) it is not as easy as with the A7s to AF fast moving kids.

This one was only at 12,800 ISO with the FE 35/2.8 ;)

No noise reduction. Several other in the series were as high as 32,000 ISO and looked similar.

AndyPtak

Does anyone have experience with long exposures at night - but not high ISO? I'm wondering if this camera would be as good as a P45+ in this instance? Thanks.

benroy

Subscriber Member
re: Viramati's making big ones out of little ones...what's wrong with doing that? You get nice large pics with a click, and they're just as big as the Hanseatic League member's pics.
Small pics get noticed if they are good, and your two portraits are quite good in my opinion...there are lots of lousy/mediocre big pics on these pages...it ain't the size that matters, it's the quality of the image.

Roy Benson

Viramati

Here are couple more from the 'renovation project'
1st and 2nd are with the 24-70 and the 3rd with the leica WATE
I suppose I am primarily a documentary photographer and this is where I find the A7s shines. I have been a leica user for many years but am finding the Sony A7 system to be very good for what I do. The WATE I wouldn't normally use on anything other than the M(240) but I thought I would give it a go on the A7s and seems to perform pretty well.

View attachment 82970

View attachment 82971

View attachment 82969

biglouis

A couple form the 'Renovation Project'

A7s and 24-70 together just rock and since I usually hate zooms for me that is saying something

View attachment 82967

View attachment 82968

By the way how do I get the site to show the larger images without having to click on the smaller ones? Thanks
Massively impressed with the quality of these, especially the out of focus area.

Counter intuitive that the 24-70 and the A7s would be so good together.

LouisB

Viramati

Massively impressed with the quality of these, especially the out of focus area.

Counter intuitive that the 24-70 and the A7s would be so good together.

LouisB
Hi Louis
I'm interested to know why you would say that?
Interestingly I am finding the the A7s have a fantastic greyscale tonality when converted in Silverefexpro, something I don't really see to quite the same degree with the A7 and M(240). Exactly why this is the case I don't know but it is a pleasant surprise

CharlesK

Hi David,
I am finding the same with the A7s and using the 50 Cron DR, 50 Lux Asph, 75 Lux and 90 Cron AA. It is great, as I was not expecting this at all :)