The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A7S

Thanks.

I'd like to take the credit but Porsche and the Texas weather really did most of the work - and the little Minolta 20mm.

That white platform and white car equalized well with the brightness in the clouds. I dialed in +3/4 exp comp but ended pulling back exposure some in LR, adding contrast and a little black clipping as well as pushed shadows a bit.

There is also a LR profile for the Minolta which helps clean up the slight mustache distortion of the lens and lights up some vignetting.

WHOA! LOVE the look of this one, as if I am looking at glossy page of one of finest auto magazines! And those whites, blacks, and reds in it, they are so rich! Could you please share with us how you took (did you use any filters?) it and how you processed it?

jfirneno

Well, I blame DocMoore

Not Another New Camera?
Matty with the A7s and the 55 f1.8[/CENTER][/SIZE]
Hello Jono:
As someone who has also shot the A7 and A7R (but with a definitely different primary camera system position) I am very interested in your impressions of the A7S. I shot with the A7S back in July for a few days and was pleasantly surprised at how it handled normal daylight shooting. Many people are hesitant about a 12 mpixel sensor thinking it will restrict larger prints and cropping but looking at my files from that shoot it didn't seem too restrictive (granted I wasn't trying for anything bigger than 11" X 17" in that case). Also I want to see what others think of low light usage. I found that the 6400 ISO performance wasn't enormously better than the A7R noise level. It's when you go above that ISO setting that noise performance becomes noticeable. But what I didn't determine well enough was how much the low light focus of the A7S exceeds the A7R. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Regards,
John

But what I didn't determine well enough was how much the low light focus of the A7S exceeds the A7R. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Regards,
John
I don't have the A7r but do have both the 7 and the 7s and can tell you that the low light AF capability of the 7s is astounding.

While the 55/1.8 will badly hunt in low light on the 7, the 7s will zero in with deadly accuracy and no fuss.

Game changer.

jfirneno

I don't have the A7r but do have both the 7 and the 7s and can tell you that the low light AF capability of the 7s is astounding.

While the 55/1.8 will badly hunt in low light on the 7, the 7s will zero in with deadly accuracy and no fuss.

Game changer.
Thanks very much for the feedback. It's always highly useful.

I waited for Photokina to end just in case a new A7 camera arrival might knock down the price of the A7S and save me some money. As much as I love to get as much info as I can on new models before buying, it's never a complete picture because I can never wait long enough. Waiting from July to October is almost a personal best for me!

Regards,
John

jonoslack

I'll come back with more thoughts later, I'm a bit cautious about my current feelings - I don't want to get carried away!

Anyway, here are a couple of shots I liked from yesterday:

Both shots with the 55 f1.8

Paratom

I knew it was only a matter of time.
I am counting the days myself trying to refrain.
+1
Please continue to Report back about the A7s and how it works with Leica glass.
I would also be interested how much you feel it extends the high ISO Quality over the Leica M Body/sensor. (how many f-stops, and from which ISO on would the A7s move ahead of the Leica M.)

jonoslack

I knew it!!!:)

Congratulations. And what lenses did you get?

Take care.
Hi There Ray
It was all Bob Moore's fault (docmoore) - his comments on your thread pushed me over the edge.

I already had the 55 f1.8 FE and the 24-70 f4 FE from the days of the A7 and the A7r - I was pretty sure that there would be the right body sooner or later. So - no new lenses, but I can see the attraction of the 70-200 (which clearly isn't great on the A7r). Just for now I'll keep with what I've got.

all the best

Viramati

+1
I would also be interested how much you feel it extends the high ISO Quality over the Leica M Body/sensor. (how many f-stops, and from which ISO on would the A7s move ahead of the Leica M.)
Having the M, A7 and A7s I would say that both the A7 and A7s move ahead of the M by at least iso 1600 and that the A7s move ahead of the A7 at around iso3200-6400. The main differences for me really shows in the DR at higher iso with the A7s when compared especially to the leica M where banding and colour cast start to show up when you try to pull details out of the shadows at anything above 1600. In reality there is absolutely no comparison that can be made between the leica and either of the Sonys at higher iso with the A7s just sprinting away like Hussein Bolt. How many usable extra stops you get really depends on what you photograph and how you process and print but I have images I would be happy to print at iso 25600 which is a 4 stop difference and even 51200 can be usable.
I find The A7s works well with the 135/3.4 apo-telyt, Elmarit-M 90, lux 50 asph and WATE. Doesn't work well with the Summicron 28 asph

jonoslack

+1
HI There Tom
I'm not sure that it's going to be any kind of M replacement - I've never really found the high ISO a constraint, mainly because one uses fast glass. But I will certainly try - to be honest I'm more interested in the look (if it's different).

What is fascinating is that I had these two lenses (the 55 f1.8 and the 24-70 FE) when I was playing with the A7 and the A7r - the 55 was plenty sharp, but the zoom was disappointing, and neither of them seemed to have any obvious character . . . . . but on the A7s they seem to sparkle and shine (go figure).

Look at this for instance - it was taken in rather boring overcast light - f8 ISO 100 with the zoom at 70mm. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel that it has a real presence and pop about it . . . what do you think.

Caspar searches for rabbits

jfirneno

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel that it has a real presence and pop about it . . . what do you think.
It has pop. Maybe it's the larger photosites. It seems counter-intuitive that just by looking at the macro-level result (the whole photo) we should be able to tell the difference between a sensor whose photosites are X microns wide and one thats photosites are Y microns wide but it seems to be the case. Or maybe Sony has baked in some firmware magic. Interesting.

Regards,
John