The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A7S

jonoslack

It has pop. Maybe it's the larger photosites. It seems counter-intuitive that just by looking at the macro-level result (the whole photo) we should be able to tell the difference between a sensor whose photosites are X microns wide and one thats photosites are Y microns wide but it seems to be the case. Or maybe Sony has baked in some firmware magic. Interesting.

Regards,
John
HI John
I don't think it's likely to be any intentional magic . . I have to say it reminds me slightly of the files from the A900 (lovely camera).

It's strange what one can (and can't) see in photos which have been smashed for the web.

all the best

When I first purchased the 55mm I was not immediately bowled over by its character and that sentiment has been repeated ad nauseam around the web.

But many months and images later, I can always identify one of my (and others') 55mm shots. I think it has a wonderful character - part modern for sure but with an equal part of classic Zeiss thrown in there.

And agreed Jono, that it does seem to have something a little extra on the 7s - but I think that appears to be the case for most lenses situated in front of that juicy 12mp sensor. I'm currently in love with the Minolta AF 20mm/2.8 and will be curious to compare its excellent performance on the 7s to the 16-35.

Best,
Chad

What is fascinating is that I had these two lenses (the 55 f1.8 and the 24-70 FE) when I was playing with the A7 and the A7r - the 55 was plenty sharp, but the zoom was disappointing, and neither of them seemed to have any obvious character . . . . . but on the A7s they seem to sparkle and shine (go figure).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great photos, Jono. They confirm what I have suspected for a while: This is a camera I should buy and that probably suits my way of living with a camera perfectly.

CharlesK

Great work Jono! There is a definite magic about the files from the A7s. Only 12 MP, but they seem very different. My wife and Marisa, spent a few weeks in Spain visiting her father, and this is the first time I did not take a M9/M240. This time I packed the A7r/A7s with the WATE, 35 Lux FLE, 50 Nocti f/1.0, 50 Lux Asph, FE 35 and 55, 50 Cron Rigid DR and 75 Lux. Marisa loves the AF with the A7s and the fact that is completely silent. I did not miss the M240 which did surprise me!

Ashwin, and everyone amazing shots in this thread!!

A7s and 50 Cron Rigid DR

A7s and 50 Noct f/1.0

A7s FE 55

Paratom

HI There Tom
I'm not sure that it's going to be any kind of M replacement - I've never really found the high ISO a constraint, mainly because one uses fast glass. But I will certainly try - to be honest I'm more interested in the look (if it's different).

What is fascinating is that I had these two lenses (the 55 f1.8 and the 24-70 FE) when I was playing with the A7 and the A7r - the 55 was plenty sharp, but the zoom was disappointing, and neither of them seemed to have any obvious character . . . . . but on the A7s they seem to sparkle and shine (go figure).

Look at this for instance - it was taken in rather boring overcast light - f8 ISO 100 with the zoom at 70mm. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel that it has a real presence and pop about it . . . what do you think.
Wonderfull Image,
I was allways quite happy with the D700 IQ compared to the D3x I had before. I never understood why but low Pixel density seems to help some lenses to shine.
Same for Images I see from the Nikon DF.

After getting into the T-System (and liking it quite a bit...I know I am in the minority in this regard on getdpi) and not really missing higher ISO than 1600/3200 often (which works ok with the M) I Need to resist to start another Experiment...even though I admit the A7s sounds really very temting I try to resist for now.

rayyan

Some excellent images being posted.

Jono, since you might have the corn 75 apo, could you post some pics with it on the A7s, please.

Best.

jonoslack

HI There Ray
I'll see what I can do - It'll be later in today . . . in the meantime:

Here are two shots with the 135 APO Telyt at f3.4

Butternut Squash

Dignity

jonoslack

Some excellent images being posted.

Jono, since you might have the corn 75 apo, could you post some pics with it on the A7s, please.

Best.
Hi Ray
here are two - both with the Macro Adapter M and the 75 APO Summicronl.

I'll try and do some more relevant shots later on.

fotografz

Holy-Moly Jono :thumbs:, what ISO was that shot at?

This seems to be the "Fat Pixel" camera that defies the meg race mentality.

Good works!

- Marc

jonoslack

Holy-Moly Jono :thumbs:, what ISO was that shot at?

This seems to be the "Fat Pixel" camera that defies the meg race mentality.

Good works!

- Marc
HI Marc
I was just thinking about you, and wondered whether you'd tried it yet.

I bought it rather on a whim after reading various people saying how nice the files were (Bob Moore, Michael Reichmann and others). I have to say, they are gorgeous, and the silent shutter and high ISO don't exactly spoil the party!

I'm going to try some 25" prints this afternoon (but I don't doubt they'll be lovely)

You should borrow one for a day or so!

CharlesK

Wonderful set again Jono!! I somehow see a similarity with your dog, and the texture of the blossom of the macro shot.

Some more images from Pontevedra, Spain

A7s and 50 Cron DR

Evening cutting and enjoying jamon!

35 Lux FLE Sunrise

50 Lux Asph

jfirneno

Here are a couple with the Leica R 80-200 F4 zoom
Martin the Cockerel
One of Martin's many wives
My hat's off to Martin. It's as much as I can do to keep from being hen-pecked by one wife (Honey, I kid, I kid)!

Jono:

It's hard to know where camera, lens and photographer get credit with your excellent photos (probably some of each). I'll be interested in your printing experiment. My A7S will be arriving at my home momentarily. However since I'm at work I won't be able to play with until after dark. Kudos to you and all these other fine photographers for providing information (and inspiration) to the rest of us interested in this new camera.

Regards,
John

Chris C

........I'm going to try some 25" prints this afternoon!................
Jono - I for one have been waiting for feedback about larger prints, I hope they are detailed, torture files. I look forward to your print feedback. [Would 30 inches be a non-starter?].

............. Chris

Been shooting my son's middle school football games here in Austin, TX. For the off field action I've been experimenting with the A7s + Contax G 45/2 on a Techart Ver 3 adapter. The AF is adequate and I really enjoy the character of the Zeiss.