The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The most amazing thing happened today...

Lonnie Utah

I was at a photo event with both a Sony and Canon photo tent with gear for loan. The Sony tent was very busy and had lots of various gear for use. The canon tent, not so much.

I was truly taken aback. Is the tide turning?

& FWIW, I got to handle a very nice A7R and the brand new 70-200 f/4 FE mount lens.

MCTuomey

I was at a photo event with both a Sony and Canon photo tent with gear for loan. The Sony tent was very busy and had lots of various gear for use. The canon tent, not so much.

I was truly taken aback. Is the tide turning?

& FWIW, I got to handle a very nice A7R and the brand new 70-200 f/4 FE mount lens.
Sounds like you're comfortable with the tide. Good one. You're pleased to handle the gear, you enjoyed it.

Your phrase "truly taken aback" seems disingenous or at least hyperbole, or at worst troll bait. Are you taken aback by the fact that the Sony forum here at getdpi has more activity than the Canon forum by a factor of, what, ten?

Sorry, not playing.

Lonnie Utah

No. I was honestly shocked that the Sony folks had more traffic through their tent than the Canon guys. Why would I troll the sony forum, with pro sony info? If I was trying to troll someone, wouldn't it be the canon folks by posting something like this in the canon forums?

Look, as a Sony shooter I've long relegated myself to the shooting "little brother" of camera companies. However, I've said for a very long time that if Canon and Nikon didn't get their acts together when it comes to mirrorless camera options that Sony was going to overtake them in the market place. Today was my first visual evidence that this actually might be happening, and I was simply expressing that sentiment.

When the Sony guys show up with metabones adapters for Canon, Nikon and Leica so those folks could also use the Sony bodies, you know their on the top of their marketing game.

Also, FWIW, I found shooting with the A7r very intuitive and the experience was a combination of shooting with my A900 and my NEX-7

MCTuomey

I was honestly shocked that the Sony folks had more traffic through their tent than the Canon guys.

However, I've said for a very long time that if Canon and Nikon didn't get their acts together when it comes to mirrorless camera options that Sony was going to overtake them in the market place. Today was my first visual evidence that this actually might be happening, and I was simply expressing that sentiment.
Well, you state you've said for a long time that Canon and Nikon would lose in the mirrorless marketplace if they didn't get their acts together. So, you're "honestly shocked" and "truly taken aback" when you see evidence of your prediction. What, you didn't believe yourself in the first place?

I would think you wouldn't be surprised at all given what you say you've said re Canon and Nikon losing consumer interest, that's all.

It's not unusual to feign polite surprise at a desired or predicted outcome so as not to appear to ... gloat. Apologies if I misread your tone.

Last edited:

Lonnie Utah

Well, you state you've said for a long time that Canon and Nikon would lose in the mirrorless marketplace if they didn't get their acts together. So, you're "honestly shocked" and "truly taken aback" when you see evidence of your prediction. What, you didn't believe yourself in the first place?
I've also said that the time frame was 5-10 years. That's where the surprise comes from. Maybe it's sooner?

horshack

I would guess a large component of the traffic disparity is related to release cycles - Sony has new products whereas Canon currently does not.

Uaiomex

Sony is currently the most exciting camera manufacturer. They keep on spitting amazing features. I have the feeling they won't stop anytime soon. That's why the traffic is 20X denser at Sony venues than in Canon's or Nikon's.
But once Canon sort things ahead and start the marketing campaigns of their new sensor technology, the traffic will shift heavily for a while. Perhaps Sony is determined to become Numero Uno but Canon will be one tough bone to grind.
Eduardo

fotografz

If you made that prediction as long as 10 years ago, you're brilliant ... and I'm not kidding.
Yes, a 2004 prediction would have made Lonnie a "Brillant" Psychic since Sony and Minolta didn't start collaborating until 2005, and Sony didn't acquire Minolta DSLR assets until 2006. The first real shot over the bow of Canon and Nikon was in 2009 with the FF 24 meg A900 for $3,000 or less.

However, I wouldn't be too quick to write off Canon or Nikon.

- Marc

bradhusick

One thing I find annoying about Sony is that they introduce new cameras much faster than they update firmware on existing ones, if ever.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would guess a large component of the traffic disparity is related to release cycles - Sony has new products whereas Canon currently does not.
+1 It could be a bit worrying though, that Sony seems to launch a "revolutionary" new product more or less every month, while Canon hasn't really launched anything of significance since the 5D II. That was back in 2008. I'm not sure what would be the most annoying if I were a Canon or Sony user, but being neither, I choose not to worry ;)

fotografz

One thing I find annoying about Sony is that they introduce new cameras much faster than they update firmware on existing ones, if ever.
I think that this observation is what will eventually bite Sony on the bum. IMO, they are lucky that Nikon and Canon have been asleep at the wheel.

The Sony "Cavalcade of Cameras" has most certainly stirred up the marketplace. Yet, personally I am already growing weary of the Cornucopia of "almost there" stuff pouring out of them with little to no follow up. Their version of firmware improvements is a new camera. A seemingly smart short term sales approach I guess, but as a longer term strategy, it is already getting old really fast.

My other major irritation with them is how allergic they are to an intelligently organized and elegant interface. It's as if simplicity was against their religion. I cannot recall more confusion and discussions on how to do some basic operations, than with recent Sony cameras.

For 35mm stuff, I've been in the Sony camp since 2009-10 beginning with the A900 (a good start). In those 4 to 5 years their new products have earned zero loyalty from me. I'd bail in a New York heartbeat for something simpler in a smallish FF camera …. doesn't even need to be the size of the A7 series, just simpler and more elegant with some free follow up improvements.

- Marc

alajuela

+1 It could be a bit worrying though, that Sony seems to launch a "revolutionary" new product more or less every month, while Canon hasn't really launched anything of significance since the 5D II. That was back in 2008. I'm not sure what would be the most annoying if I were a Canon or Sony user, but being neither, I choose not to worry ;)
Hi

As a Canon User, I do chose not to worry, also think the 5DIII (For me the best 35mm I have used in 40 years) was a vast improvement over the 5DII - Sold my 1Ds III. Also having shot with the 1DX and spoken with sports, event, wild life users, - this is an incredible piece of equipment, it focuses before you even think about taking the shot.

I guess horses for courses, and looking forward to Canon newest release in the next 12 months, hoping for the following on a 5D model,

1. More Manual focus friendly, (interchangeable focus screens)
2. The Exposure point follows the the focus point. Like the old Ds models.
3. Perhaps a 26 - 28 meg sensor. with a 1 / 1.5 increase in DR.
4. 1 - 2 stop improvement on ISO.

If Fuji comes out with FF X - Pro 2 then I might skip over the 5D upgrade if Canon comes out with their big mega pixel Ds replacement and move to that.

People I know that have the Sony like them, but never temped me to move away from the digital Canon system in 35mm.

In the meantime I have enough to try and improve (in B&W, Image printing / processing, and MF) and be patient for Canon or Fuji.

Been thinking about some new Zeiss glass ;-)

Phil

fotografz

Hi

As a Canon User, I do chose not to worry, also think the 5DIII (For me the best 35mm I have used in 40 years) was a vast improvement over the 5DII - Sold my 1Ds III. Also having shot with the 1DX and spoken with sports, event, wild life users, - this is an incredible piece of equipment, it focuses before you even think about taking the shot.

I guess horses for courses, and looking forward to Canon newest release in the next 12 months, hoping for the following on a 5D model,

1. More Manual focus friendly, (interchangeable focus screens)
2. The Exposure point follows the the focus point. Like the old Ds models.
3. Perhaps a 26 - 28 meg sensor. with a 1 / 1.5 increase in DR.
4. 1 - 2 stop improvement on ISO.

If Fuji comes out with FF X - Pro 2 then I might skip over the 5D upgrade if Canon comes out with their big mega pixel Ds replacement and move to that.

People I know that have the Sony like them, but never temped me to move away from the digital Canon system in 35mm.

In the meantime I have enough to try and improve (in B&W, Image printing / processing, and MF) and be patient for Canon or Fuji.

Been thinking about some new Zeiss glass ;-)

Phil
I tend to agree. Dissing Canon as not on the ball may be more than an overstatement. Our addiction to questionable new tech just for the sake of it can put us on the wrong track sometimes. When they launched the 1DX, I thought to myself "Damn, that sounds like a perfect camera for what and how I shoot 35mm". Big is okay with me IF the camera performs at or above expectations, not below them. I ALWAYS thought 1 series Canons had the best interface, focused like lightening, and I've never been able to swap lenses in the heat of shooting a wedding as fast as I could with Canon.

Frankly, if I wasn't so heavily vested in Sony stuff, I'd just be using a 1DX and a few key lenses for my 35mm DSLR needs … and Leicas for the rest (M and S). However $7K for the body these days makes it a swap that's hard to even consider because 35mm DSLRs, SLTs or Mirrorless are the least of my interests.

- Marc

Ben Rubinstein

They are on the ball, they know they still have the largest sales despite not having any updates or the biggest DR or the most megapixels. They've been leaning back in their armchairs for years now just enjoying that fact. I have no doubt they have the plans and models all ready to ship the moment another manufacturer starts to catch up and leap frog again, they just don't feel the need to bother given those sales figures. Not sure I can blame them having a rest after the mad rush to lead the pack in innovation back in the early days of digital.

Annna T

They are on the ball, they know they still have the largest sales despite not having any updates or the biggest DR or the most megapixels. They've been leaning back in their armchairs for years now just enjoying that fact. I have no doubt they have the plans and models all ready to ship the moment another manufacturer starts to catch up and leap frog again, they just don't feel the need to bother given those sales figures. Not sure I can blame them having a rest after the mad rush to lead the pack in innovation back in the early days of digital.
I remember an interview of some Canon official who stated that photography was at a crossroad and that they had important developing choices to make in the near future, that these choices were critical and shouldn't lead the wrong way, (that was at least two years ago). Canon was answering to questions concerning both the fusion of photo and video and the emerging competition of the mirrorless bodies. My take on this is that they still don't know where to go and that their research department is sleeping. My first digital cam was a Canon G2 and my first DSLR a Canon D60 of 6 MB, back in 2002. At the time yes, they were offering the best sensors, but now, they are sleeping/hesitating. Sony and Olympus are more innovative.