The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The most amazing thing happened today...

fotografz

there might be a bright side or two. there is a much expanded interest in viewing and making images; bound to promote some creativity
those who want the quick and easy product now have a way to get it , but that only differentiates the quick product even more from the more studied work and separates the less serious photographers from the more serious

in today's market, i'm sure the camera makers go where the money is and that is the volume product, but that is the most competitive market as well. hopefully still leaves room for the development of the kind of gear we are interested in as a specialty market.
I'm not sure I completely agree with that portion of your post that I singled out.

How many times have we said to ourselves, "I can't really judge the quality of that image on the web". Yet, that is where 99% of images are now viewed … and probably an overwhelming majority of that on another smart phone, tablet, or iPad, rather than a 27" color calibrated monitor.

Creatively, people can get better at selecting the right light, get better at composition, and get more insightful with their content, but they do not need a 36 meg camera to do any of that.

The incredibly inspirational Apple ad campaign that ends with … "What Will Your Verse Be?" is what is happening out there … verses agonizing over corner sharpness at 200%. I take each of the instances in that ad as people who are "Serious" about it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiyIcz7wUH0

This human challenge, this direct connection to the artistic potential in everyone, is what the dozing complacent camera companies missed. It screamed undetected over their heads like a F-117 Nighthawk and eviscerated their cash base.

Now they will slug it out for the crumbs left behind.

Were I not already addicted to self-gratification, refuse to let go of craftsmanship that most viewers can't see or don't give a tinker's damn about, and brainwashed about IQ … were I just starting out just for the creative joy of it all … the smart devices would appeal on so many levels that it'd be difficult to resist.

- Marc

Ben Rubinstein

I'm hoping the enthusiast market moves over to video myself. Will give some hope for being able to be noticed again in the photography world.

jonoslack

How many times have we said to ourselves, "I can't really judge the quality of that image on the web". Yet, that is where 99% of images are now viewed … and probably an overwhelming majority of that on another smart phone, tablet, or iPad, rather than a 27" color calibrated monitor.

Creatively, people can get better at selecting the right light, get better at composition, and get more insightful with their content, but they do not need a 36 meg camera to do any of that.
HI Marc
Completely agree with you - and whilst the quality improves, the reason for using big complex camera becomes less and less compelling.

Unlike others I think the standard of general photography has improved immeasurably by the digital revolution, and whilst it may be more difficult to separate the mediocre from the magical (just because there is so much more to look at) I'm not even sure that's a problem.

I'm really optimistic about the way it's all going, and fully expect to see more fantastic photos than I have in the past.

Around here we're very prone to muddling up IQ (image quality) with IC (image content), I know what I think is most important, and wandering through Leitz park looking at fantastic (mostly fuzzy) photographs from the last 100 years simply reinforced that feeling.