The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

iiiNelson

Ah, thanks.
Some pretty expensive "features", in the long term.
Maybe but if one were to stick with FE then it's just investing in the native system.

It's not like all mirrorless users are adamant about adapting lenses. I did with Micro 4/3 and E-mount while lenses were being developed but once they were I bought the native lenses that performed well for my uses. It seems people ask for more lenses, the company produces some, and then people just aren't happy for this reason or another. I'm actually pretty excited because it seems Sony is taking a Panasonic like Micro 4/3 approach of supporting the FE cameras with quality first and budget lenses second.

jlm

Workshop Member
seems like all the zeiss, C/V and leica M M-mount lenses are ideal candidates for a native E mount; the optics are already developed. so what is new with the Lorax stuff?

Annna T

seems like all the zeiss, C/V and leica M M-mount lenses are ideal candidates for a native E mount; the optics are already developed. so what is new with the Lorax stuff?
Most legacy RF lenses wider than 35mm exhibit problems on the A7 series, save for a few ones.

Zeiss will have winers if they are able to design lenses as compact and light as the legacy Zeiss Contax G lenses, but with clear corners (without smearing and magenta corners) and given what is available in legacy glass, they should start with wides (28mm, 24mm and 21mm). I hope that they go for light and compact, ultra sharp, but for me, an opening at F2.8 is enough..

dwood

Looks like what we expected to happen may happen and the first 2 lenses may be a 35/2 and 50/2. I don't mind that provided all 5 new lenses are released simultaneously. If not I agree with Ben that they should fill the gaps first (UWA and Telephoto.)

(SR5) First Zeiss Loxia will be a 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm f/2.0 lens. | sonyalpharumors
Just saw the SAR post too. While I can understand why Zeiss might release a 35 and 50 first from a market standpoint, I'd just kill for a 21/2.

iiiNelson

Just saw the SAR post too. While I can understand why Zeiss might release a 35 and 50 first from a market standpoint, I'd just kill for a 21/2.
Yeah I agree on the dream of a Zeiss 21/2 and 135/2 for that matter for FE mount. I don't understand why the 35 isn't a f/1.4 as I would buy it if it were more than likely and get rid of my 35/2.8 FE.

Annna T

Yeah I agree on the dream of a Zeiss 21/2 and 135/2 for that matter for FE mount. I don't understand why the 35 isn't a f/1.4 as I would buy it if it were more than likely and get rid of my 35/2.8 FE.
Why do you want so fast lenses ? Given the format and the excellent sensor, I would prefer smaller and lighter lenses. So F2.8 is really sufficient on the A7 series. Smaller lighter lenses make more sense on these small portable bodies. They would be perfect for travel and PJ type of photography.

Michiel Schierbeek

Yes, we want small wide angles with no issues! It is a pitty they start to run hot on the 35 and 50 of which we have so many choices already. But anyway it is a good start, I hope.

iiiNelson

Why do you want so fast lenses ? Given the format and the excellent sensor, I would prefer smaller and lighter lenses. So F2.8 is really sufficient on the A7 series. Smaller lighter lenses make more sense on these small portable bodies. They would be perfect for travel and PJ type of photography.
To quote Ricky Bobby - "I JUST WANNA GO FAST!!!"

I rather have the speed and not need it and I try to shoot at the lowest ISO as possible. High ISO is fine for me when there's no other choice but to bump it up but I often shoot in dim to low light conditions so fast lenses (f/2 or faster) are a huge benefit for me. I'm a larger sized guy, I have large hands, I often shoot with a grip on at least one of my bodies as well so I don't mind a little weight most of the times. I may still replace my 35/2.8 with the 35/2 though (if the rumor is true.) Focus by wire is horrible but the 55 is good enough that I deal with it.

That's not to say that I don't mind a slower lens (f/4 or whatever) in a zoom but I like my primes fast. Just personal preference and an area where I think the A7/A7r/A7s can continue to be a true Leica M replacement in performance for me. I think there's room for both but given the choice I generally prefer to have the faster primes first because you can always stop down but faster apertures require another lens.

ZoranC

I am definitely welcoming 35/2 and will definitely replace my 35/2.8 with it as long as desired image quality is there. I do want one extra stop (for both speed and DOF reasons), I am not happy with optical performance of 35/2.8 and I do want real great quality manual focus.

50/2 makes less sense to me unless there is something special about it. It is too early to dismiss it, we need to see it first.

Annna T

To quote Ricky Bobby - "I JUST WANNA GO FAST!!!"

I rather have the speed and not need it and I try to shoot at the lowest ISO as possible. High ISO is fine for me when there's no other choice but to bump it up but I often shoot in dim to low light conditions so fast lenses (f/2 or faster) are a huge benefit for me. I'm a larger sized guy, I have large hands, I often shoot with a grip on at least one of my bodies as well so I don't mind a little weight most of the times. I may still replace my 35/2.8 with the 35/2 though (if the rumor is true.) Focus by wire is horrible but the 55 is good enough that I deal with it.

That's not to say that I don't mind a slower lens (f/4 or whatever) in a zoom but I like my primes fast. Just personal preference and an area where I think the A7/A7r/A7s can continue to be a true Leica M replacement in performance for me. I think there's room for both but given the choice I generally prefer to have the faster primes first because you can always stop down but faster apertures require another lens.
I understand your reasons for needing fast primes, but then, if weight/size aren't a concern for you, why not staying with a larger body and system as well ? The bigger lenses would be better balanced. The logic of the A7 series is to go small, so sacrificing one stop in exchange of it makes more sense IMO, providing there is no compromises in matters of IQ.

philip_pj

A strange move in marketing terms - one that Sony may rue, depending on how the release schedule rolls out. The 35/2 cannot replace what the RX1 can do, and the 50/2 is as near to superfluous as it's possible to get, there being a small and faster lens universally acknowledged as very good indeed.

In two years time it will work well for them of course. I was hoping that being a partner to Sony, Zeiss would stage releases to complement the FE lenses.

Back when the ZE lenses appeared in 2006-07 (yes, that long ago!) they kicked off with the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4, both older CY designs with modern coatings etc. Then came the 35/2, the ill-fated 25/2.8 and the two fine makros of 50mm and 100mm. So the early ones were around the middle of the focal length range.

I believe these will need to be better in the corners than the ZM copies people are talking about, hence newer designs are likely. Neither of these ZMs are very good at image height of 20mm and 'the punisher' a7r would work them over harder than a 20 year old Mike Tyson in round one.

ZoranC

I understand your reasons for needing fast primes, but then, if weight/size aren't a concern for you, why not staying with a larger body and system as well ? The bigger lenses would be better balanced. The logic of the A7 series is to go small, so sacrificing one stop in exchange of it makes more sense IMO, providing there is no compromises in matters of IQ.
You asked him why _he_ wants fast lens. He answered you why _he_ wants fast lens. It seems to me you want to push on him _your_ opinion, that he should want what you want.

P.S. It doesn't make sense to me to move one step forward in sensor ISO performance just to give that one step back by going with one step slower lens. It's as if one is not interested to get forward. But hey, that's just me, and if that works for others that's good for them, they can keep 35/2.8, I will get 35/2, thank God it's a free world with freedom of choice.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Personally I just like fast glass. Viewing for one, bokeh is nicer and most times a lens performs better 2 stops down from the widest aperture a f4 becomes a good F 8 but a good 1.4 becomes a good 2.8. That plus if your trying to get maximum IQ not matter what lower ISO will provide that. But if want smaller lighter lenses than the slower lenses are it. Here is the issue we need the choices to start with. I'm cocktail induced. Lol

Just got to the beach and had a few libations. Man I needed that. Lol

philip_pj

Adding that...Zeiss have committed to five lenses in FE, and with these two at near normal FLs, that severely restricts what else they are intending to do. I seriously hope they include two wide angles lenses in the three slots that remain!

ZoranC

... most times a lens performs better 2 stops down from the widest aperture a f4 becomes a good F 8 but a good 1.4 becomes a good 2.8.
... which is a big benefit of faster glass many are forgetting about.

if your trying to get maximum IQ not matter what lower ISO will provide that.
... and if you do need high ISO badly then faster glass will give you more room to work with.

Here is the issue we need the choices to start with.
... and that for me is most exciting part of this news, that ball is starting to roll, cause more choices = more competition = more progress.

I'm cocktail induced. Just got to the beach and had a few libations. Man I needed that. :chug:
:thumbup:

ZoranC

Adding that...Zeiss have committed to five lenses in FE, and with these two at near normal FLs, that severely restricts what else they are intending to do. I seriously hope they include two wide angles lenses in the three slots that remain!
I think guess is easy: 25, 28 and 85.

iiiNelson

Adding a couple of ounces to a lens is a lot lighter than adding a couple of pounds to a camera body then adding heavier SLR lenses to that equation. That being said I do use some SLR primes with the grip. The A7 sensors are still at or near the top of the heap for 35mm sensors I just want to add the option of having some of the best fast lenses available. If small and slow were all that mattered then there are plenty of options in other systems but as others say - choice is good and I think there's room for both. I don't see the benefit of releasing lenses 1/3 a stop slower or one stop faster than what's available when there are holes to fill. I'd understand it a bit more if they were giving up the speed options.

Some are angry these lenses don't offer AF. Fast manual focus mirrorless lenses don't have to be large though. The 55FE is a respectable size and pretty close in size to a 50 Lux. My CV 35/1.2 is a large RF lens but isn't ungainly on an A7 body.