The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

ZoranC

I don't know about you guys but I am not impressed at all with what I am seeing in the samples. I will pass for now.

iiiNelson

I don't know about you guys but I am not impressed at all with what I am seeing in the samples. I will pass for now.
It's kind of hard to make a final impression of the lens without a full size sample. Those are dow-res'd to 2.3 megapixels or so.

jagsiva

Not sure if these are real. The seagull supposedly taken with the 50 has the strangest DoF and the bokeh ahead of the subject plane looks like it was done in PP.

philip_pj

Very impressive in specs and samples. At last we will see what can be done in lens design by accounting for the exact sensor toppings. Prices many will find acceptable if the performance is there and in respect of the niceties included, closer MFD and durability (resale) of MF lenses.

F2 is emerging as the fast aperture for FE prime lenses, a great choice - and both Sony and CZ will ensure you get top results right from wide open. Three more lenses to come in Loxia...let's hope Zeiss announce their general configuration by P'kina.

ZoranC

It's kind of hard to make a final impression of the lens without a full size sample. Those are dow-res'd to 2.3 megapixels or so.
You are correct _but_ that is exactly what my feeling is based on. Few shots do seem to be non-downsized (for example, one named Berlin, first one in 35/2 set). Resolution is listed as 6000x4000 which implies it has been taken with A7. There is nothing sharp about that picture.

There is nothing sharp even about downsized samples even though we know more you downsize more perceived sharpness goes up and some of the worst lenses I have tried on A7R looked very good when downsized to 12 MP which is still twice larger than sizes of majority of samples Zeiss gave.

So if there is nothing sharp about them can you imagine what they would look like taken with A7R and pixel peeped?

Either that or Zeiss has done one of the most incompetent jobs showing off their new wares. However I doubt guys at Zeiss can be called anything even close to incompetent so I doubt it's that even though their decision to not offer A7R resolutions, further downsize majority of samples, and not offer EXIF makes me scratch my head.

ZoranC

Not sure if these are real. The seagull supposedly taken with the 50 has the strangest DoF and the bokeh ahead of the subject plane looks like it was done in PP.
There is no reason to believe these are not real. It's Zeiss account, samples are labeled as coming from lens, and they are same samples used in Zeiss official brochure for that lens.

ZoranC

Very impressive in specs and samples.
phillip_pj, could you please pick any of the samples posted by Zeiss and elaborate what exactly is impressive about it? Could you please point one sharp sample to me? I am not able to find a single one.

mbn

However I doubt guys at Zeiss can be called anything even close to incompetent so I doubt it's that even though their decision to not offer A7R resolutions, further downsize majority of samples, and not offer EXIF makes me scratch my head.
that's how they did it in the past, and that's how they still do it.
btw, canon or nikon aren't any better with their teaser pics.
if the pics would look any good, people would credit it to the magic pp they did with their own top secret software. or just call it a fake.

it's still the same old waiting game, nothing changed, and time will tell...

philip_pj

Zoran, I form a view based on the overall impression of lenses' signatures - not being overly concerned with file prep affecting on-screen sharpness, saturation etc.

You will also find that many such establishment sites do not rely on top flight image preparation - because they and in this case, Zeiss, know that users are most interested in the photographic imprint - focus fade, subject depiction, OOF handling, focus selection (close here to illustrate MFD, for example). Some sites post truly awful images as seen at Luminous Landscape, despite often good information. The Loxia images recall the signatures of recent ZE/ZF lenses, to my eyes.

Being a CZ user for many years I know they value photographic content of these kinds over matters like the portrayal of sharpness, etc. We might wish it otherwise of course. ;-)

Now to add some information gained from a Zeiss representative:

“We’ll add to the family in the future with wide-angles and short telephotos. The challenge with these mirrorless cameras is designing an ultra wide angle lens that does not exhibit vignetting, lens shading and the ‘smearing’ effect common when using adapted wide-angle M mount lenses.”

This comes from a tidy website and is written by 'John vR', more here:
Updated: Zeiss Introduces Loxia Lenses for Sony Full Frame

I provide it because I feel that Zeiss are to some extent waiting and seeing how the uptake of the a7 series goes in general and of course how the reception goes for the Loxias. So - note the plurals used in 'wide angles' and 'telephotos', could be a slip of the tongue of course, but still perhaps not.

They have never been backward in coming forward about the need to match lenses to sensor toppings, and would be keen to put distance between adapted M class lenses and the 'factory' Loxia line, finely tailored for the job.

I like the separate identification of 'vignetting' and 'shading', not many users realise how poorly M lenses perform with respect to optical vignetting before s/w fixes are applied.

miska

I'm really surprised by the choice of focal length. I thought the Sony-Zeiss 35mm and 55mm were pretty good.
I wonder why Zeiss didn't introduce a wide angle or macro for example. I would have thought that they have also those in their ZM arsenal.

ThomasZ

I just looked at the 6000x4000 sample for the 35/2 and was shocked. How on earth can they upload such an unsharp image as a sample for a high quality 1200$ lens??? The Sony 35/2.8 will beat that thing easily, along with a lot of legacy lenses.

I can only hope that the photographer made same serious mistakes. Or maybe it is because it was shot with a not final "prototype" lens.

If this is the quality we can expect, I am deeply disappointed. Another missed chance for the Sony FE System.

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlzeisslenses/14610511025/in/set-72157645178252329/

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me these 2 lenses look perfect. I do not care about samples on the Internet, as I trust that Zeiss produces some of the sharpest glass available. Especially as these lenses are based on the M.mount lens design optically.

For me these lenses look mainly as the deal breakers, as I would prefer "fast primes" with high IQ and manual focus only is actually a relief. Supplement these by some nice FE zooms and this makes a perfect system.

I only hope that Sony brings a A8 with 24MP and similar shutter, AF etc. as the A7s. Then I am in this game!

Peter

Annna T

I'm really surprised by the choice of focal length. I thought the Sony-Zeiss 35mm and 55mm were pretty good.
I wonder why Zeiss didn't introduce a wide angle or macro for example. I would have thought that they have also those in their ZM arsenal.
Pay a visit to the websites linked above in the thread :
Second a Zeiss official they are targeting two special users of the FE system :
1) they are targeting videographers (the changing of aperture smoothly without clickable steps and the manual focusing) and they believe that 50mm and 35mm are the two favored focals among videographers.
2) they are looking for street and travel photographers who are using mainly M lenses and want to offer them what they are accustomed to (MF and zone focusing) with the advantage of modern mirror less camera electronic VF etc. Hence the aperture ring with distance scales. They believe that for street photography and PJ work, the 35mm is the preferred focal length.

ThomasZ

... I trust that Zeiss produces some of the sharpest glass available ...
The last time I trusted a camera/lens maker, I ended with the Zeiss-labeled Sony 24-70 F4, the mother of distortion. From that point on, I decided to never buy a lens without checking some extensive tests and reviews prior to buying.

But of course you could be right, Zeiss is not Sony. They have a brand image based entirely of delivering high end lenses. So we can expect that these new FE lenses deliver what we want to see.

I have posted some feedback at the Zeiss Facebook page and asked them for 36mp images made by someone who knows what he's doing.

G43

Last update what to expect on Photokina

@ Rumors:

A-mount:
35 1.4(G/ZA)
70-300G II.

E-mount:
16-35mm f/4.0 Zeiss
28-135G Powerzoom
35mm f/2.0 Loxia (already officially announced)
50mm f/2.0 Loxia (already officially announced)
85mm fast prime FE Zeiss (unclear if shown on roadmap or for real)

iiiNelson

Any of you @7 users already owning the 35 and 55 going for these lenses? Reasons?
I'm considering the 35 simply because I don't love the 35/2.8 that I currently own. It's a good lens but not anywhere remotely close to what a 35 Summicron ASPH is on my formerly owned M9... Or what my Voigtlander 35/1.2 is for that matter.

The 55 is excellent. I'd have to think long and hard about the 50 Loxia but I do prefer manual focus so there may be room for both.