The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best creative style for low noise?

Rawfa

I've notice that even while shooting raw on the A7 the creative styles are carried over...and I did notice that some creative styles are noisier than others. Does anyone have any tips on the least noisy creative style? The one that seems to squeeze in the most dynamic range is Portrait with everything tuned down to -3, but it seems to ad a lot of noise on the shadow areas (I'm not sure if the D-Range Opt, may also introduce more noise). Anyway, I'd like to here everyone's thoughts.

iiiNelson

I normally set my camera to standard style with everything else off. I don't know for sure if the creative styles apply to RAW or just JPEG but I usually shoot RAW only.

ZoranC

DRO does introduce noise, that is how "DRO" in any camera works.

Could you please clarify what exactly you mean with "even while shooting raw the creative styles are carried over"?

Rawfa

What I mean is that I always thought that when you shoot RAW you get an absolutely neutral file, but after shooting RAW with different creative style I can see that the creative styles were applied to the RAW file when I open it on camera raw....I'm not sure if I've made my self clear...

ZoranC

What I mean is that I always thought that when you shoot RAW you get an absolutely neutral file, but after shooting RAW with different creative style I can see that the creative styles were applied to the RAW file when I open it on camera raw....I'm not sure if I've made my self clear...
Usually you do get neutral file but at the same time you do get metadata saved and some of RAW converters when they see such metadata try to apply style they think you want. For example LightRoom reproduces in camera style of Fuji when it sees it's metadata. That doesn't mean you can't change style.

Rawfa

My bad. You're right. I've just shot 2 different creative styles and when I clicked on reset to default on camera raw they both looked the same.