The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 16-35/f4

Don Libby

Just checked the order status on B&H after receiving an email from them that the lens is in stock. The order is in the warehouse getting ready for shipment; I should have it by Friday.

Don

dandrewk

Just checked the order status on B&H after receiving an email from them that the lens is in stock. The order is in the warehouse getting ready for shipment; I should have it by Friday.

Don
Mine too. I paid extra for shipping, so I'm hoping Wednesday.

UHDR

call me awkward...but i decided to wait. not because this lens is not good, in fact it's very good. but canon is rumored to launch a 11-24mm F4 L. i use A6000 and A7r, so it makes sense on both.... i..e i carry one less lens.... :D

Don Libby

Anytime I'm waiting for delivery of a lens I begin to feel like I'm 10-years old and waiting for Christmas and begin to count down the days....

Testing finished. I fear that it's better put the disclaimer "valid only for my copy".

At 16 mm very good general resolution, soft corners. Best aperture F8
at 20 mm corners get better, but still a little soft.
From 24 to 35 extremely good from center to corners (to give an example,
at 28 at 4-5,6 it is better than elmarit r 28 II which is considered a benchmark
for 28 mm focal.

This one, (full size jpg on flickr) is 28 mm at 5,6.

_DSC3842 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Don Libby

It's about this time I say to myself 'I should have paid for the faster shipping'.
I do that every time! I did spring for 2-day delivery; the email just came in with the tracking and it'll be here Thursday. Sometimes 2-day can be overnight if all the connections are made. We'll see. Of course we're having crappy weather right now in Tucson with zero clouds, at least I'll have it next month for Moab and So Rim.

don

nikonf

Sounds like a keeper!

My friend loves his Canon 16-35mm f4 IS L.

Now, the age old question: Which will perform better on the A7R?

I would also have to pay about $400 for an adapter, which makes the Canon slightly more expensive - even with the current $100 rebate.

Decisions, decisions ..........

Good luck and have fun,
Mike
Testing finished. I fear that it's better put the disclaimer "valid only for my copy".

at 28 at 4-5,6 it is better than elmarit r 28 II which is considered a benchmark
for 28 mm focal.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

for 28 mm focal.

If the 24mm setting is better than the 24 -70 than that does interest me and a good 35. Even at 20 can be handy if I'm just traveling with it alone. I'm going to rent it for a trip in couple weeks

dandrewk

It's about this time I say to myself 'I should have paid for the faster shipping'.
You're speaking to the choir here! ;). However, I have a tendency to always ship overnight for expensive, delicate equipment like camera and computer gear. I've done this since a UPS driver that I knew well told me it lessens the chances of damage en route. I'm guessing this is due to fewer intermediary stops and less handling.

... at least, this is the excuse I use to spend the extra money. :D. Even so, I'll only do it if the shipping premium is reasonable. e.g. the overnight premium from B&H for this lens was $34.62. That's a tiny percentage of the total price, and is still a fraction of the sales tax I am saving from buying out of state. I look at it as insurance.

So, the lens will be here tomorrow, good news for me. The bad news is it is coming via UPS next day air, with arrival before 10:30 AM, signature required. That's early for me! :mad: Plus, rain is expected for tomorrow and the next two days, so not much getting out with the new lens.

Wow, as "first world problems" go, it doesn't get any more "first world" than that. :D

onaujee

I just bought the lens and chose free shipping for Friday.. I should have read the post above first... :)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well we are all waiting for your test results folks. ITs YOUR turn to tell me. LOL

Seriously if I had the cash it be in my hands.

I have the Canon TSE 17 and 24. 50 ZA 1.4 and 85 1.4 ZA for the A7r my need is the Minolta 200mm 2.8 High Speed and this dang 16-35 and I am in business.

Than the A77II i have the Sigma 18-35 1.8 and use the 50 and 85 but again that Minolta 200mm would be handy as heck here too.