The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 16-35/f4

turtle

Looks like they have not hit it out of the park, but they have provided a really decent lens that has a firm place in the line up. Its likely I will end up buying one.

I was pondering future investment in the Canon EF mount (i.e. the new 16-35 f4 IS), but the lack of innovation and sensor tech with respect to bodies means I am no longer considering getting into Nikon, but instead slowly phasing out my DSLR kit with time, in favour of FE mount. The wonderful thing is being able to hang onto some special L lenses for use on the FE cameras, even if I don't have any Canon cameras in a few years. I suspect I will be gone from Leica M mount as well, within a similar time frame. With Loxia manual focus lenses, I'd now like them to produce a camera with a monochrome sensor!

Sony is very close to allowing me to do everything I want on one mount, rather than three. I will stay in M43 (with the brilliant GM1) for certain uses).

iiiNelson

Not any more. I've started a new workflow where I shoot custom WB similar to an LCC at the beginning of each shot. I open the files in C1 (this also works well in Adobe Bridge) and using the LCC/WB do a custom WB then copy that on all the image files. There's times when I mix up the filters shooting between FS, color, and either 590, 720, and 830 and just shoot a WB in between the files; works as a bookend as well as. I've found this to be much easier than shooting a custom white balance in camera then having to go through the hassle of scrubbing the files in Sony Data Converter before opening in either C1 or PS. The only down side to doing this is I loose the filter color in the screen as I capture the image (always has a reddish hue) but find that a minor inconvenience.

Don
Cool that's good to know as I'm planning to do the FS conversion on my A7r once I upgrade to the new generation FE bodies.

johnnygoesdigital

Looks like they have not hit it out of the park, but they have provided a really decent lens that has a firm place in the line up. Its likely I will end up buying one.

I was pondering future investment in the Canon EF mount (i.e. the new 16-35 f4 IS), but the lack of innovation and sensor tech with respect to bodies means I am no longer considering getting into Nikon, but instead slowly phasing out my DSLR kit with time, in favour of FE mount. The wonderful thing is being able to hang onto some special L lenses for use on the FE cameras, even if I don't have any Canon cameras in a few years. I suspect I will be gone from Leica M mount as well, within a similar time frame. With Loxia manual focus lenses, I'd now like them to produce a camera with a monochrome sensor!

Sony is very close to allowing me to do everything I want on one mount, rather than three. I will stay in M43 (with the brilliant GM1) for certain uses).
On the contrary, The 16-35 FE/and A7 is an amazing combo, with lightning quick AF and excellent resolution for an extreme amount of functionality. It's dust and weather resistant combo that can be carried virtually anywhere. I'm not sure what photographer's expect today given the amount of tech and innovation. The new A7MII will have 5 axis stabilization for stills and broadcast quality video, the first in a full frame camera. As far as the D800/e,D810/D610, that sensor is the highest rated sensor on DXO, even beating out MFD, and the Nikon 85mm1.4 G is only behind the Otus. Stop the madness, what's not to love? I've owned them all and the one camera I miss the most is the Sony A900 with either a 85mm 1.4 or 135mm f1.8.

jpaulmoore

Can the 16-35 be manually focused? I have the 55mm lens (which I love) but manual focus is really a poor option.
J. Paul

turtle

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I am saying it seems to be a very good lens indeed, but not one that is a game changer i.e. It may not quite reach the performance of the Canon 16-35 f4 IS, for example, while costing quite a bit more. The 55 FE was a game changer, however.

As we know, the A7 and A7R place very different demands on the lenses in the line up. I would have considered it 'knocked out of the park' if the lens were able to resolve up to the A7R's potential at the edges and corners at most settings, a few stops down. It seems that its a brilliant match for the A7 and a very good lens indeed on the A7R, but if you were to compare A7 and A7R frames, there may well not be any real advantage to the higher resolution sensor around the periphery of the frame.

With Sony soon to roll out a 50MP sensor, there is good reason to ask if the off centre performance will hold up.

Like I say, I will almost certainly buy it with great enthusiasm, but if you've shot a good copy of the 35mm FE and 55mm FE on the A7R, its evident just what that sensor can do when matched with a truly brilliant lens. Sure, we are comparing primes to zooms, but I wonder if Sony/Zeiss will start building to a higher price point on some zoom lenses in the knowledge that its the only way to produce the across the frame performance these sensors can record. With IBIS coming to the next round of cameras, there will be no need for it in lenses, in future. This will reduce costs and optical hurdles, so we can expect improvements in the future.

I am thrilled by the A7 and A7R (Aerial Documentary Project Work with the A7R!) and in no way complaining about what Sony is doing. Quite the opposite in fact!

On the contrary, The 16-35 FE/and A7 is an amazing combo, with lightning quick AF and excellent resolution for an extreme amount of functionality. It's dust and weather resistant combo that can be carried virtually anywhere. I'm not sure what photographer's expect today given the amount of tech and innovation. The new A7MII will have 5 axis stabilization for stills and broadcast quality video, the first in a full frame camera. As far as the D800/e,D810/D610, that sensor is the highest rated sensor on DXO, even beating out MFD, and the Nikon 85mm1.4 G is only behind the Otus. Stop the madness, what's not to love? I've owned them all and the one camera I miss the most is the Sony A900 with either a 85mm 1.4 or 135mm f1.8.

johnnygoesdigital

J. Paul,

You can use DMF with AF quite nicely, but you can also use just manual focus. Set the peaking level high and toggle the AF/MF button to manual. You'll know it's manual because the rectangle disappears in the viewfinder, now just twist the focus ring and it zooms in with peaking.

turtle...

I think any native lens release is a game changer:) I agree the 55mm1.8 is one of the best.

turtle

hahah, well yes. Hats off to Sony though. They're not stupid and, as I have said before, they are going to keep reinforcing success. This means LOTS more out of the mirrorless FE mount. This may upset A mount users, because it seems to be they will do a minimum to keep those users happy, but will be putting everything into FE.

May order the 16-35 FE before my Jan trip to Iceland....

johnnygoesdigital

I think the 16-35FE will suit you well in Iceland...enjoy!

I really like the A mount lenses and the LA-EA3/4, really makes it almost seamless. The 24mm distagon F/2.0 i have is almost the exact size as the 16-35FE, but the SSM AF is slower and batteries need charging more often The resolution difference to me was very minimal, so i'm sticking with the FE, but will use the A mounts for portraits such as the 85mm1.4/ or 135f1.8. Show us your pics from Iceland when convenient - we'd love to see them.

The weather has been bleak, but so far I'm liking this lens. (still anxious to see how it does with actual sunshine and blue skies though.)

Sony 16-35mm ƒ4 at 29mm @ƒ4.5 on a7S

Annna T

I think the 16-35FE will suit you well in Iceland...enjoy!

I really like the A mount lenses and the LA-EA3/4, really makes it almost seamless. The 24mm distagon F/2.0 i have is almost the exact size as the 16-35FE, but the SSM AF is slower and batteries need charging more often The resolution difference to me was very minimal, so i'm sticking with the FE, but will use the A mounts for portraits such as the 85mm1.4/ or 135f1.8. Show us your pics from Iceland when convenient - we'd love to see them.
I'm not sure whether the A7 séries are a good idea for iceland : right now, I have been taking night pictures from my windows and the batteries are exhausted incredibly fast. Part of it is due to my use if the Metabones smart adapter with Canon lenses. But a very large part is also due to the cold. And it isn't even very cold here (4/5 degrees Celsius to 10 degrees Celsius). Either take a lot of batteries or pick another camera with a bigger battery.

johnnygoesdigital

I'm not sure whether the A7 séries are a good idea for iceland : right now, I have been taking night pictures from my windows and the batteries are exhausted incredibly fast. Part of it is due to my use if the Metabones smart adapter with Canon lenses. But a very large part is also due to the cold. And it isn't even very cold here (4/5 degrees Celsius to 10 degrees Celsius). Either take a lot of batteries or pick another camera with a bigger battery.
I've never had any battery issues with the A7. Make sure you're in airplane mode as that will significantly increase battery life. 80% of my shooting is outdoors in much, much colder temps - I get hundreds of shots per battery. Perhaps the battery grip or extra batteries would help if you're using a "smart" adapter because I also saw an increase when using an SSM lens.

pegelli

And keep your (spare) batteries in a warm place near your body in a pocket and not in your (cold) photo bag. Even if they get cold/exhausted in the camera that will get them back working again for many more shots even without charging them.

turtle

You know the little pouch in tightywhities? That's for A7 batteries when working in cold climates :D

I'll take plenty of spares and have a car charger, so no worries. I shoot very few frames generally anyway, so not worried.

neelin

I've never had any battery issues with the A7. Make sure you're in airplane mode as that will significantly increase battery life. 80% of my shooting is outdoors in much, much colder temps - I get hundreds of shots per battery. Perhaps the battery grip or extra batteries would help if you're using a "smart" adapter because I also saw an increase when using an SSM lens.
+1 A7R

I don't need a lot of shots to "get" the shot. Kinda like my golf, 18 shots and it's all over.....then I go to the 2nd hole ;0

Robert

UHDR

if you want to learn how to use battery wisely. take a sigma DP1/2/3m with you on a trip. by the time you come back, you will make A7r last two months in one charge. :D:D:D:D

Viramati

Tried it out today in store on my A7s and results look impressive, Should really have taken along the A7 but never mind. Have been considering selling the FE24-70 which I find a somewhat frustrating lens as sometimes it seems to perform well and sometimes not to degree that it almost seems random and I feel I just can't trust it.

iiiNelson

Tried it out today in store on my A7s and results look impressive, Should really have taken along the A7 but never mind. Have been considering selling the FE24-70 which I find a somewhat frustrating lens as sometimes it seems to perform well and sometimes not to degree that it almost seems random and I feel I just can't trust it.
I sold my 24-70 for the exact same reason. It seemed to be bland and inconsistent for me despite some initial glowing reviews by others. I found it adequate at times and not so much at the others. I decided after much internal debate I much rather shoot a prime in the mid range and leave zooms to the UWA and telephoto focal lengths. Truth be told I would only use a mid range zoom if it covered enough focal length to be a great all purpose "walk around lens" for vacation like a 24-105mm or 24-120mm lens.

I'm waiting to try out a 16-35 and see if it'll fit the bill. I'm most interested in how it performs specifically in the 16-25mm range as I have native solutions in the 35-55 range.