The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pre-flash?

Rawfa

Hey guys,

I´ve shot a couple times with my A7´s and an F20M and this flash always pre-flashes a couple of seconds before firing, which makes is useless for events on small places. I was wondering if it´s just the F20M or if the F43M, the Nissin I40 and other flashes do this too. I need to buy 2 flashes and I cannot find them here in Brazil, so it would really suck if ordered 2 units and they both had the same problem as the F20M.

P.S – The F20M would fire straight away on the A99

Rawfa

Might be because you have red eye reduction on?

Man, so easy!! I´ve googled this and many people were saying it was the only way the camera was able to calculate the necessary flash intensity. Just turned off red eye redution on both A7´s and it works! Thanks!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL This one was for my daughter as she is about 7 weeks away from giving me my first grandchild. Interesting setup though the F20M on my A7r but with a twist a Sigma 18-35 1.8 APS lens but shot FF at full zoom of 35mm which i can do with this lens is shoot it full resolution at 30mm and higher. Pretty handy dandy little feature when needed. I was traveling light on vacation with the Sigma and a Canon 17mm TSE. But anyway this little flash did a great job of filling in. shot at 1/160 at 5.6

Rawfa

That is lovely, Guy. Congrats on the photo and more so on the grand kid :)

So, you´re able to use the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 in FF mode from 30mm to 35mm? This is such an amazing lens. I really wish Sigma would come up with a FF 24-50mm f2.0.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Rawfa, yes this lens you can go from 30 to 35mm full res on the A7r which is pretty dang good too.