The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Last three FE lens for the year

Slingers

According to the roadmap Sony is about to announce the last three FE lens for the year. We know one is a macro, another a large aperture prime, and an unknown lens. I suspect we will see a similar lens announcement to what was released with the cameras a year ago. With a f/1.8 and a f/2.8 primes plus a zoom to be announced.

When the mystery 16-35/4 was first appearing in rumors at the start of the year, included in the rumor was a 90mm lens. I guess this 90mm is the macro on the roadmap. Hopefully we get to see the mtf charts, samples, or any info about the this wide angle zoom soon.

I guess that the large aperture prime is the long rumored 85/1.8. It's been appearing in a few rumors lately.

Then finally it's the gray line that could be anything. It might be a wide angle prime but I suspect it's the 70-300 that has been rumored before.

I am waiting for either a 85 or a 90, with a macro being preferable, to come out but I will be purchasing depending on what has the best quality if there is this strange overlap. What lens are you waiting for or believe Sony will be releasing?

Slingers

Maybe the specs of the 16-35/4 will be coming soon as i have just seen this on the sony website

Rawfa

Sony has been on the mirrorless market for a long time. It's absolutely unacceptable that they are so far behind when it comes to lenses. Fuji entered the mirrorless game after Sony and they already have some really incredible lenses. If Fuji had good video I think I would have switched by now.

jfirneno

Sony has been on the mirrorless market for a long time. It's absolutely unacceptable that they are so far behind when it comes to lenses. Fuji entered the mirrorless game after Sony and they already have some really incredible lenses. If Fuji had good video I think I would have switched by now.
Rawfa, I also would like more lenses available (macro, wide angle primes, etc.) for the A7 series but to be fair to Sony, in the APS-C mirrorless lens side I think Sony has quite a few lenses and a few of them are really pretty good. On the full-frame side Sony started putting out cameras last September I think. That's only one year ago. How many lenses should they have by now in your opinion? How many lenses did Fuji have after exactly one year?

Regards,
John

Viramati

If I remember rightly in the first year fuji had the 18/2, 35/1.4 and 60/2.4 macro
Sony have had the 55, 35, 28-70, 24-70 and 70-200.
What I would really like from Sony is a firmware upgrade programme on a par with Fuji as I have to say that they have been excellent in this department

psy501

+ 1..
..a proper firmware update schedule is needed to make believe that sony is caring for its customers..not their strenght until now..

Rawfa

Sony has no fast basic primes or zooms. There's no 85mm in aps-c or ff. They insist in releasing a bunch of overpriced f4 zooms. I stand by my word, the day Fuji implements a good video mode and faster AF I'll switch. At the moment I get by using adapted alpha lenses on my A7's, which kind of defies the purpose of having a compact system.

Viramati

Sony has no fast basic primes or zooms. There's no 85mm in aps-c or ff. They insist in releasing a bunch of overpriced f4 zooms. I stand by my word, the day Fuji implements a good video mode and faster AF I'll switch. At the moment I get by using adapted alpha lenses on my A7's, which kind of defies the purpose of having a compact system.
I agree that some fast primes would be nice (I use the CV 35/1.2, 21/1.8) and I find f4 slow for the 24-70 BUT with the A7S the 35/2.8 can be used in near darkness and the 24-70 performs so much better than on the A7

Slingers

Looking at the roadmap SAR says is fake might give an indication of what is to come. It has only been slightly wrong so far with the wide end of the power zoom.

Would a 35/1.4 annoy people even more than the Zeiss duplication of the existing focal lengths?

fotografz

Meh, the whole line-up is uninspiring except maybe the original two FE lenses.

These tiny cameras should have tiny high-performance lenses ... would a pancake 28 and/or 40mm kill 'em?

My most used lens right now is the FE35/2.8 because it is part of the tiny gestalt that promotes snatching the kit off the table and taking it with. While it looks like a toy lens, it doesn't act like one.

I sold the big a$$ed FE24-70/4 ... too big for such horribly distorted images.

- Marc

Steve P.

BUT with the A7S the 35/2.8 can be used in near darkness and the 24-70 performs so much better than on the A7
This is an interesting point, and something I've been wondering about. It's becoming clearer that wider M lenses might well perform better on the A7s than the other two bodies and I'm curious to know if any experienced users see a performance difference in Sony's own FE lenses, particularly the primes, between the various 'A' bodies. ( Sensor resolution differences aside, of course.)
Apologies to the O.P. for the thread hijack, I won't make a big thing of it here, just curious really.:)

Slingers

This is an interesting point, and something I've been wondering about. It's becoming clearer that wider M lenses might well perform better on the A7s than the other two bodies and I'm curious to know if any experienced users see a performance difference in Sony's own FE lenses, particularly the primes, between the various 'A' bodies. ( Sensor resolution differences aside, of course.)
Apologies to the O.P. for the thread hijack, I won't make a big thing of it here, just curious really.:)
I've seen a few posts about the 24-70 and the kit lens performing better on the A7S but not the primes. It would be interesting to hear from people that own multiple A7 series cameras though.

Godfrey

It's interesting to see the roadmap. Looks like there will be some gems there.

Doesn't affect me, though. I have all my A7 lens needs met already with Leica R, Leica M-mount, and Nikkor lenses. Everything from 18mm to 600mm.

All manual focus and manual aperture, which is what I prefer on this camera. :)

G

philip_pj

The lesser lenses would go even better on the new a7z with 6Mp and ISO capable of 2,000,000. ;-)

They had to drop back to 12Mp to get much of an advantage in low light performance over the higher res cameras, when 16Mp would have been preferred by many.

A journey through the past buys you less in the way of troughs - but also less in the way of peaks. The secret role of the a7r is to stress test the lenses of the future.