The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wedding focus pocus?

Rawfa

Hi guys,

Yesterday I went to a friend's wedding and as usual I took some gear to practice while I'm not shooting weddings by my self or as a second photographer. I was using the A7 + LA-EA4 + 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 and there was a lot of missed focus even in situations where I was at arms length from the person I was shooting. My settings were:

- Focus mode = AF-S (should this have been continuous?)
- Focus Area = wide (should this have been Center?)
- Metering Mode = wide (should this have been Center?)

fotografz

With the LA-EA4 adapter and A mount lenses, I use the center AF point just like on other cameras … including the ZA50/1.4 and ZA85/1.4.

I have the AF assigned to the rear thumb button, like I do on all my other cameras.

I still cannot figure out how to quickly wheel the smaller center AF point around in the frame, although is isn't a very wide spread when using the adapter anyway.

Someone posted how to easily move the AF point, but I could never get it to work as described. So I have to go into the menu to move it, which only works when I know I'l be focusing on an off-center subject ahead of time.

- Marc

Rawfa

Thanks, Marc. It's great to have someone here who works with the same gear that I do :)

Transposure

Hey guys,
I am using an A7R as a carry-around camera and for architectural work with the Canon TSE's. I was concerned about the focus as well and originally questioned the quickest way to grab focus. Like Marc, I use the back-button focus technique on my Canons and Phase body and the Sony as well.
On the 1Dx, I have it set so my rear dial spins between a ring of focus points so I can select the closest to an eye in a spit second in any orientation. Unfortunately, the Sony lacks this functionality. So, the next best thing that I have found is to press the center button of the multi-function dial/button to the right of the screen. This immediately shows the center point selection. From there I simply press 3, 6, 9 or 12 position on the dial and move the focus point to where I want it. Not as fast as the Canon by a longshot, but better than focus-recompose (which I abhor).
The real key, when using back-button focus, is to make sure you actually press the shutter release immediately after the focus confirmation beep. If you wait, either you or the subject can move and all bets are off.
Hope this helps.

Ken
TRANSPOSURE

Last edited: