The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Now we're talking. Announced FE mounts

iiiNelson

Got to agree with you on this one. That Leica 90mm 'Cron ASPH is too sharp for portraits. Looks too "clinical" even wide open, and women especially hate it. I use an older than dirt 90 Elmarit instead.
The Elmarits are great too but whenI got my Summicron like new it was going for the same price as the latest Elmarit. I figured for portraits it was okay to focus slower plus I could always open it up. As for women not liking the aging that some lenses show - well I say that's just wisdom, experience, and possibly great stories to tell.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
The Elmarits are great too but whenI got my Summicron like new it was going for the same price as the latest Elmarit. I figured for portraits it was okay to focus slower plus I could always open it up. As for women not liking the aging that some lenses show - well I say that's just wisdom, experience, and possibly great stories to tell.
I'd think the pre-ASPH 'Cron would be a great lens too, and having the edge for speed does help at times. My old Elmarit is a 1957 vintage, so can be too soft for some things, so is perfect for female portraits. My wife is fine with the wisdom, experience, and great stories to tell reasoning. However, let me use too sharp of lens I can guarantee she will hate the photo. It is a visceral reaction, nothing to do with reason or logic...LOL! :loco:

iiiNelson

I'd think the pre-ASPH 'Cron would be a great lens too, and having the edge for speed does help at times. My old Elmarit is a 1957 vintage, so can be too soft for some things, so is perfect for female portraits. My wife is fine with the wisdom, experience, and great stories to tell reasoning. However, let me use too sharp of lens I can guarantee she will hate the photo. It is a visceral reaction, nothing to do with reason or logic...LOL! :loco:
Sadly some women are usually much more critical about their looks than the men who love them are. I know my girlfriend is and she looks nowhere near her actual age (not that she is old anything.)

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Sadly some women are usually much more critical about their looks than the men who love them are. I know my girlfriend is and she looks nowhere near her actual age (not that she is old anything.)
From both personal and professional experience, I would suggest you drop the word "some" for a more accurate sentence :ROTFL:

iiiNelson

From both personal and professional experience, I would suggest you drop the word "some" for a more accurate sentence :ROTFL:
Yup... I would guess you catch side eyes and cold looks from the opposite gender all day long for stirring that pot... I think I had it "right."

No one ever accused me of being a slow learner. :)

philip_pj

Men look at women, women see themselves being looked at, in mainstream societies anyway. They spend a huge amount of time looking at other women too, in print, movies, on the street.

It is good to see the portrayal of women is shifting these days - you see in movies much more interesting female leads, strong women with actual skin, not that rubbery plastic business so beloved of magazines and the PS smoothers. Homeland, Dexter, Gone Girl, Zero Dark Thirty, the Danish cop series The Killing come to mind. Like most of us I love character most of all, and the faces that show it. The tide is turning!

iiiNelson

That very true. I spend a lot of time allover the world. It's very cool to see magazines from different places and what they define as the image of "beauty" internationally. Many times it is quite different from the typical portrait of the "midwest girl next door" your typically see in America.