The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EF to E-mount FF adapter

Annna T

Guys... probably bought something completely wrong for my A7s?

I need to connect my Zeiss 21mm F2.8 with Canon EF mount to my S and got this creature:

Pro Canon EOS EF to Sony E-Mount Lens Adapter w/ Aperture Adjustment NEX Adaptor | eBay

Using the aperture ring just causes pin-hole effect.

What should I have ordered? :cry:
It seems that the adapter you got contains an iris to adjust the aperture mechanically inside of the adapter, rather than electronically by controlling the EOS lens aperture. Seems that it was for the Nex APSC, hence the vignetting.

I got a Metabones smart adapter : this one communicates with the lens, so you get : EXIF data in your pictures, true control of the aperture blades in the lens, AF; you switch from AF to MF on the lens, not through the camera menu.

Metabones®

I have the III version and it works rather well. The AF is slow however, so only usefull for slow photography, like landscape etc. the 4th version is supposed to have a better coating inside to avoid some flare. People having the 3d version made the coating by themselves. It is rather pricey however. And often out of stock.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1054790-REG/metabones_mb_ef_e_bm4_canon_ef_lens_to.html

But I'm not sure whether other adapters exist which would command the aperture blades of the lenses electronically, but without offering AF and thus costing less. Not to my knowledge.

mbroomfield

Yes, those adapters are rubbish, a Smart adapter is the way to go. As you say Annna there are other cheaper options than Metabones but they are all AF (and aperture). I have a Techart and some other brand that both work fine. In fact one of them even allows my EF 85/1.2 version 1 to AF, although it's so slow I don't use it!
A simple search on ebay will find them.

Edit .. also make sure you get one that lists compatibility with the Sony A7 family. Earlier adapters were made for APSC sensors and had to be enlarged. The Metabones is now on rev 4 with a slightly larger throat and better anti-reflection, although that was mainly for tilt/shift lenses.

Last edited:

G43

Thanks Annna & Mike

Seems I really bought rubbish.

I'll get a new one following your advises.

:)

DigitalSteve

I use the zeiss 21mm on my Sony A7r with the EOS to FE metabones ver 3. works great, but no exif data from the lens. Maybe due to the fact it is a ZF2 for Nikon with an adapter ring for eos. It is manual aperture and focus of coarse, but the viewfinder shows the exposure properly and aperture priority still sets the correct exposure. Probably shutter priority too (but I haven't tried.)

G43

Thanks everybody :)

Should have asked you before, but now I have ordered a Metabones IV, so I can enjoy the lovely 21mm lens it is.
It is BTW making the camera quite nose -heavy. On the other hand the lens is big enough to form a nice grip under it while exposing.

mbroomfield

I'm interested in the 28/2. Not with the 21mm adapter, I'll stick with my c/y distagon, but if the 28/2 is very good I will give up my 28 Elmarit