The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1-Sony support

Yeah I tried C1Pro7 this summer and I like the results but the lack of lens support for Sony, the unclear nature of whether edits are nondestructive, plus all the niggling bugs kinda left me a little sour about the user experience as a whole. I used C1Express4 in the past with my Leica's prior to getting LR2 then later switching to Aperture 3. I definitely wouldn't mind having C1ProSony on a Surface Pro 3 for a tethered field or studio solution once it works as well as any other tethered camera.

I still prefer LR or Aperture catalogs overall and the user experience myself as they just work without all the issues but I will say I can see an immediate improvement initially in C1... I can get the files to nearly indistinguishable in LR though I feel.
Its a RAW convertor - edits are non-destructive.

Lens support as described above.

Cataloging much improved in Capture One Pro 8.

Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if a version of C1 (Express?) started showing up in Sony camera shipments. But Phase would not have needed to release a Pro version for Sony cameras in order to do a bundle deal. I downloaded the C1P8 demo yesterday afternoon and a few hours later, bought the Sony Pro version for $30. Did I mention that it was $30? This is certainly an aggressive approach to get Sony users into the C1 camp. It's interesting.

Yes, Phase really needs to put the hammer down on lens profile development. LR is WAY ahead on that front, and agree that Adobe is pretty good about staying on top of updating things for new cameras/glass. Speaking of LR, I've been a user from day one but I started getting up to speed on C1 Pro about a month or so ago, and for me, C1P's RAW conversion is really making the a7r files sing. I'm currently using a workflow that utilizes the best of both of these excellent tools to get the images I'm after. Thus far, C1 has been stable for me.
Yes, information on Capture One Express (for Sony) will be shipped with supported Sony cameras.

Again, re lens profile development - see above!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David C18 Pro will do everything C1 8 Pro Sony version does. Including lens corrections and tethering . I need to upgrade my C1 8 Pro anyway and wanted to make sure it has all of the Sony stuff I need. I use other cams as well so I need full everything but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Next week I need to review a Credo 50

dwood

With regards to lens corrections we read the EXIF data supplied by Sony in the RAW file for the attached lens and correct from there. (distortion / light fall off)

You can additionally analyse for chromatic aberration which will improve it further and adjust purple fringing from 0-100%, and also place that on a local adjustment if you wish.
Hi David - so the basic lens correction is taking place automatically? Under the lens correction tool tab, does the setting want to be 'Generic' or 'Manufacturer Profile'? I'm guessing 'Manufacturer Profile', but would like to confirm that. And just to be clear here, you're saying that all current Sony FE lenses are now corrected in C1P8?

Thanks for jumping in and responding to all of our questions? It's nice to get info. from the source.

-Doug

Hi David - so the basic lens correction is taking place automatically? Under the lens correction tool tab, does the setting want to be 'Generic' or 'Manufacturer Profile'? I'm guessing 'Manufacturer Profile', but would like to confirm that. And just to be clear here, you're saying that all current Sony FE lenses are now corrected in C1P8?

Thanks for jumping in and responding to all of our questions? It's nice to get info. from the source.

-Doug
The setting would want to be Manufacturer Profile. Generic is just a really basic model for barrel distortion, so then you would have to tune it for your lens.

So using Manufacturer Profile will be reading the EXIF data to make the lens correction in terms of Distortion and Light Fall off.

Then you can adjust the sliders to suit. You might want to make a preset for how much distortion correction and light fall off correction you want. By default they are set to zero.

The good thing is (as mentioned earlier) Capture One will examine Chromatic Aberration based on your lens and sensor combination as there will be some sample variation between lenses. You can do that as a batch, just select all and choose analyse. in the lens corrections tool.

Plus you can dial in what Purple fringing you want too. To be honest I haven't seen much of that in the images I have shot so far.

David

Yep, that's perfectly understandable!

The great thing is that by using Son'ys profile we have a complete way of supporting lens corrections. Especially as there is so many combos. I just posted an image in the 'Fun' thread shot with an SLT adapter which was corrected (although not much to correct) as we use Sony's data.

It would take an age to profile everything.

David

Hello HiredArm,

Good question.

I guess if you used some funky adapter with say a Contax G lens then yes, you will need to revert to generic. The good news is you could use the LCC tool to correct for any lens colour cast and light fall off.

I need to enquire further but I am guessing any Sony Lens + Sony adapter combo (like the SLT) will be fully supported.

David

Guy Mancuso

Actually doing a LCC with some of those adapted lenses would correct vignetting and color shift in the corners as it does with tech cams. Actually thinking about it C1 has corner sharpness as well and you can add back some detail. I need a license code to finish my install but something I could check

Guy Mancuso

C1 is a great program been using it for like 10 years now when the canon 1ds came out . Back than it was 499.00 dollars

Make that 2002 so 12 years ago

mbroomfield

David, can you provide a link to Sony Express and Sony 8 Pro upgrade downloads please? Try as I might I only see download to C1 8 Pro, and purchase for $299.

Thanks

sven

I downloaded C1 8 express (for Sony) yesterday. I am long time lightroom user. With that caveat, I am finding that Lightroom gets better resolution (of course pixel peeping) compared to C1. I am simply not able to get the same level of resolution with C1. Its easily visible in unprocessed or processed files. I think C1 gets better colors though. Do you believe C1 8 pro makes any difference?

Thanks