The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1-Sony support

I downloaded C1 8 express (for Sony) yesterday. I am long time lightroom user. With that caveat, I am finding that Lightroom gets better resolution (of course pixel peeping) compared to C1. I am simply not able to get the same level of resolution with C1. Its easily visible in unprocessed or processed files. I think C1 gets better colors though. Do you believe C1 8 pro makes any difference?

Thanks
may be default luminance NR in C1 needs to be tuned down...

iiiNelson

So I downloaded C1P8 trial, used it for the last 24 hours or so, and in the interest of all fairness (I know I've been highly critical of C1 over the last 5 years or so although the criticism wasn't directed so much at IQ) it seems that the catalog system works well and I'm not getting import glitches as of now unlike in C1P7. I even upgraded my old C1E4 license up to the full version of C1P8 whileI can for $99 so if they continue to support Sony and provide future lens support ala Adobe I may continue to learn it and use it where it provides IQ improvements.

iiiNelson

Just curious what cable everyone is using for tethered capture. The supplied power cable is pretty short. It would be great to have a cable that's 10-20 feet (if it'll work with it.)

f 10

I'm happy with the update.

It's the same image, once with the engine c1 Pro7 and the other with C1 Pro8.
Guess which was made ​​with 7 and 8.
All settings were the same.

gazwas

I downloaded C1 8 express (for Sony) yesterday. I am long time lightroom user. With that caveat, I am finding that Lightroom gets better resolution (of course pixel peeping) compared to C1. I am simply not able to get the same level of resolution with C1. Its easily visible in unprocessed or processed files. I think C1 gets better colors though. Do you believe C1 8 pro makes any difference?

Thanks
You need to adjust the details slider in the noise reduction section. Weirdly a setting of 100% adds no smoothing to the image (more resolution) and the lower the setting the more noise reduction it applies. Always thought this was backwards but thats how it works.

Don Libby

Will running 8 eliminate the need of using Sony Image Data Converter? I need to run my IR files through IDC to get the corrected WB in IR.

Don

Opps forgot - I'm using C1-8 Pro....

Don Libby

I answered my own question this morning shortly after loading C1-8 Pro. The problem in shooting in infrared is that historically neither C1 and Adobe can properly read the white balance of a file shot in IR from Sony. Open either C1 or Adobe and they show the file as shot for an instant however it quickly defaults to a reddish hue since IR is red. C1 and Adobe gets confused by the file being opened. This is the reason that most IR companies recommend the file be opened first using the camera software (in my case Sony Image Data Converter).

IDC is wonky is my polite way saying the software doesn't play well with a 64-bit machine. The sole purpose of opening the files in IDC is to then save them as a Tif. Opening the files show the proper color space/white balance and nothing needs to be done except save the file.
Once the "wash" (my term) is done with the IR files they can then be opened in either C1 or Adobe where they show the proper color space/white balance and can be processed from there.

I had such high hope that C1-8 would eliminate the need of using IDC however that doesn't seem to be the case.

As I shoot in full spectrum, 665, and 720 where there's false color and I needed the files to (at least) begin as I shot them I'll need to continue using IDC. It gets slightly easier in 830nm if I want to turn out a black and white image as C1 does a great job.

For now color me disappointed...

Don

giulioz

Hello,

my name is Giulio and this is my first post on this forum. I have been observing this forum for more than a year, since I switched to Sony, and it's firmly the best Sony related discussion on the web :clap:
Now, having been frustrated lately by Lightroom/Photoshop (my images have different colour cast between the Lr Library and Develop modules; adjustments introduced in Nik Colour Effex from Lr are not carried over to Photoshop...) I bought Capture One Pro for Sony, to give it a try. I like the interface, however, being Photoshop a pillar of my workflow I am bit lost about the loose relation between C1 and PS. Yes, C1 can export images to PS, but then where do I take the finished image from PS? With Lr, once the work is done in PS, the image goes back to the Lr catalog. Shall I re-import in C1 the PS processed tiff? It's handy to keep the final image together with the raw file and other versions of the same image in a catalog from which it can be exported, printed, uploaded, compared with other images etc. Another option would be to introduce another application like Media Pro to which sending processed images from PS. Thanks in advance for your views.

Giulio

Annna T

Hello,

my name is Giulio and this is my first post on this forum. I have been observing this forum for more than a year, since I switched to Sony, and it's firmly the best Sony related discussion on the web :clap:
Now, having been frustrated lately by Lightroom/Photoshop (my images have different colour cast between the Lr Library and Develop modules; adjustments introduced in Nik Colour Effex from Lr are not carried over to Photoshop...) I bought Capture One Pro for Sony, to give it a try. I like the interface, however, being Photoshop a pillar of my workflow I am bit lost about the loose relation between C1 and PS. Yes, C1 can export images to PS, but then where do I take the finished image from PS? With Lr, once the work is done in PS, the image goes back to the Lr catalog. Shall I re-import in C1 the PS processed tiff? It's handy to keep the final image together with the raw file and other versions of the same image in a catalog from which it can be exported, printed, uploaded, compared with other images etc. Another option would be to introduce another application like Media Pro to which sending processed images from PS. Thanks in advance for your views.

Giulio
How are you managing your images usually ? From what you wrote, it could be through LR. if this is the case and you have already a big image base stored in LR, then there are two ways to get the edited pictures in LR :
1) once you have edited your tifs open LR and the Library module, find the folder where you have stored the raw & the edited tifs or jpegs versions (in the left panel) right click on it and in the context menu choose synchronise folder, your pictures will be added easily.
2) you can also make the folder in which you are working the hot folder : then LR will constantly check this folder and add the new pictures found there as they are created.

I would only consider switching to Media Pro (or another asset management program) if only a small number of pictures are already integrated in LR.

Note that the sidecar files created by the two raws converters aren't compatible : the changes done in C1 won't be read in LR and vice versa. Thus, unless you export a tiff or a jpegs, neither LR nor PS would show the adjustments made in C1 to the raws; this is normal.

However, if you export to tiff/jpegs and affect a color profile to your files in C1 and provided your display is calibrated and all the color management settings are set right) then PS should show you the same colors (at least in theory <grin>).

In particular, Adobe softwares can softproof colors (aka emulate the output). Try unchecking that box in order to see whether that isn't the cause of the difference you are seeing between C1 and Adobe softwares. For instance make sure that you export a tiff with aRGB from C1. Then set the working profile in PS to aRGB too and make sure that the softproofing check box remain unchecked.

UHDR

one thing hasnt been mentioned in this thread so far is one other difference between express and pro version: localised adjustment. abit like the adjustment brush in LR5.