The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Have all Canon fans moved to Fred Miranda?

Uaiomex

Thanks pegelli. What amazes me about this picture is that without reading the manual, I hit to the beach. There, it was mere minutes while playing with the controls when this friend of mine asked me to take a picture of her jump. I apologized in advance and warned her that the pic may not turn out useful. I just set the Mode dial to S and the Drive mode to Speed Priority Continuos and fired away. I fell in love with this little camera from moment numero uno.

philip_pj

All these forums develop their own personalities, and easy to be critical - but they all combine to give a lot of different and valuable views into the subject matter, so I for one would like to thank Guy and Fred and others for their efforts, it cannot be a stress-free enterprise.

It is understandable that C/N still dominate so forums must cater for them in a special way - having separate Sony forums is a great thing however, as the brand is both innovative - therefore interesting technically - and is growing fast. It is doing things very differently from the two big guys. Sony also attracts different people, the FF cameras in particular, another reason you get less partisan attitudes, and of course the a7 takes all lenses, so you get across much more than the insider shop of C/N.

We are in a bit of a state of flux I agree. All of them, if they are pretty relaxed and people enter in good faith, it is a nice experience, with a few bumps here and there as people quite naturally disagree. All good.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay my first comment was a joke of course and we have to give Canon a lot of credit in the industry. They have made some really nice products and some great lenses. Just a few 17,24 TSE, 85 1.2, 200 1.8 and there longer glass are some of the best in the business. But and this is a big but they lost there focus on there bodies with nothing in higher Mpx sensors with better DR and other attributes. I chalk some of this up to turning there attention towards the video side of the house.

Uaiomex

I enjoy giving Canon a little crop back for failng to stay ahead of everybody as we were used to. I do it here and in some other forums too.
But... truth is, I have a lot of respect for Canon (just don't tell them). Canon is being doing the right things for the last 25 years just failing to be tops in the sensor department in the last 3 years. One sin but of galactic proportions, unfortunately.

It happens that Sony is one big MoFu company! They stole my heart because I've been delighted for two years about their humongous effort put to come with new products that mean something and not just new products to keep our gas going. I can have all the respect in the world for Sony now.

Funny anecdote: Just two years ago or so, I rant in a discussion forum saying that I wouldn't like a Sony logo on my camera. Alpha was ok by itself but Sony? please, don't!. Today, I am a proud owner of any camera bearing this logo. I have two, going on the third one.

Digital photography is such a sweet psycho ride!!!
Eduardo

Okay my first comment was a joke of course and we have to give Canon a lot of credit in the industry. They have made some really nice products and some great lenses. Just a few 17,24 TSE, 85 1.2, 200 1.8 and there longer glass are some of the best in the business. But and this is a big but they lost there focus on there bodies with nothing in higher Mpx sensors with better DR and other attributes. I chalk some of this up to turning there attention towards the video side of the house.

Last edited:

Steve P.

I think a lot of the criticism of Canon stems from the fact that people, whether invested in the brand or not, are genuinely perplexed at their seeming lack of innovation in sensor technology at a time when all of their competitors are making notable progress in this area. Like many, I felt sure that Canon were going to come up with something head turningly different at Photokina that would explain why they've been so quiet recently, but when they didn't I have to confess at this point to being totally mystified. What are they up to?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Canon have done some big strategic blunders lately. One of them is the EOS 1D C. It's a fantastic camera, and the users are happy to say the least, but for those who don't know, it looks like a camera that is almost as good as a GH4 or an NX1 at 6 times the price and 3 times the weight. It makes Canon look expensive, and potential customers don't like "expensive".

Nikon did a similar blunder with the D3X, but fixed it with the D800/E. Even top models have to represent value for money, unless your name i Leica or Hasselblad.

What saves Canon I think, is an unbelievably loyal customer base. Nowhere is brand identity defended more fiercely than in Canon forums. I wonder if that will last forever...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What saves Canon I think, is an unbelievably loyal customer base. Nowhere is brand identity defended more fiercely than in Canon forums. I wonder if that will last forever...
I believe it's already fading. Was talking with a Canon shooter yesterday, still hanging on to the belief Canon will "leapfrog" Nikon soon... It's been almost 2 years since the D800 without any real response from Canon, and you're still hanging onto that belief? Seriously? With Canon glass owners being able to move to Sony and get a lot more body for a lot less money than C, I think we'll witness a significant erosion in their "loyal base" if they don't release a true competitor body before end of year. Rats off a sinking ship...

UHDR

Canon have done some big strategic blunders lately. One of them is the EOS 1D C.
i think thats problem. as good as it is, it's already 2 years and counting. Thanks to all the canon/NEX adaptors, i think a lot of pro/casual users with canon lens bought the A7r just to try out whats it like to have smaller camera body/ taste of 36M files, while they are waiting for their next work horse.

turtle

Here's my take:

Re-vamping their sensor technology is a HUGE challenge and doing it in one generation (form 5D III to IV, or 7D to 7D II) is a big ask. They got caught short with the last generation and will be racing hard to fix this. In the meantime, they must roll out new products, including cameras, so they have done so, albeit with no real change in DR.

The latest lenses are truly amazing and I really do think Canon is leading the way when it comes to producing a great balance of attributes in their new optics as part of a wide range. The emphasis on resolution won't be for nothing and it makes little sense to try to introduce a market leading sensor in terms of resolution without the DR. I suspect this is why we are being made to wait. Canon wants to make the DR and MP jump in one leap. Remember how many lenses from Nikon played nicely with the D800 when it was released? Not that many and even now its not a perfect situation. I would bet that Canon is lining up their ducks and, with a good spread of brilliant L and MK II L lenses, should they produce a 40MP high DR sensor, most Canon users will feel the rest of the system is ready. Look at the 16-35 F4 L IS. Brilliant. And the 24-70 L II. Amazing, 70-200 f2.8 L II. Same. All you need to do now is slot in the right body to be right at the top again. Anything less... a 40mp sensor with 12.5 stops of DR, or a 14 stop DR sensor with 28 MP.... all would be a damp squib. Canon is holding back to hit big and now they have to. After all, I have a cupboard with red ringed lenses and when I pick them up, I think 'Sony A7/R'!

The 5D III is still an astonishingly rounded camera when high DR is not needed. It runs rings around the D800 and the D810 in some respects, but the DR achilles heel is why I had strayed to Sony bodies, when I saw what such sensors made possible. I did this instead of selling up and going to Nikon, because I love the lenses I own and was confident Canon will get there with sensor tech. I don't consider myself blindly loyal at all, but have made a pragmatic decision based on an expectation, so Canon had bloody well better not let me down!!!!

What I will also say in defence of Canon, which matters to people who don't want to constantly eff around with problem solving, is that they all work, reliably and have no major QC issues. No left side focus issues (D800), no oil on sensors (D600) and no green balance and greeen LCD issues (D4/D800). They also sorted out AF issues in a spectacular way with the jump from 1D IV to 1DX (and 5D III), so credit where credit is due: they are methodically working through product weaknesses and eradicating them, without introducing QC or usability issues (D800 Live View). The 5D IV is the camera to shape their fortunes, IMO.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Big point I'm reading here from everyone is this they are two years out at this point and a lot has developed in those two years. For them to come out now they need to leapfrog what Sony has done and what Nikon has released with there Sony sensors. Not a easy task for canon and as we all read the rumors Sony is about to jump ahead again in first quarter of next year. It's very hard for a company to keep up with a aggressive Sony company that fabricates there own sensors.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
i think thats problem. as good as it is, it's already 2 years and counting. Thanks to all the canon/NEX adaptors, i think a lot of pro/casual users with canon lens bought the A7r just to try out whats it like to have smaller camera body/ taste of 36M files, while they are waiting for their next work horse.
The apparent new workhorse, the 5d mark IV is supposedly only going to have a 26 mp sensor as well, so may still be behind the curve, especially since it is not due out until mid 2015. Who knows what either Sony or Nikon will announce in that time.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
54MP full-frame (4u sensor) is not too far off ;) Of course there are only about 6 lenses that will be able to take advantage of it :ROTFL:

Shashin

54MP full-frame (4u sensor) is not too far off ;)
It will be announced with the new Phase DF body which is also just around the corner...

I think these companies should take advantage of this with their marketing. They need a new tag line: "Any day now..."

turtle

We've already seen how much bigger lenses are getting to really match even FF 36MP sensors. One also has to ask how much DR one needs. I think Canon will stay behind for a while - a few more years for sure - in sensor tech, but think that there will be a shouldering off of the resolution and DR requirements that consumers really care about. A case in point is the fact that the D810 has a sensor that has very similar performance parameters to the D800, with tweaks but no leaps. Is anyone here seriously thinking that a 80MP FF camera with 18 stops of DR is going to be that much more useful to them than 36MP and 14+ stops? If so, what lenses do you own, what is your application and how do you show your images?

Other technologies and functions will start to become relatively more important to photographers. One could say similar things about the development of firearms, or other tools. I'm saying that I don't think Canon can fail to close the gap as it matters to consumers because we are getting closer to the threshold at which further gains in these areas don't matter much, if at all, to the end image. In fact, we are already at the point where many photographers are seeking out vintage glass and various apps to make their photos look less like perfection, because we're already there, with Canon only needing a few more years to arrive.

People should also ask why so many Canon shooters prefer to stick with Canon and add Sony than go to Nikon and the reason for me is simple: the Canon kit is bloody good and while some may not understand it, its just personal preference. Nikons feel alien in my hands from tip to toe, but Sony does not. Go figure!

Surely it cannot be lost on anyone on this forum that the most impressive photographers we see are often found to be using D700s, 5D IIs and other less than perfect cameras. They have their technique down, know their kit and get on with the job, so clearly some photographers have already walked away from teh arms race a few generations ago. FF is heading in direction of the realm of small and cheap compacts with 20mp sensors matched to teensy weensy lenses and sensors that can only be seen under a microscope. And we already know what has happened there: people can't be bothered and have realised that using their iPhone already and actually gives them what they want.... This is why I was excited by the GM-1... and the A7R and my 24mm TS-E... because they all brought something new to the bargain; another form of utility that actually helped me create.