The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Have all Canon fans moved to Fred Miranda?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While I think Canon need a high megapixel camera, they need to keep their eyes open towards the other end as well. Several well regarded and very popular cameras launched the last couple of years, including the Df, the A7s, the E-M1, the GH4 and all the Fujis, are 16MP cameras, the Sony only 12. This seems to be a sweet spot for most:

- Excellent low light photography
- A good size for 4K video
- Not too demanding on the lenses
- Small files
- Prints fantasticly up to A2 and sometimes larger

I don't know if this is among the reasons why Canon seem to have stopped around 20MP, but unfortunately, they haven't seemed to reap the benefits of the relatively low pixel number.

Uaiomex

Its official. Canon believes they fabricate the best sensor there is. In a DPR interview with one very big-shot at Canon Imaging, Maeda San said that if they didn't, they would outsource from somebody else.
That doesn't sound too encouraging to keep us waiting, unless he furtively meant they already have it ready for production.
Thoughts?

Steve P.

Surely it cannot be lost on anyone on this forum that the most impressive photographers we see are often found to be using D700s, 5D IIs and other less than perfect cameras. They have their technique down, know their kit and get on with the job, so clearly some photographers have already walked away from teh arms race a few generations ago.
Turtle, you make some very fair points in what you say, but it's not just existing photographers that Canon needs to please. They also need to attract new blood to their brand and if they are perceived as lagging behind their competitors in core technologies then that will become increasingly difficult to do. That's why I feel they must have something up their sleeve. I mean, they MUST have, right? :confused:

alajuela

My feeling echo Turtle's to a large degree.

As somebody who shot Nikon for 30 years then switched over to a Canon system with the coming of the 20D. And to stay consistant, with previous posts, I feel the 5DIII is a great camera - never had any buyer's remorse. I really do not see myself changing systems (although 3rd party lenses are a great inspration) again, too much hassle for too little return, rather invest the time and money in making images. The demise of Canon is a bit premature,

yet ..

But The elephant(s) in the room is -- Pentex 645Z and the Fuji system

Having had 1Ds, and looking at the Pentex, price. size, and system. This must be a consideration if looking to get the Canon Large megapixel camera when it arrives. Yes Canon has a fantastic if not the best lens range ( I own or have used most of them) - But I think the big whites really shine on the current 1Dx - and future versions. Although Canon is revamping their lens line up there is a question - how many of the new lenses will work on a large mega 35mm sensor. Canon being a vertical and integrated company - I would think that the newer lens would, but that is educated conjecture, not a sure thing.
The Pentex feels nice in the hand -auto focus is good, and so is iso. I doubt if the coming Canon Mega will be much cheaper than than the Pentex.

The Fuji must be a consideration when looking for 1.5 sensor - IQ is great - lens line is great - form factor is great - Video not so good.

We will see, canon has not really used the Sept show to announce their cameras, just recently if I am not mistaken the 5DIII and 1Dx were announced after the Photokina of that year.

Amazing rate at which new products get developed and come to market, But as Turtle and others have mentioned, do you need it, just because it is new or because you can afford it? An example, is that I looking to get back in road biking and buying a new bike after a hiatus from racing. I am not even considering the Dura Ace or Record group set, although before I considered them as essential. It will not help to accomplish what I want from biking at the moment.

turtle

I agree, they must and in some respects the continued support for cameras such as the EOS-M with a few token new lenses all point towards keeping things ticking along and reducing investment in dying lines. We already know they have a multi-layer sensor on the go, but will it be any good? It could have similar limitations to the Foveon, might be of marginal (if any benefit) like the X-Trans, or could be phenomenal. Lets me honest, neither X trans nor Foveon have convinced the masses. Not even close, so major innovation is a tough option. If they pull it off, it will be very interesting!

I think it would be an error to label Canon as 'lost' at this stage. After all, how many years ago was the 5D II conquering the photography world? Not many and I don't think the institutional knowledge, culture and leadership has vanished in those few years. I think they missed some important turnings and will be looking for the right strategic turning to correct it, not a knee jerk that will dig the hole deeper.

As for Canon thinking they have the best sensors, that's just marketing and brand protection babble. I don't doubt for a minute that they know they need to make some serious splashes....

As for Canon missing a trick in the 16MP area, I quite agree. Its an area that is of particular interest to me, with 36 MP being covered with the A7R. I have no interest in 50MP because I know it is a total waste of time due to lens limitations. Canon makes superb professional and prosumer cameras and some decent consumer ones. But how many are either outright 'fun' or have aesthetic/style appeal? This is an area where Fuji and others have done very well and why I own a GM-1 and A7R!

Turtle, you make some very fair points in what you say, but it's not just existing photographers that Canon needs to please. They also need to attract new blood to their brand and if they are perceived as lagging behind their competitors in core technologies then that will become increasingly difficult to do. That's why I feel they must have something up their sleeve. I mean, they MUST have, right? :confused:

Uaiomex

Concerning cameras, word of mouth is powerful. For years I've lived under the impression that the collective really listen to professionals and respected amateurs.
It is unlike cars in which people listen a bit and then they go shopping for eye candy.

I believe that Canon from now on will face waves of migration after every lame photo-show and even after every strong rumor not fulfilled.

Steve P.

I believe that Canon from now on will face waves of migration after every lame photo-show and even after every strong rumor not fulfilled.
Unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat! Maybe that multi-layer sensor that Turtle mentioned? :)

sven

I really do not see myself changing systems (although 3rd party lenses are a great inspration) again, too much hassle for too little return, rather invest the time and money in making images. The demise of Canon is a bit premature,

yet ..

But The elephant(s) in the room is -- Pentex 645Z and the Fuji system
Agree 100%, those who are invested remain with the system but a large number of photographers switch systems easily as their investment in lenses is minimal. Unless Canon can stem this movement, it is going to be in trouble. I came out of the canon system after the 1D mk3 debacle and never looked back. But I always loved the "look" of the CR2 images and have fond remembrances of the system.

DigitalSteve

[/QUOTE]"Something I didn't know is that Fred is being asked and refused for a Sony forum. I guess it means Fred is a diehard Canon fanboy. Sooner or later it will bite him.
LuLa and MR "endorse" more and more the smaller formats, something that in the past rarely happenned. Times are changing... fast.

Keep on shooting
Eduardo[/QUOTE]

It was on the FM forum that I first learned about the Sony A7r and Fred bought one along with the Metabones EOS to FE adapter. He was reporting on his use of the 17mmTSE on it. I bought the A7r because of his posts. So it's odd he does not have a Sony forum on his site. Recently sold my 6D and 5D3, but kept my Canon 17mm TSE, MPE-65 macro and some other canon lenses. If Canon releases something better than the Sony, I will probably buy it. My 1st Canon was the 1Ds, which doubled he resolution of the Nikon I was shooting.