The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

TS-E 17mm f/4L image movement when focusing

conrad2

Just got the Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L and was trying it out and noticed that when turning the focus ring back and forth while fine tuning the focus on my a7r in the magnification mode, the image shifts slightly to the left and right when the direction of rotation is changed. I have never seen anything like this with any other lens on the camera when manually focusing.

All the shift movements were locked down in the centered positions, so its not the lens shifting. Seems like a lens element is shifting slightly in the horizontal direction with the change in direction of the focus ring.

Has anyone seen this when using this lens?

Thanks.

conrad2

I am still within the return window on this lens so will really appreciate hearing back.

To add a bit more detail, if I go from rotating CCW to CW the image jumps to the left and from CW to CCW it jumps to the right. Its not a subtle thing, but it jumps right out at you. If I rotate the lens so the movement is vertical then I don't see any movement when reversing focus direction.

As you know, two magnification clicks brings up the "x14.4" in the upper left hand corner of the screen and the amount of horizontal movement seen on the screen is about equal to the width of the "1" in the "14.4" when the image is in sharp focus. Obviously has to be tripod mounted to see it.

Images so far seem fine, but at this price point want to be sure there is not some problem that is going to show up over time.