The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone Considering the FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS?

dandrewk

I haven't seen much discussion here. This lens fascinates me, as I've always had one "do it all" lens, and it comes in super handy on vacation trips and situations where a broad FL range is quickly needed. I've always had such a lens with my Nikon systems, and that type of lens became the workhorse.

I don't expect perfection, but certainly stopped down a bit should solve the most glaring issues. The Nikon versions were great as long as the maximum FL was avoided. I've taken some great shots over the years.

I expect more of the same, and better, from Sony. My one wish is NO lens drift, where the lens zooms out when pointed down. This is often an issue with a broad range, external zoom.

iiiNelson

Considering it... I'm not much of a zoom guy but there are times where they are clearly convenient like for vacation where you may not need ultimate IQ or a bag full of a range of primes.

ggibson

I'm curious about it, since it could be a decent option to pick up for telephoto. I think my current telephoto lens gets about 10-20% as much use as my wide angle or normal lenses, but there are certainly situations where it's indispensable.

Looks like it'll be the next lens to be released according to the roadmap, so let's cross our fingers that it is affordable!

UHDR

let's see if the optic performance is any good. im hoping it will at least match APSC 18-105mmG. if it can, then i can simplify my travel kit down to 16-35mm + 24-240mm and may be a CV 35/40 F1.4 lens.