The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alternate wide angle question

jkjod

I know the FE 16-35 is right around the corner, but it will be too expensive for me right out of the gate. I would like a wide angle option for landscapes and was thinking the Tokina 19-35 3.5 with la-ea3. The Tokina seems to get pretty decent reviews, albeit from 3-5 years ago. Just wondering if it will live up to the Sony's newer sensor.

Curious if anyone has any used this lens, or has any opinions on it. Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Jordan

iiiNelson

I don't know. I just skimmed some reviews and it seems like a mixed bag when it comes to build quality and durability. If it were me I'd try to save up for a lens that I know would work or look at used Minolta lenses or Samyang/Rokinon primes.

jkjod

Ok, agreed after looking at more reviews. The rokinon primes look really nice, although very large. I have seen some very good results with a Canon FD 20 2.8 and Canon FD 20-35 3.5. But again the Canon 20-35 looks rather large.

I am curious how the Voigtlander 20 3.5 for Nikon manages on the a7. There is a review up for the a7r but it is hard to tell how the corners do.

iiiNelson

Ok, agreed after looking at more reviews. The rokinon primes look really nice, although very large. I have seen some very good results with a Canon FD 20 2.8 and Canon FD 20-35 3.5. But again the Canon 20-35 looks rather large.

I am curious how the Voigtlander 20 3.5 for Nikon manages on the a7. There is a review up for the a7r but it is hard to tell how the corners do.
Most SLR lens do well prat least as designed. The Minolta 20 is supposed to be pretty good and you'd retain AF with the LA-E4 adapter. I think there may be some Canon FD20 shots on here by a user named Rawfa.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member

Jordan, I've got an FD 20 2.8 I use on my A7R & A7S just fine. I don't have an A7 myself, but if it works well on both of mine I would expect it to do well on the A7 also. I can dig out some examples if you would like.

jkjod

I appreciate it, I wouldn't mind some examples that would be fantastic! How far do you have to stop down to get the corners looking acceptable? How do you like the size on the a7R/s? From the pics I have seen of the Voigt 20 it looks really compact.

Jordan,

I made a series of quick test shots with my 20mm FD lens on the a7R a while back for another forum member. I find it quite useable at 5.6 and above. You're welcome to have a look.

Full-rez images on Flickr, here -

f2.8

f4.0

f5.6

f8

f11

f16

BTW, if you use Lightroom, it has a lens correction preset for the 20mm FD which will deal with the distortion (relatively minor, in any case).

UHDR

i was about to suggest grab a canon 17mm TS then i saw the reason.... :D

anyway, consider a sigma 12-24mm on canon/nikon/sony. it's low-ish in price, and once you have enough money to get 16-35mm or others, the 12-24mm will still provide its value in even wider shots. (12-16mm range not covered by 16-35mm).

alternatively take a nikkor AIS 20mm F2.8 or AFD 20mm then use it with Kipon's tilt and shift adapter, that will allow wider shots than just 20mm.

third option, and abit more straight forward, consider Samyang's 14mm. to certain extend it's as sharp as Zeiss 15mm and Nikon's 14-24mm which both are considered to be the one of sharpest options for A7/r/s at the moment. the only down side to this one is the strange unusual distortion.

jkjod

The Minolta/Sony AF 20 2.8 seems like a good option with the la-ea3 - this would give the option of auto-focus (which would make my wife happy when she has the camera).

I've been searching for a while now and can't really find anything about is being used on an a7.

Thanks everybody for the comments and help, much appreciated!

ggibson

Hi Jordan, I have the Voigtlander 20mm for Nikon adapted to my A7. Indeed, it is nice an compact, and a very well-made lens. Works great on the A7. Here's a blogger who shoots with it for stock photography:

Sony A7r + Voigtlander 20mm f/3.5 Color Skopar SL II

Personally, I am planning to get the 16-35mm once it comes out, so I'm probably going to sell the Voigtlander soon. If you're interested, or have specific questions, let me know.

jkjod

Thanks Graham, I did see that review - it is basically the only one I could find on an a7/a7R body. If you end up selling just let me know, I may be interested.

iiiNelson

The Minolta/Sony AF 20 2.8 seems like a good option with the la-ea3 - this would give the option of auto-focus (which would make my wife happy when she has the camera).

I've been searching for a while now and can't really find anything about is being used on an a7.

Thanks everybody for the comments and help, much appreciated!
I believe the LA-E3 is manual focus only although it does support FF lenses. If you want AF on FF lenses it requires the LA-E4 adapter which runs ~$350.