The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 35/2.8 vs Leica 35mm

turtle

The Sony lens is much better than Leica M 35mm lenses on the A7. Bokeh is very good, generally.

The only Leica M mount lens that competes is the CV 35 1.2, which is actually slightly sharper in the outer field at f5.6 and beyond. At f2.8 and f4, the Sony Zeiss is sharper off centre, substantially so at f2.8.

The Summarit-M cannot remotely compete with the Sony Zeiss on the A7/A7R and its one of the better Leica 35mm lenses on the A7.

I put a full-size file up on my blog from the 35mm Sony Zeiss so you can see the sort of performance its capable of on the A7R.http://thephotofundamentalist.com/?p=1103

I did a review as well http://thephotofundamentalist.com/?p=150

IMO if you are shooting the A7, the native lenses really are best. At 110g its a hell of a lot lighter than the CV 35 f1.2....

Paratom

Yes I use both the M and A7. I sued to have 2 M9's sold one when I got her M240 and the 2nd when I got the A7. I now have the A7, A7s and M. I basically only shoot the M nowadays with the WATE and 28 summicron asph (favourite lens) and my 50 summilux which used to be a favourite hardly gets any use since i got the A7 and FE55. I have the CV35/1.2 v2 which I use occasionally on the A7 or A7s, a lovely lens though rather heavy
So did you ever think to use just one of the 2 systems?

As biglouis says, asph leica lenses are reported to be not so good on A7R,
but i can confirm that all 35 R and 35 M non asph give very good results.
The summilux m 35 type II which is so small, is a typical example. At 1,4
glow and dreaminess dominate, producing delicate tonal variations, but just
after 1 or 2 stops you get a completely different lens, sharp and strong and
at the same time with the color transparency of all the luxes. It is like having
2 or 3 lenses in the same barrel, and you can modulate results at your pleasure.
As a modest and inadequate example, this "puttino" at 1,4 and 2,8.

_DSC3452 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

_DSC3454 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio

How the new ZM will go on the a7r is interesting, as CZ will not do a Loxia equivalent for a long while if at all - we are blessed with choice not even counting the old favorites.

The MTF are *really* good, everywhere at all apertures...best of all by f4 it is really smoking for all of frame work, with no distortion to speak of. At $2290 on release it will exert downward pressure on the Sony equivalent, which might be around $1300, just a guess. I bet it's a classic.

http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Ph...nloadcenter/datasheets_zm/distagont1435zm.pdf

Quick samples of the 1,4/35 ZM Distagon on the a7r

Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: Hands On with Zeiss 35mm Distagon on Sony a7r at Photo Plus

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
^^^^ Just to add to what Chuck says above ^^^^

I have not yet taken his advice to get a cron 35 because I am still using a cron 40. From my research it seems the opinion is that later Leica ASPH lenses do not work as well as older pre-ASPH glass. The cron 40 is sharp edge-to-edge, lovely colours, nice bokeh etc.

I also own the FE 35/2.8 which is imho is overpriced and underwhelming. I only keep it because of the convenience of a lens you can take snaps with which is AF. But I do feel a bit short-changed by Sony and it is one reason I am suspicious about buying any more Sony Carl Zeiss lenses. I already own the FE 55/1.8 which is by comparison a complete keeper but a 50% success rate is not inspiring.

Louis

PS Dang - just went into ebay and a reputable dealer has a V3 35 cron for a decent price. Sorry, I mean 'had' a decent v3 cron 35 for a decent price. It is now on its way to me.
Louis, do us a favor and post your evaluation when you get it. To my eyes, it is an exceptional lens. I'll be very interested to hear your evaluation vs the FE 35mm f/2.8 you also own. My wager is your going to be surprised at what you got for how little you paid for it. :)

I wouldn't use any of the originally-mentioned lenses on A7/r, except when I might want the Zeiss' autofocus.

IMO it's a nasty little thing, clinical and contrasty. And the 35 Cron and Lux won't cover the corners well at widest apertures, without some tinting and distortion.

Your best bet is a 40mm Summicron, which is pretty sharp wide open and covers the corners perfectly.

Kirk

turtle

I think calling them 'nasty' is a bit harsh. They are both high contrast lenses designed for contrast and resolution and they do this exceedingly well. Shot in very high contrast conditions there are gentler lenses, but shot in flatter light they make image processing that bit easier.

Having shot both FE lenses extensively for a large B&W aerial photography project, alongside a Panasonic GM-1, once processed to my tastes I cannot see the difference between the Panny and Sony Zeiss shots. I think the main issue is that on the A7R, the 35mm and 55mm Zeiss FE resolve incredibly well and with high contrast. This in itself is a look not everyone will appreciate.

Overall, I prefer the average modern Leica lens character over modern Zeiss because I feel they are somehow more rounded, but in shooting some very low contrast hazy scenery, the Zeiss lenses have been very handy to have on board. I can see that some might not like the bite of the Zeiss lenses, but the bokeh and colour is excellent and the files are easily adjusted to taste in post. Certainly if you hope to make the most of A7R resolution, especially at ider apertures and across the field, they still lead the way (if you get a decent copy!!)

I wouldn't use any of the originally-mentioned lenses on A7/r, except when I might want the Zeiss' autofocus.

IMO it's a nasty little thing, clinical and contrasty. And the 35 Cron and Lux won't cover the corners well at widest apertures, without some tinting and distortion.

Your best bet is a 40mm Summicron, which is pretty sharp wide open and covers the corners perfectly.

Kirk

Paratom

I think calling them 'nasty' is a bit harsh. They are both high contrast lenses designed for contrast and resolution and they do this exceedingly well. Shot in very high contrast conditions there are gentler lenses, but shot in flatter light they make image processing that bit easier.

Having shot both FE lenses extensively for a large B&W aerial photography project, alongside a Panasonic GM-1, once processed to my tastes I cannot see the difference between the Panny and Sony Zeiss shots. I think the main issue is that on the A7R, the 35mm and 55mm Zeiss FE resolve incredibly well and with high contrast. This in itself is a look not everyone will appreciate.

Overall, I prefer the average modern Leica lens character over modern Zeiss because I feel they are somehow more rounded, but in shooting some very low contrast hazy scenery, the Zeiss lenses have been very handy to have on board. I can see that some might not like the bite of the Zeiss lenses, but the bokeh and colour is excellent and the files are easily adjusted to taste in post. Certainly if you hope to make the most of A7R resolution, especially at ider apertures and across the field, they still lead the way (if you get a decent copy!!)
I agree that after having used the A7s now for some weeks with 24-70 and 55/1.8 (and yes, I now added the 35/2.8) I like the handling and the images are sharp but color and overall look from my M looks "rounder" and more pleasant so far.