The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loxia or FE 55?

Paratom

They are also slower than manual focusing speeds. Besides (except Fuji and Samsung and tiny formats) all AF lenses in that FL range are not that fast, including the new and shiny Leica's T system.
Hi Vivek,
I dont understand what you mean, I am not aware of a 50mm equivalent AF lens for the T.

V

Vivek

Hi Tom,

Fast lenses are limited to f/2.8 and f/1.8 (The T's fastest is f2). The only proposed fast lens for the E mount is a 35/1.4 monster.

I can still focus a fast 50ish lens on the A7/r faster than any AF these cams offer (it may not work for others as David points out above).

Paratom

Hi Tom,

Fast lenses are limited to f/2.8 and f/1.8 (The T's fastest is f2). The only proposed fast lens for the E mount is a 35/1.4 monster.

I can still focus a fast 50ish lens on the A7/r faster than any AF these cams offer (it may not work for others as David points out above).
I understand,
it seems you are faster manually focusing than I can achieve (or your AF is slower than mine ;) )
Nice to have the choices between those lenses.
I read one can use the Noxia in a way focus mganification is automated automatically when turning the wheel. This should be a nice option for people who like manual focus.

iiiNelson

Another thing to think about (this is going from my ZM experiences) is that the 50 Planar while not quite as sharp wide open will give you more pleasing shots for people. That's not to take anything away from the 55 as its a great lens (and possibly more versatile) too. Again you won't be displeased with either unless you're an extreme pixel peeper or require the sharpest lens out there.

V

Vivek

I understand,
it seems you are faster manually focusing than I can achieve (or your AF is slower than mine ;) )
I guess it will be about 15 years to slow my faculties and to match any auto focus improvements.

Paratom

Another thing to think about (this is going from my ZM experiences) is that the 50 Planar while not quite as sharp wide open will give you more pleasing shots for people. That's not to take anything away from the 55 as its a great lens (and possibly more versatile) too. Again you won't be displeased with either unless you're an extreme pixel peeper or require the sharpest lens out there.
Thats what I found from looking at the Portrait Images in the comparison. The Noxia looked slightly more pleasing to my eyes, but the differences seemed pretty small.

johnnygoesdigital

i've thought of this lens (Loxia/50) too. Aside from performance I just really like the look of this lens and the zoom manual feature. It seems to compliment the A7 in a way that Leica does with its manual focus lenses.
That being said, i've used the 55 1.8 FE in places i'm not sure the Loxia would like, such as extreme cold and snow. I've literally had the 55FE covered in snow (UV in place) of course, and not something I recommend, but the lens performed perfectly. There's a little peace of mind knowing your lens is weather sealed.

Sony A7 users have waited long enough for a good selection of primes. Now an 85mm1.4 would be welcomed too.

iiiNelson

i've thought of this lens (Loxia/50) too. Aside from performance I just really like the look of this lens and the zoom manual feature. It seems to compliment the A7 in a way that Leica does with its manual focus lenses.
That being said, i've used the 55 1.8 FE in places i'm not sure the Loxia would like, such as extreme cold and snow. I've literally had the 55FE covered in snow (UV in place) of course, and not something I recommend, but the lens performed perfectly. There's a little peace of mind knowing your lens is weather sealed.

Sony A7 users have waited long enough for a good selection of primes. Now an 85mm1.4 would be welcomed too.
There's always that hope for getting the "Otus-lite" treatment in the form of a Sony Zeiss 85/1.8 FE.

johnnygoesdigital

There's always that hope for getting the "Otus-lite" treatment in the form of a Sony Zeiss 85/1.8 FE.
Agreed! The 85mm is such a great focal length. Honestly, the 55FE is much closer to the Otus then the Loxia in regards to technical data, but many suggest the rendering of the Loxia more pleasing. I'm not convinced though, i've cropped the 55FE really tight and the results are spectacular. You might spend a little more time editing, but a weather proof lens is important for my style.

iiiNelson

Agreed! The 85mm is such a great focal length. Honestly, the 55FE is much closer to the Otus then the Loxia in regards to technical data, but many suggest the rendering of the Loxia more pleasing. I'm not convinced though, i've cropped the 55FE really tight and the results are spectacular. You might spend a little more time editing, but a weather proof lens is important for my style.
I think most people are referring to the "more pleasing" warmer style of the Loxia - especially for people shots. The 50 Planar on which the Loxia is based on was known as a great character lens and one that performed above it's price level on the M platform. In fact I chose it above the 50 Summicron and not because I bought it for1/3 the price either. I own a 50 Summilux FLE still as well but there's something special about the Zeiss 50.

For clinical perfection or absolute detail I don't think anyone will argue that the 55 FE doesn't excel at that. They're both great lenses and there's room for both if you love the focal length.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice thread and with much mental debate on what to buy. I need the A and FE mount for both my cams. I was not willing to wait for the Sigma Art 50mm 1.4 so I bought a Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZA. I figure worst that can happen is it will render like my 85 1.4 ZA which I love. So my bet is I will be happy with it. Right now i still have not committed to the FE mount in total when the Mark II versions of the A7 series comes out and it has the same or better focusing abilities as my A77II than I will jump hook, line and sinker. Until than Ill buy what works today because sitting here waiting on Sigma is Not a good option( waiting on anything is not how I roll either), waiting on Zeiss for the Loxia does not solve the A mount issue and I am pretty dang sure I will render just like it. Being a Pro I have these limitations in the FE mount that I just can't overcome right now until a improved body comes out.

iiiNelson

Nice thread and with much mental debate on what to buy. I need the A and FE mount for both my cams. I was not willing to wait for the Sigma Art 50mm 1.4 so I bought a Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZA. I figure worst that can happen is it will render like my 85 1.4 ZA which I love. So my bet is I will be happy with it. Right now i still have not committed to the FE mount in total when the Mark II versions of the A7 series comes out and it has the same or better focusing abilities as my A77II than I will jump hook, line and sinker. Until than Ill buy what works today because sitting here waiting on Sigma is Not a good option( waiting on anything is not how I roll either), waiting on Zeiss for the Loxia does not solve the A mount issue and I am pretty dang sure I will render just like it. Being a Pro I have these limitations in the FE mount that I just can't overcome right now until a improved body comes out.
Well the good thing is you can sell the Zeiss if you don't like it or buy the Sigma outright if it out performs it in your eyes.

johnnygoesdigital

I really miss the 24mm f2 and the 85mm 1.4 when I had the Alpha mount. I suppose i could try the LAea3/4, but i've read that the translucent mirror degrades the image slightly.

Guy Mancuso

Hogwash. But seriously I have not noticed any degradation. I guess obviously if it was dirty or had something on it sure. Seriously though i think some reports like this are more internet lure than anything else. Maybe Im wrong but I have not noticed anything like this. Including the newest one I read today with regards to banding blaming lossy compression. But here is the key have you seen anything faster in 1.8 in a FE mount. Only the A mount is faster. Now if maybe I had a A7s than speed of lens may not be so important but shooting things at F4 and yes i am STILL HIGH ISO shy makes me nervous. Okay I went off topic. You remember my 55, 85 and 135 test. Well the 85 and 135 where with the LA-4 and they did very very well with the 55 1.8 which maybe only the OTUS and Sigma Art can beat the 55.

Guy Mancuso

Well the good thing is you can sell the Zeiss if you don't like it or buy the Sigma outright if it out performs it in your eyes.
Exactly my thinking. Until Sigma actually shows there hand which lets be honest they have botched the 24-105 A mount release and Im just not sure how serious they are about the A mount. So until its on the streets ill play it safe.

The key here is i have enough money in the Zeiss to make that switch if need be. Money sitting in my Paypal account for 2 months is not likely going to be there when it does come out. LOL

been a rough week sold 2 lenses I really like for 2 lenses that I really need. The 24 TSE and great 50mm

johnnygoesdigital

Guy,

I agree on internet hype...
I am considering the LA3 or 4 just to play with those and other Alpha/Minolta lenses. I haven't held back on the adapter because of hype, but only hope that they'll be more fast FE prime lenses in the portrait range.

Guy Mancuso

Well agree it's also a forced issue to get focal length and speed. Time will make it better and as I mentioned earlier I'm having a hard time committing to the FE mount until a version 2 comes out. I need something that can track AF like the A77II can. Until than I will hang on to the 2 bodies but I really want to go FE all the way. Maybe early next year. Get the La-4 as it does give you AF not sure the 3 does

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I guess that if the lens doesn't fit in the constraints of the FE mount it needs to be redesigned. The Nikon mount is not wider than the FE mount AFAIK but flange distance is long on the Nikon mount, giving more opportunity for optical tricks.

So, yes, I think Sigma can be right.

Best regards
Erik

Exactly my thinking. Until Sigma actually shows there hand which lets be honest they have botched the 24-105 A mount release and Im just not sure how serious they are about the A mount. So until its on the streets ill play it safe.

The key here is i have enough money in the Zeiss to make that switch if need be. Money sitting in my Paypal account for 2 months is not likely going to be there when it does come out. LOL

been a rough week sold 2 lenses I really like for 2 lenses that I really need. The 24 TSE and great 50mm

Paratom

Hogwash. But seriously I have not noticed any degradation. I guess obviously if it was dirty or had something on it sure. Seriously though i think some reports like this are more internet lure than anything else. Maybe Im wrong but I have not noticed anything like this. Including the newest one I read today with regards to banding blaming lossy compression. But here is the key have you seen anything faster in 1.8 in a FE mount. Only the A mount is faster. Now if maybe I had a A7s than speed of lens may not be so important but shooting things at F4 and yes i am STILL HIGH ISO shy makes me nervous. Okay I went off topic. You remember my 55, 85 and 135 test. Well the 85 and 135 where with the LA-4 and they did very very well with the 55 1.8 which maybe only the OTUS and Sigma Art can beat the 55.
Hi Guy,
The E-Mount lenses are not the fastest but compared to Fuji or to the A77II the FF-sensor allows quite shallow DOF. And with the A7s high ISO capability is quite good and a little slower lenses not that much of a problem.

People see a m43 12-40/2.8 as fast lens , and a FF 24-70/4.0 as slow lens. For me a 12-40/2.8 m43 is equivalent to a 24-80/5.6 FF lens, a 50/1.4 on DX I see as a 75/2.0 FF lens.

More important than max f-stop of a lens - for me-is that the widest f-stop is really good and usable.
So far I am quite happy with FE Zooms (24-70 and also the 70-200 seems quite good).
I have waited long before eventually checking out an A7s ... but I am seriously considering to sell my Canon 5DIII and lenses. Of course the Canon is faster and does nice focus tracking, but the A7s an A7 do focus faster than I had experienced. (I would never chnage if sports were my main interest - but my kids are fast too sometimes and the A7s so far keeps up pretty good).

sorry, off topic.