The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loxia or FE 55?

cam

Totally welcome!

Like Guy said, I have the Mitakon, the Sigma ART and a Nikon 50/1.8G special edition :)
You don't want to see that Lux, Jack, you really really don't!

Especially with the VME adaptor for close focusing, you will be smitten all over again. Smitten, I say! A total goner :ROTFL:

Then again, Jack. Yeah. Why not? Let Matt bring that sweet little light stunning lens for you to check out… Karma's a ***** :D

V

Vivek

Cam, Your poetical description does not match the performance of this at all. :(

Are guys being serious? :confused:

cam

I do not carry useless overpriced junk (well, within reason). I am willing to be proven to be wrong. :)

Show something to match the lyrics. :p
Give me a little time! I'm not very comfortable showing my testing of the lens… But knowing it, and knowing what I got on it with the Epson, this looks to be stellar for street.

Keep in mind, my 1962 E43 is a slightly different optical than Matt's (I was at the cusp), so my glass may have better micro-contrast. What I've found, though, is that it's plenty sharp enough for my needs but has a very gentle (dare I say film-like?) roll-off between what is in focus and what isn't… And it's really a tiny lens compared to all that are being mentioned here (except the C-Sonnar -- which is wider but shorter).

Or better yet, invite us up there so you can play with my useless junk and I can play with yours :eek:

xxx

P.S. These are from Jack on the Leica that convinced me to get the lens in the first place: Cinco_smooth - GetDPI Image Gallery He thinks he'd stopped down to f/4, but you can still get a good taste of it's draw.

V

Vivek

Cam, Jack's samples are not a fair comparison and you know the reasons already. :)

Looking forward to yours and no kitchen snaps! ;)

From one Leica nut to another, may I recommend a Yashinon from an Electro 35 camera (there are one or two people who mount them for Sony E, AFAIK, one is in the US and another in China)? Then you will understand that there is no magic in any of the Mandler stuff on Sony E cameras.

cam

Cam, Jack's samples are not a fair comparison and you know the reasons already. :)

Looking forward to yours and no kitchen snaps! ;)

From one Leica nut to another, may I recommend a Yashinon from an Electro 35 camera (there are one or two people who mount them for Sony E, AFAIK, one is in the US and another in China)? Then you will understand that there is no magic in any of the Mandler stuff on Sony E cameras.
Yes…

And, no, no kitchen snaps… I have a… oh, never mind… I'll wait until I have something worthy :p

Which A7 do you have? I'm so late to the party, I truly don't know… What I do know, however, is that the big fat pixels on the A7s seem to play real nice with Mandler and you know I worship that man...

jfirneno

Well I've done a few comparisons between the Sony FE 55 f/1.8 and the Loxia 50mm f/2. I did the comparison at f/2 and looked at the corners. It appears that the 55mm is slightly better. Of course being a 1.8 I guess that would be expected. But the Loxia is definitely close. Comes down to whether you want auto-focus or not. If you're shooting video the de-clicked aperture is supposed to be a good thing (I've heard). I like the Loxia, very solid construction. Hope they produce some wider ones than the 35mm though. Would like to get something around 20mm or a 24mm.

Regards,
John

Last edited:

philip_pj

John, the difference is in the flatness of field of the FE55, which means that its imaging performance is very consistent (and high) across the frame; the Loxia 50/2 suffers a big dip at 70-80% out from the image axis.

At this point, which shows in any infinity shot, the L50/2 is delivering just 55-60% of its very good centre donut - after the hole it recovers to deliver very good corners. That is curvature for you, and it most afflicts exactly the image data many now want - fine level detail, although object shaping suffers as well.

Don't crop if you can help it, for just this reason. See it in the MTF charts from this page:
Loxia Lenses | ZEISS International

The Sony FE55 MTF is here, ignore the optimistic level, look at the shape of the lines:
Sony Global - Digital Imaging - ? Lenses - Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA (half way down, you can expand the box) - it's very like the Otuses.