The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

12mm full frame lenses

jfirneno

I've currently been using a Sigma 12-24 zoom (first version) for extreme wide angle shots (mostly landscape applications). Sigma has replaced this lens with a new version that I hear is both sharper in the corners but has worse image distortion. In addition, I've heard people using the VC 12mm lens on the A7 cameras. My question is can anyone provide a comparison of either of the Sigma lenses to the VC 12mm? I guess I'm interested in its use as a landscape lens on an A7S (but any comparisons are meaningful). Just looking for opinions, so even if you haven't performed in-depth testing I'd be interested.

Regards,
John

jfirneno

I was on a trip recently with Steve Huff and he was using the 15mm CV on the A7S, and said it was a great combo. I had both the 15 and the 12 in my Leica M9 days, and the 12 was better on the color shading than the 15, and quite sharp into the corners.

The Sony A7s – Handlheld Antelope Canyon | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
Thanks Jagsiva,

Sharp corners is definitely an improvement over my 12-24 (although if I put the focus on the corners it's really not terrible, just not great).

Regards,
John