The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

Godfrey

I'm not worried about the weight increase either because it is still less than a Leica M and includes IBIS, EVF and a good grip. I think 600g is a good place to stay though. I hope the A9 is not a lot heavier.

As for lighter options, well, I have no intention of selling my A7 and A7R... they're still amazing cameras.
Yeah, a '3 Mars bars' additional penalty for IBIS and a better grip is no problem. ;-)

That said, I do wish they'd have added a bit more battery capacity. The A7 is the only camera in recent years I've felt it necessary to have four batteries for, and often used them all in a long day's shoot. Most of my cameras I have two or three batteries for and have only very rarely used up even one in a day's shooting.

G

The A7 is the only camera in recent years I've felt it necessary to have four batteries for, and often used them all in a long day's shoot.
At least the batteries are small and cheap.

For less than the price of one battery for the Leica M I formerly shot with, I got ten batteries and five chargers* for the Sony. (I carry five with me, for two bodies, and leave the other five at home in the chargers, so I always have five fresh ones.)

*Wasabi Power brand.

4season

Kidding aside, A7 II sounds awesome, but for me, Mk II might be one repeat visit too soon to Sony's smorgasbord. Besides, there's rumors about an amazing dessert cart on the way in the form of a new RX-series camera or A9, and it's always wise to leave some room for dessert.

In a way, I sort of miss the Leica way of doing things: Their buffet is smaller, and the service is more leisurely, so there's little danger in over-eating, and you're always grateful when something new arrives.

I only have one comment to make. Why did they keep the AA filter? A real mistake, imho and a reason why I won't be upgrading any time soon.

LouisB
Funny, I have the exact opposite opinion after today's shoot of 80 different sports apparel items on models. The moire, ahhhhhh, the moire!!!

Believe me there was gobs of detail and sharpy edges - no need for the AA filter to go away, thanks.

Viramati

Kidding aside, A7 II sounds awesome, but for me, Mk II might be one repeat visit too soon to Sony's smorgasbord. Besides, there's rumors about an amazing dessert cart on the way in the form of a new RX-series camera or A9, and it's always wise to leave some room for dessert.

In a way, I sort of miss the Leica way of doing things: Their buffet is smaller, and the service is more leisurely, so there's little danger in over-eating, and you're always grateful when something new arrives.
Well I'm not sure about over eating but it is certainly one of the most expensive restaurants I've ever eaten at with small but lovely portions.:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe I'm the only one on the planet but I actually like the small batteries. I carry 4 with with one in camera for a total of 5 and I never seem to run out actually I never been past 3 even on a big shoot. I like them small as I can always throw one extra in a pocket and go and when carry the 4 extra I put them in a small pouch and throw them in the camera bag pocket. Batteries at least for me have never been my issues with the A7 series.

Now been looking at the new grip and I would almost buy the camera just for that, for my hands I can tell already it would be a perfect fit indeed and i do like the shutter in front of the body and not on top. My biggest question to be answered is the 30 percent AF algorithm they are talking about enough for my PR needs and more important focus tracking thats what I really need, IBIS is nice and be happy to have it but not buying it for that. I hated these things on Canon and Nikon IS and VR settings as a lot of times I thought it made images less sharp over without it. Lets just say I have never been sold on it. First off Im a rock when it comes to handholding, I know exception to the rule but turning this stuff off when going to a tripod is a hassle. Maybe not exactly what I need but I like the direction Sony is taking. More important they listened to users, people wanted IBIS and better shutter and better fit for the hand. They got it now.

This won't be out until after a big shoot in January so I may just pass on it until I see the A9. This should float a lot of users boats though and if not for very specific needs I would jump on it. For current A7 users i think this is a nice upgrade in functionality.

As a working Pro I am giving Sony extremely high credit for the advanced specs on it as it lets me know how to make better buying decisions. I think we can all appreciate knowing whats coming in advance of hitting the streets. I know we would all love a year ahead road map but Ill take a couple months notice any day of the week. It makes my planning better and being stuck with the A and FE mount cameras I can certainly plan my purchases better without making a mistake.

iiiNelson

Maybe I'm the only one on the planet but I actually like the small batteries. I carry 4 with with one in camera for a total of 5 and I never seem to run out actually I never been past 3 even on a big shoot. I like them small as I can always throw one extra in a pocket and go and when carry the 4 extra I put them in a small pouch and throw them in the camera bag pocket. Batteries at least for me have never been my issues with the A7 series.

Now been looking at the new grip and I would almost buy the camera just for that, for my hands I can tell already it would be a perfect fit indeed and i do like the shutter in front of the body and not on top. My biggest question to be answered is the 30 percent AF algorithm they are talking about enough for my PR needs and more important focus tracking thats what I really need, IBIS is nice and be happy to have it but not buying it for that. I hated these things on Canon and Nikon IS and VR settings as a lot of times I thought it made images less sharp over without it. Lets just say I have never been sold on it. First off Im a rock when it comes to handholding, I know exception to the rule but turning this stuff off when going to a tripod is a hassle. Maybe not exactly what I need but I like the direction Sony is taking. More important they listened to users, people wanted IBIS and better shutter and better fit for the hand. They got it now.

This won't be out until after a big shoot in January so I may just pass on it until I see the A9. This should float a lot of users boats though and if not for very specific needs I would jump on it. For current A7 users i think this is a nice upgrade in functionality.

As a working Pro I am giving Sony extremely high credit for the advanced specs on it as it lets me know how to make better buying decisions. I think we can all appreciate knowing whats coming in advance of hitting the streets. I know we would all love a year ahead road map but Ill take a couple months notice any day of the week. It makes my planning better and being stuck with the A and FE mount cameras I can certainly plan my purchases better without making a mistake.
You're not the only one that likes that they are sticking with a battery. I bought 6 of them last year on sale during Black Friday/Cyber Monday at about $15 a pop on Amazon. Sure I would like longer life but I like that I don't have to mx and match batteries and chargers now between previously running a Leica and Sony system. These are the same batteries they used in the APS-C line so I already had four battery hanging around from my NEX-5 so it's really convenient for me. I usually average about 2-300 shots per battery but I also am selective in my shots. It's usually not a huge issue provided I leave the camera in airplane mode.

I will probably pass on the A7mk2 though because I'm waiting on the rumored A9 (unless the rumored A9 gets delayed further than expected.) I actually just paid LifePixel a few hours ago to convert my A7R into a Full Spectrum camera.

Steve P.

I never really got the idea of battery life on mirrorless cameras as being a problem. It's quicker and easier to swap out a battery after 300 shots than to rewind and load a roll of 35mm film after 36! These digital photography youngsters don't know they're born! :D

Guy Mancuso

Full spectrum sounds like fun. Im actually tempted to just go buy the A6000 for a trip. I loved that little thing. LOL

Guy Mancuso

I never really got the idea of battery life on mirrorless cameras as being a problem. It's quicker and easier to swap out a battery after 300 shots than to rewind and load a roll of 35mm film after 36! These digital photography youngsters don't know they're born! :D
RIGHT ON Brother. LOL

I should really test there abilities and throw 6 Hassy backs and 6 rolls of 120 film at them and give them 2 minutes to load them. You learn quick when your renting helicopters at 700 per hour. LOL

iiiNelson

Full spectrum sounds like fun. Im actually tempted to just go buy the A6000 for a trip. I loved that little thing. LOL
Yeah I thought about buying one last week while they were on sale for $1-200 off but I rather just sit tight and continue waiting for whatever Sony comes with. At the very least I know I can get the A7mk2 and hopefully the rumored A9 will be as great as we hope.

Godfrey

LOL! I'm hardly a youngster, been doing photography since 1968. ;-)

What's a pain in the butt isn't changing batteries in the field, but the maintenance: keeping track of and recharging all of them.

Changing a roll of film in the field is just as little a PITA, but there's no maintenance involved. You load, shoot, remove and dump the roll into the "time to process" bag; done.

Of course, in the greater scheme of things, it's just a minor issue. I only rarely shoot more than a 36 shot roll on a single outing, and I've been known to take two months to finish a roll of 12 going through the Hasselblad... When I was using them for assignments, I always had four backs loaded. ;-)

G

jlm

Workshop Member
keeping track is a PIA.

i ended up putting numbers on each battery so i can try and keep track of what one i just charged :)

but i have over 5 different cameras.

in my shop, same problem with cordless drills, for example, i have multiple batteries and chargers for several brands, must be over 30 different batteries. the head spins

Guy Mancuso

I number my batteries as well. What I am supposed to do is go 1-5 than reverse that order to get even usage. Thats what I am supposed to do. I never listen to anyone including myself. LOL

4season

What's a pain in the butt isn't changing batteries in the field, but the maintenance: keeping track of and recharging all of them.
Watson Duo charger has got to be one of my best photo buys in years:

Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 NP-FW50 Battery Plates D-4228 B&H

Adapter plates for different batteries are $1.99/ea! When was the last time you bought anything from B&H for under two bucks? So far I've found plates for every small camera battery that I've encountered, though I had to use Panasonic battery numbers to get a match for my Ricoh GR.

dandrewk

See if you can get a deal on one. You won't be sorry. I love my a6000, and IMHO it's the best small camera ever. It allowed me to sell my RX! My street photography setup is the a6000, E20mm/2.8 + remote. Very small and unobtrusive, it looks more like cheap P&S than a 24mpx APSC!

Be forewarned, though, you will be spoiled by the AF. It's a big step up from the a7/r.

dandrewk

re: batteries. Sony can't win.

Keeping it the same, complaints are the capacity is lacking.

Making it bigger, and the complaints are "OMG, it's bigger!" and "OMG, Sony is cashing in by forcing us to buy a whole new set of batteries and chargers!".