The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

iiiNelson

re: batteries. Sony can't win.

Keeping it the same, complaints are the capacity is lacking.

Making it bigger, and the complaints are "OMG, it's bigger!" and "OMG, Sony is cashing in by forcing us to buy a whole new set of batteries and chargers!".
My thoughts exactly. I actually wouldn't mind if they were higher capacity on the top of the line model but no need to do a battery redesign on the refresh - if anything it's a selling feature for previous owners who may upgrade.

The more I've gotten use to the A7 I can legitimately say it's as small as I'd want already for a camera body and I wouldn't mind a more solid heft to it. I love the flexibility of being able to mount any lens and yes it beats the Pelican case I'd need if I were on a photo trip going around the world with my old Canon. That being said if size AND the ability to use longer lenses were my main concerns I'd buy aMicro 4/3 and not look back. They have the BEST mirrorless system and a great stable of lenses from ultra wide to telephoto (14-600mm equivalents.)

pegelli

Re batteries, what would be smart is to design the camera for the higher capacity NP-FM500H from the older DSLR's (and I think A99/77), but then also make an adapter that converts the NP-FW50 into the form factor of the larger battery. Best of both worlds.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In a corner of my living room, there's a stack of relatively large storage boxes that I bought at IKEA. One for batteries, one for charges, one for charger cables, one for converters to different country standards, one for memory cards etc. With the OM-1, I changed the battery 3 or 4 times during the 30 years I used it and there was a stack of Velvia or Kodachrome in the fridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ

That Watson duo charger seems like a god idea, if I can remember to take the right insert with me. Numbering the batteries? No, I don't think my brain can handle that :loco:

UHDR

i think there is still room to optimise the battery in the current size. the current official sony F50 holds 1080mAh. but i have seen third party that offers way more (some obviously over claimed the peak performance). Comparing to batteries in phones. i think they can easily double the capacity. DTSE offers a 1950 mAh. Duracell also offers some higher capacity ones. i have the DTSE, while i cant claim it has double the battery life, i can safely say it last longer than the original sony.

Slingers

The battery I received with my NEX 7 in 2012 was 1080mAh but the batteries that came with the A7S were 1020mAh. I don't mind the small batteries. I would like it if the same battery could be used in the Sony flashes.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I like the specs and revised ergonomics of the A7II personally (to the extent we can know them), and the IBIS is really a welcome addition, but the non-silent shutter is a no-go for me, after the X100s. I know they are completely different cameras, but the leaf shutter, ND filter on a button, and fill flash for street images (at ƒ2 or 2.8) and silent shutter for when I simply have to have that (shooting on silent retreats, for example) has really spoiled me. I know Sony makes an A7s, but I just can't see the additional cost value.

I will wait to see what the A9 looks like, or for a later iteration of the A7 that has a silent shutter. Until I got the X100s, I had no idea of how important that would be to me in daily use.

tn1krr

I number my batteries as well. What I am supposed to do is go 1-5 than reverse that order to get even usage. Thats what I am supposed to do. I never listen to anyone including myself. LOL
Same here. I got 5 batteries for 2 E Mount bodies and batteries are numbered 1-5 so that I could user them sequentially. In real world I've noticed that I just pick closest/easiest to access battery that has number smaller than 6.

Steve P.

I like the specs and revised ergonomics of the A7II personally (to the extent we can know them), and the IBIS is really a welcome addition, but the non-silent shutter is a no-go for me,
Truth to tell I more or less assumed after the negative feedback on shutter noise that Sony had addressed this with the A7s and that going forward they would apply at least some sort of quieter shutter option to all new models. If this is not the case I'll be truly dismayed. Does anyone know if the Mk. ii shutter is any quieter than the Mk. i?

JoelM

Something I thought was cool, was when Sony had camcorder batteries, there was a 2 position switch which displayed either white or red. I used red to mean exhausted and white was fresh. It was small, easy to use, and quite clever. Would be nice if they could do that again.

Joel

algrove

Watson Duo charger has got to be one of my best photo buys in years:

Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 NP-FW50 Battery Plates D-4228 B&H

Adapter plates for different batteries are $1.99/ea! When was the last time you bought anything from B&H for under two bucks? So far I've found plates for every small camera battery that I've encountered, though I had to use Panasonic battery numbers to get a match for my Ricoh GR.
You are right. A great dual charger that handles every battery I own from MF to RX1 except for Leica, that I know of.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Something I thought was cool, was when Sony had camcorder batteries, there was a 2 position switch which displayed either white or red. I used red to mean exhausted and white was fresh. It was small, easy to use, and quite clever. Would be nice if they could do that again.

Joel
Joel, that would certainly help. I must have seven or eight Sony batteries, since we've been going with them since the NEX-5, NEX-7, and now two A bodies. My problem with numbering them is I can never READ them in the dark when I need to change 'em! I just reach into my bag, and whatever comes out goes in...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If I was a A7 shooter I would be replacing my current A7. I have no doubts about about it. I just need to decide after this hits the streets and Im done a big gig if this would replace my A77II. When the A7r replacement comes I will be all over that one too. The grip alone has me at the get go.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If I was a A7 shooter I would be replacing my current A7. I have no doubts about about it. I just need to decide after this hits the streets and Im done a big gig if this would replace my A77II. When the A7r replacement comes I will be all over that one too. The grip alone has me at the get go.
If I were an A7 shooter and upgrading, I would sell my A7 right away. The A7 II is a great upgrade, with regards to ergonomics as well as the IBIS. The price of the original camera will drop like a stone once the new model hits the market.

tn1krr

If I were an A7 shooter and upgrading, I would sell my A7 right away. The A7 II is a great upgrade, with regards to ergonomics as well as the IBIS. The price of the original camera will drop like a stone once the new model hits the market.
At least over here this has already happened. A7 II will retail about 1800 Eur and slightly used A7 can be bought for 750-850 Eur. A sizeable pile of A7 bodies hit used market within hours when specs of A77 II came out.

turtle

I might add a 7 II in future (or more likely the 9) but feel 3 bodies is the optimum (wide, medium an tele), so won't be selling my A7 or A7R for now. The IBIS would be handy nfor my aerial work, but like others, will probably await a higher end model with improved AF and overall package. If I were buying in now, or looking for a second body, I'd be stoked and all over that A7 II.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have not seen many A7 bodies for sale over at Fred's or here yet—but I think Jorgen's right: the process will drop quickly once the A7IIs are reviewed (and when the new model's shutter sound is known!).

pegelli

I'll be waiting for the a7sII (assuming it has IBIS, great high iso capabilities and the silent shutter)