The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

dandrewk

It's quite possible that the camera will feel lighter in hand with the larger grip as you'll hve more surface to hold onto. It's even possible that maybe the weight with a lens is more evenly distributed in hand causing for an improved balance in feel.
I agree, but those improved ergonomics mean nothing with the added weight and space in a camera bag.

Minor quibbles, though, and as I said, it's a worthwhile tradeoff. My main concern is with the autofocus, especially in low light. Here again, the a6000 is much improved over the a7. It's silly to not include functionality that already exists in future iterations of a higher level camera.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Does anyone know if the a7II will have the same quiet a7 shutter or the noisy a7r shutter? (Looking at the posts above it seems some think there will be a vibration issue.)

iiiNelson

Does anyone know if the a7II will have the same quiet a7 shutter or the noisy a7r shutter? (Looking at the posts above it seems some think there will be a vibration issue.)
I don't think anyone could say for sure but I'd guess it's the same shutter setup as the A7 since the flash sync speed is the same.

V

Vivek

Some of us were attracted to the "a" series for its compactness. The a7m2 is 183 grams heavier, a 44% increase. Make no mistake, that weight gain is very significant, as is the increase in the overall girth.
Hope some who are enthusiastic about the IBIS will already take note of this (significant increase in size and weight) while ordering one. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Me too - but perhaps they just try different ones until one takes off? . . . this one (FE) seems to have taken off so I imagine they'll stick with it?

Only Time Will Tell.
I remember reading an interview with some Sony Head Guru in a hifi magazine a few decades ago. Might have been The head guru actually. The only thing I remember from that interview is how he described Sony's product strategy. It was something like: Mainly, we are just fooling around, experimenting, and sometimes someone has a good idea, and if it's really good, we start making it. Most ideas never made it into production and even a large portion of those that did, ultimately failed. This was the way, again according to how I remember that interview, the Walkman was created and the reason why, for me, Walkman has always been the definition of Sony. A simple product that was developed into a zillion more or less advanced versions, but which in the end proved to be an evolutionary dead end. Interestingly, it was a dead end because Sony refused to accept MP3, the technology that replaced it. So the Walkman wasn't replaced by the Digiman or Miniman but by the iPod, in spite of Sony being the inventor of the Minidisc, a product that could have, but didn't.

While Nikon have made more or less the same product, the SLR camera, for over 50 years. constantly upgrading, updating and refining it, Sony gave up on that technology after a few attempts. Then came the NEX and the SLT and now the full frame NEX, all cameras that work well, but also cameras that are completely different in concept and nature. Sometimes, different concepts can be suitable for several existing customer groups, but often, they leave their customers behind when they jump to the next technology, although there is still a solid base for whatever came before it. If it had been developed.

The A7 II is possibly the best camera in the world right now, but there are already rumours floating around about a Sony MF mirrorless. That will be even better, and it will have new everything :lecture:

k-hawinkler

I believe there is still ample opportunity for innovation in photographic gear. What I hope for is that Sony produces a well rounded complete FE camera system that is a joy to use for an extended period of time while they continue to innovate in parallel to this system.

Steve P.

but which in the end proved to be an evolutionary dead end. Interestingly, it was a dead end because Sony refused to accept MP3, the technology that replaced it. So the Walkman wasn't replaced by the Digiman or Miniman but by the iPod, in spite of Sony being the inventor of the Minidisc, a product that could have, but didn't.
A similar argument can be made today with regard to Nikon and Canon's attitude towards mirrorless. With each new iteration from the likes of Sony et al., we see an increasing amount of clear blue water opening up between camera companies. One wonders how much longer the Big Two can afford to wait before finally getting in the game in a serious way.

fotografz

Hope some who are enthusiastic about the IBIS will already take note of this (significant increase in size and weight) while ordering one. :)
Sounds perfect to me. Weighs less than a Leica M, but adds just enough heft to balance better with some of my favorite fast aperture optics.

IBIS and a bit more weight will help with lower light hand-held work IMO.

Is the extra "Girth" due to a deeper grip? That would be welcome also.

- Marc

jonoslack

Because the pixel density for a 24MP FF sensor is not high enough to avoid aliasing/false detail in a lot of shooting situations.
HI There
I really don't think this is the case - there are plenty of 24mp sensors with no AA filter.

HI Bill
the A7 shutter is just as loud as the A7r shutter unless you turn on Electronic First Curtain on the A7, which makes it shorter rather than quieter. The A7s has a full electronic shutter option (silent). It would be nice if the A7ii had this - but I imagine it will be just like the A7, ie same shutter with an EFC option.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A similar argument can be made today with regard to Nikon and Canon's attitude towards mirrorless. With each new iteration from the likes of Sony et al., we see an increasing amount of clear blue water opening up between camera companies. One wonders how much longer the Big Two can afford to wait before finally getting in the game in a serious way.
Not really. With MP3, you could suddenly carry thousands of cassettes in your pocket. Mirrorless cameras use the same sensors and the same storage media as DSLR cameras. You can make the bodies much smaller, but if you compare two compact pro cameras, like the D750 and the GH4, there isn't really that much difference. The Nikon is 50% heavier, and some lenses, particularly long ones, are larger, but for those who don't travel much and don't shoot much video, the advantages are debatable.

The A7 is smaller of course, but ergonomics suffer, and lenses aren't particularly compact. Rather the opposite actually, if compared to something like a Pentax Limited lens. Add to that a shutter that is actually noisier than many DSLR varieties, and it's easy to understand those who choose to stay with "ancient" technology. I wouldn't be surprised if the D750 outsells the total of all A7 varieties by a healthy margin.

Steve P.

Jorgen, I believe my point to be valid in the context I originally framed it. I don't disagree with your points on recording media, weight or dimensions, but I see that as outside my intended context which referred only to the tendency of companies to protect their established technologies in the face of new ones, often to their long term detriment. One wonders how long Nikon and Canon might continue to dabble in mirrorless before embracing it wholeheartedly or whether one or both may find that they have waited too long and "missed the boat."

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lot of debate here but sounds damn good to me. It may just push me enough to go full FE and sell my A77II

Annna T

Not really. With MP3, you could suddenly carry thousands of cassettes in your pocket. Mirrorless cameras use the same sensors and the same storage media as DSLR cameras. You can make the bodies much smaller, but if you compare two compact pro cameras, like the D750 and the GH4, there isn't really that much difference. The Nikon is 50% heavier, and some lenses, particularly long ones, are larger, but for those who don't travel much and don't shoot much video, the advantages are debatable.

The A7 is smaller of course, but ergonomics suffer, and lenses aren't particularly compact. Rather the opposite actually, if compared to something like a Pentax Limited lens. Add to that a shutter that is actually noisier than many DSLR varieties, and it's easy to understand those who choose to stay with "ancient" technology. I wouldn't be surprised if the D750 outsells the total of all A7 varieties by a healthy margin.
What makes all the difference IMO is the mirrorless and EVF aspect, not the size. I love the EVF and think that this has introduced a new paradigm : mirrorless bodies with their EVF are to digital DSLRs what DSLRs have been to SLRs. The fact that being mirrorless they can get smaller and lighter than DSLRs is the cherry on the cake.

When it comes to size, having both an A7r and an EM5, I think that for small size the MFT format makes more sense because it is allowing smaller lenses and all together a much lighter system than the A7 series. When they manage to fix AF, mirrorless bodies will sweep DSLRs. It isn't a question of storage capacity, but that of the convenience of live view and EVF.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What makes all the difference IMO is the mirrorless and EVF aspect, not the size. I love the EVF and think that this has introduced a new paradigm : mirrorless bodies with their EVF are to digital DSLRs what DSLRs have been to SLRs. The fact that being mirrorless they can get smaller and lighter than DSLRs is the cherry on the cake.

When it comes to size, having both an A7r and an EM5, I think that for small size the MFT format makes more sense because it is allowing smaller lenses and all together a much lighter system than the A7 series. When they manage to fix AF, mirrorless bodies will sweep DSLRs. It isn't a question of storage capacity, but that of the convenience of live view and EVF.
I mostly find the EVF superior to an OVF, but while there are situations where an EVF doesn't work very well (sports photography is probably the most important), there are none except for video where an OVF can't be used.

4season

*Yawn* Another remarkable game-changing, bar-raising product from Sony?

(tossing it into the heap alongside the RX1, RX100, NEX7 and "old" A7)

Like a lot of you, I'm scratching my head over these so-called "upgrades" which do nothing but enhance image quality and functionality while doing nothing to address real problems that we face, such as scratched LCD windows, to say nothing about the lack of choice in body colors and cladding.

pegelli

*Yawn* Another remarkable game-changing, bar-raising product from Sony?

(tossing it into the heap alongside the RX1, RX100, NEX7 and "old" A7)

Like a lot of you, I'm scratching my head over these so-called "upgrades" which do nothing but enhance image quality and functionality while doing nothing to address real problems that we face, such as scratched LCD windows, to say nothing about the lack of choice in body colors and cladding.
Just wait for the Hasselblad version, I'm sure that will cater to all your needs :ROTFL:

turtle

With the heavier weight, will it use larger batteries? A larger grip alone (and perhaps even IBIS) surely does not account for this. More solid build all round? We are talking three Mars bars here.

Re the weight, for general use it won't make much difference, but for street photographers using wrist straps it surely will. That said, these days there are much better options out there compared to Leica M or anything remotely in the 600g category IMO.

I too am surprised they did not give us the A600 AF. Perhaps they are not just worried about hitting DSLR sales but also the future top end model. 30% faster may end up being only under 'optimal conditions' rather than there all the time. We'll find out soon enough. Still, for me, IBIS is a huge bonus; however, they will need to provide smaller RAW options on the Alpha 9 if it has the fancy AF and 50 MP sensor.

What about the Alpha 8? Is the A7 II actually the base model, with a high resolution 9 coming and perhaps a speed orientated sibling to sit alongside it in the 'pro' category? That would make sense to me....