The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

V

Vivek

At least over here this has already happened. A7 II will retail about 1800 Eur and slightly used A7 can be bought for 750-850 Eur. A sizeable pile of A7 bodies hit used market within hours when specs of A77 II came out.
Given that it (A7) has been available from Asia for <1000 Euros for several months now, the used market prices are not that great for a buyer. I think it will come down further. A stellar camera, no doubt.

iiiNelson

Given that it (A7) has been available from Asia for <1000 Euros for several months now, the used market prices are not that great for a buyer. I think it will come down further. A stellar camera, no doubt.
Maybe they'll do a trade in promo for previous owners who want to upgrade. It seems a bit backwards that this isn't being shipped in time for the largest consumer timeframe in the Western World.

gero

I would like an A7 II R monochrome. No aa filter, no color filter (and no color cast problems with wide angle symmetrical designs like the hologon ) and a lot of megapixels with image stabilization.

Ultimate sensibility, resolution,portability and versatility.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Estimated arrival in US is now Dec 9th and pre-orders are now being taken by Sony. Amazon and B&H . Thanks to Mark Esposito for the heads up. I ordered it at Amazon. Now need to decide if it can do my runway gig in January.

Guy Mancuso

I rented the ZA 70-200 2.8 this morning at lensrentals for my show. Folks the promo code right now is blackfriday and you get 25 percent off rentals. I also rented the 16-35 next week for 7 days at a final cost of 80 dollars. Great way to test a lens before spending real money.

I would rent the 70-200 2.8 anyway as it is faster so in this case I would use my Sony 4 adapter.

I'm very tempted to go through on the A7II as I think it can track fast enough

iiiNelson

It's possible. I had the 70-200/2.8 mk I. It's a great lens and I hear the newer one is even better. It's one of a few lenses I regret selling. The FE version is competent (probably better for what I'd need) when I tried it in store but it's nowhere as good optically as the A-mount versions.

jlm

Workshop Member
from Guy:
"I'm very tempted to go through on the A7II as I think it can track fast enough"

my version:
"I'm not very tempted to go through on the A7II as I can't think fast enough (to keep up with Sony)

Guy Mancuso

Great one John. My personal issue and it's really not a shooting issue is having the 2 mounts. I don't mind the lenses until Sony gets up to speed on the FE but two different bodies is bugging me and some of the limits on lenses like I cant really use my Sigma 18-35 on the A7r

iiiNelson

Great one John. My personal issue and it's really not a shooting issue is having the 2 mounts. I don't mind the lenses until Sony gets up to speed on the FE but two different bodies is bugging me and some of the limits on lenses like I cant really use my Sigma 18-35 on the A7r
Yeah I was a bit surprised that the Sigma 18-35/1.8 wasn't a FF lens when Sigma announced it. Seems like an amazing lens already with few negatives outside the fact it doesn't provide FF coverage.

Guy Mancuso

It's actually a superior zoom to anything I have used. It's really good. I'll be putting that whole system up soon for sale just need to get past a shoot next week.

johnnygoesdigital

My personal issue and it's really not a shooting issue is having the 2 mounts.

I'm going to wait until there's at least one fast FE prime over 80mm before coming back to Sony. I love the shooting experience of the A7 and the zoom range is certainly covered, but just can't get used to adapters because SSM lenses really draw battery on the EA-3/4 and they're not weather resistant - something that's really useful for me.

mesposito

Estimated arrival in US is now Dec 9th and pre-orders are now being taken by Sony. Amazon and B&H . Thanks to Mark Esposito for the heads up. I ordered it at Amazon. Now need to decide if it can do my runway gig in January.
You're welcome. I put my order in as well. 24mp on a FF sensor seems like the sweet spot (to me) for everything but large print landscape. It'll be interesting to see how well the new IBIS works.

What a brilliant move it was though. The one system that completely encourages BYOL (Bring your own Lens) goes a step further to make those lenses work even better. That is an extremely customer-friendly thing to do. Even if it's only a bridge until they have move native FE lenses, it's good for us and Sony.

dandrewk

After some thought, I went ahead and pre-ordered on BH. I had considered waiting on the a9, but my guess is that will be in the low/mid $2k range. Since the 24mpx has been plenty for me, not much point in spending the extra $$$.

V

Vivek

More than that, i would be interested to know the Asian street prices. It looks like the EU version will have a gold lens mount.:eek:

Guy Mancuso

Reading the PDF file on this cam. Some highlights

16-bit image processing and 14-bit RAW output
Area-specific noise reduction
Pro-quality XAVC S format
Full-frame expression without the bulk
Picture Profile
Clean HDMI output
S-Log2 gamma setting
Time code / User bit
16-bit image processing and 14-bit RAW output help
preserve maximum detail and produce images of the
highest quality with rich tonal gradations. The 14-bit RAW
(Sony ARW) format ensures optimal quality for later image
adjustment (via Image Data Converter or other software).

When your subject is moving fast, you
can beautifully capture the decisive
moment with sharp, well-exposed results
via 5fps continuous AF/AE shooting.
A dramatically improved algorithm
accurately predicts subject movement
so you can steadfastly track the subject
with 1.5x more accurate performance*
when shooting continuously. 117 focal
plane phase-detection AF points ensure
accurate tracking over a wide area
for up to 77 frames (JPEG Fine L) at 5fps.
Moreover, a continuous AF Display lets
you confirm which AF point is active.

Sony AF captures your subject and
doesn’t let go
FAST
AF captures your subject
without fail
Autofocusing is amazingly fast. Just
point, shoot and let Sony’s sophisticated
Fast Hybrid AF system instantly
capture your fast-moving subject with
razor-sharp clarity. Speedy phase-detection
AF, highly accurate contrastdetection
AF and high-speed BIONZ
X image processing contribute to
outstanding AF performance, while a
more advanced algorithm enhances
the accuracy of subject detection,
leading to optimization of lens drive
movement that results in a 30%
faster AF speed*.

Guy Mancuso

Lenses currently under development
(Targeted for spring 2015 release)
Distagon T* FE 35mm F1.4 ZA
FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G
FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3
FE 28mm F2
16mm FE Fisheye Converter (for FE 28mm F2)
21mm FE Ultra Wide Converter (for FE 28mm F2)