The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm on a jet for the next 5 hours but I'm not shutting anything down. Opposing views are healthy educational tools as long as it is polite to others that's all I care about. Different viewpoints are the slice of life. Now I have to be nice my wife is sitting next to me . The baseball bat is in the overhead .

Oh honey did I tell you I ordered another new camera. :grin:

Michiel Schierbeek

jonoslack; I suppose you're trying to imply Vivek that I'm some kind of a Leica shill. which is uncharitable to say the least - I don't make money from my site said:
:confused: Oh that is a surprise to me; I always assumed that you had a close relationship with Leica and that they send you to China to take those wonderfull shots to stimulate other people to take interest in Leica.
I find nothing wrong with that as long as I know that. It is a nice job to do, for a great brand. There are more people on this forum with ties to companys.
We are perfectly capable to filter our own conclusions from all the information we can get.

But since that is not the case I wonder if I would be willing to spend so much time for a brand with no reimbursement whatsoever.
I'll quess so if I was really in love with their products.

( Not that it is my ambition because I am in no way a good systematic tester an don't pretend to have the technical expertise either, besides trying to take good pictures)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I suppose you're trying to imply Vivek that I'm some kind of a Leica shill. which is uncharitable to say the least - I don't make money from my site, my articles, my pictures or testing cameras (however occasionally I try and drum up some money for charity)
Your words, not mine!

Like Michael said, the pattern is clear- buy a Sony, sell it saying this is wrong and that is wrong. Never sell a Leica M because it is everything that it ought to be, even if the sensor is prone to go to smithereenes. :)

Some of us passionately use our tools to do photography and learn how to make of our tools to the best. It is not all that great to be hearing how great a tiny format camera is or an yesteryear's DSLR has improved while discussing a new camera from Sony. You do not see Sony users trolling about in Canon forum. It is quite simple to see and understand.

rayyan

there is one thing missing from this thread. What about someone, like me, who lives in a region where the market for buying and selling camera equipment is very underdeveloped. Buying the latest, and selling it, or selling a camera of the previous generation.

I like to make photographs. Just like most of you do..hopefully. Either I have to order from abroad..entailing all the warranty issues that involves, or wait for years for equipment to arrive here that is already ' obsolete '. I use that word very guardedly.

Sony is a manufacturer that does not cater to my region. No issues for me. It must not be in their economic interests. So I am of no significance to them.

But it is my money. I shall never ever buy a digital interchangeable lens camera system from them. They are costly for what they are. Their camera support is non-existent and their sales staff are camera sytem wise illiterate.

We have superb Nikon support, Canon support, marvellous Fuji dealers and Leica
Handles all my issues from Solms including courier post.

But most important of all, I found that the greatest and latest cam system I could afford really did never improve my photography one iota. Except make it only slightly easy for me to use.

Age and eyesight have been the only reasons I have bought into the Df ( weight )cf. the Nikon d700 with the Fuji for auto-focus.

I shall await to see the improvements in photography in this forum with the whiz bang new Sony..whatever it is called.

I am more of a travel slut than a camera one.

p.s. I sincerely believe that even today my D700 can run rings around any Sony mirrorless System being only limited by the photog who uses it.

V

Vivek

there is one thing missing from this thread. What about someone, like me, who lives in a region where the market for buying and selling camera equipment is very underdeveloped. Buying the latest, and selling it, or selling a camera of the previous generation.

I like to make photographs. Just like most of you do..hopefully. Either I have to order from abroad..entailing all the warranty issues that involves, or wait for years for equipment to arrive here that is already ' obsolete '. I use that word very guardedly.

Sony is a manufacturer that does not cater to my region. No issues for me. It must not be in their economic interests. So I am of no significance to them.

But it is my money. I shall never ever buy a digital interchangeable lens camera system from them. They are costly for what they are. Their camera support is non-existent and their sales staff are camera sytem wise illiterate.

We have superb Nikon support, Canon support, marvellous Fuji dealers and Leica
Handles all my issues from Solms including courier post.

But most important of all, I found that the greatest and latest cam system I could afford really did never improve my photography one iota. Except make it only slightly easy for me to use.

Age and eyesight have been the only reasons I have bought into the Df ( weight )cf. the Nikon d700 with the Fuji for auto-focus.

I am more of a travel slut than a camera one.

p.s. I sincerely believe that even today my D700 can run rings around any Sony System being only limited by the photog who uses it.

Very well, Rayyan, be active as much you can in Leica, Fuji and Nikon fora since these suit you nicely and rejoice!

I shall await to see the improvements in photography in this forum with the whiz bang new Sony..whatever it is called.
What the heck one is supposed to make of this sort of blanket statements? :confused:

rayyan

Very well, Rayyan, be active as much you can in Leica, Fuji and Nikon fora since these suit you nicely and rejoice!

What the heck one is supposed to make of this sort of blanket statements? :confused:
Vivek, please do not tell me which fora I can or cannot participate in. I do own a Sony RX100. I have never requested similar of you..ever.

Make of it what you like. I think my statement is simple and succinct enough.:D

And Jorgen is not a troll. But one of the most valuable and respected members of this forum.

p.s. ' what the heck one is supposed.......' Slip is showing Vivek..should be ' what the heck is one supposed.....' But then again English is a difficult Language.:D

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I'm glad your convinced - thank you.
Again, your words, not mine. :)

It is one thing diss a camera for what it may or may not do and another to summarily dismiss a whole bunch who use them. I believe we agree on that. I do not and never said that anyone should refrain from participating in any fora just to be clear. :)

rayyan

Your words not mine. :)

Again, your words, not mine. :)

........... I do not and never said that anyone should refrain from participating in any fora just to be clear. :)

jonoslack

Now that all that is out of the way, can we please get back on topic?
Absolutely K-H - quite right - and in that spirit I've removed my irrelevant posts.

Personally I'm looking forward to using the A7ii with my Leica R lenses - but also with the longer M lenses, to which end I've also bought a V-ME helicoid adapter (which should be a lot of fun with the 75 APO 'cron).
I've had a kind offer to have one brought back from the US when it ships on the 9th, but I think I'll be patient and wait until it arrives here in the UK (17th?).

rayyan

Not to be pedantic, however it is ' dialogue ' in British English.

' Dialog ' ....well...:D

Mercifully, all my kids who are medical doctors would cringe if I spelt pneumonia
Incorrectly.

But back to Sony.

k-hawinkler

Absolutely K-H - quite right - and in that spirit I've removed my irrelevant posts.

Personally I'm looking forward to using the A7ii with my Leica R lenses - but also with the longer M lenses, to which end I've also bought a V-ME helicoid adapter (which should be a lot of fun with the 75 APO 'cron).
I've had a kind offer to have one brought back from the US when it ships on the 9th, but I think I'll be patient and wait until it arrives here in the UK (17th?).

Thanks Jono.
Is this http://www.amazon.com/Voigtlander-Adapter-VM-Mount-E-Mount-Camera/dp/B00I4BD3WO the adapter?
Or is there a newer model?
Does it work for FF?
TIA.

jonoslack

Thanks Jono.
Is this Amazon.com : Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter for VM-Mount Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera : Camera & Photo the adapter?
Or is there a newer model?
Does it work for FF?
TIA.
Hi There
I think this is it - but I'm not certain whether they've made two versions (I'm sure that Vivek would know) - the correct version is designed for full frame though - it's outrageously expensive in the UK - I'm being brought one back from the US by a kind forum member.

Edit:
read down to the product description (looks good):
The Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter allows you to use a VM-mount lens on a Sony E-Mount camera as well as shortens the minimum focusing distance of the lens. This allows you to get closer to your subject when shooting. The adapter also features an infinity lock button for securing your focus at infinity. Additionally, this adapter is able to cover a full frame 24 x 36mm sensor.

V

Vivek

AA Summicron 75/2 works very nicely on Sony FF cameras (attached with a Hawk Peng V2.5 adapter, lot cheaper than the Cosina adapter though the Cosina version- only one- is absolutely superbly made).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
A7r, Summicron 75/2, Amsterdam.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Hacked A7, Summicron 75/2, Amsterdam Ultraviolet capture, very low shutter speed

The A7 II (IBIS) would have helped me with the 2nd picture.

On a side note, I like Spelt (spelt - Wiktionary) though I might have spelled certain words incorrectly according to some. :)