The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

My Voigtlander Close focus adaptor certainly doesn't vignette to any degree with my 135 apo=telyt, 90 Elmarit-M or Canon LTM 85/1.8. Have tested them all so I'm not sure what is going on with other peoples
I can add tele elmar 135 with lens and adapter at closest focus distance. No vignetting.

turtle

I turn off image review with all my digital cameras, so that I can concentrate on the business of taking new images, not worrying about old ones. I review images later on. Never had EVF issues with the A7 and A7R, but do dislike the laggy vague release of the A7R. Fine for static stuff, but with moving subjects the decisive moment had better come with an advance warning flag and last at least a second :D

iiiNelson

The A7 seems to work differently from (and better than) the GH3 in this respect. In that case, I may be incorrect with regards to the Sony. What was the shutter speed on these? What are you seeing in the viewfinder between the shots in a burst?

It must be said also that I have shot pans successfully with the Panasonics, but only short bursts and rarely at longer shutter speeds (like 1/60s or longer).
Wait so what I'm gathering is that you haven't actually used or even tried any of the A7 series cameras before yet you were arguing against its merits based on hearsay!?! I really do respect you a lot as a long standing member and a great contributor of overall very useful dialog but in this specific topic of the Sony A7 cameras I think I have to recuse myself of every one of your opinions (positive or negative) as none of it was coming from direct personal user experience if this is in fact the case that you have zero experience with the cameras.

I'm all for the spreading and discussing of information about potential issues. It's a pet peeve of mine when people spread anecdotal rumors not based on their own personal experiences. Leads to many credibility issues for people who just don't know any better. This is why the shutter shock talk and crosstalk topics always go nowhere. Some cameras get hit much harder than others the D800 and many MF cameras had these topics come up too but there seems to be more rational thought in finding/spreading workarounds amongst those who are full-time pros) and rarely do people bring up the workarounds in A7r conversations so that it's usually not an issue for the vast majority. The same could be said for M-mount lenses on both the A7 and A7r - some work well with both some don't. Depends on your lens kit.

This is why the Internet can be such a dangerous place and it's important to weed through what's fact v. subjective opinion. We don't all shoot the same or have the same kits so it's best to rent or buy based on YOUR usage.

I believe it was proven that the A7 series (even without the improvements in AF that the A7II brings) is in fact capable of even shooting auto racing in the hands of one that is capable. I have plenty of shots taken with a Sony A7r and lenses much longer than 50mm that prove it is possible to take sharp pictures without shutter shock affecting the output. As they say a picture is worth 1000 words and Show Performance just wrote a short essay.

V

Vivek

Tre, If you get into this sort of details, there is no fun. :(

Tracking power of a D8100 ought to be demonstrated with an old screw driver driven lens. Otherwise, people may mistake you for lacking in your technique.

BTW, watch out for the spelling bee!:D You typed, "dialog", in English!:shocked:

iiiNelson

I'm an American and Texan born therefore we are in the habit of not caring about the differences between British English, American English, or Texas dialect for that matter.

The most important takeaway regarding being a Texans is that you refer to sodas properly as Coke's and never as Pop or God forbid you're one of those Pepsi people. Me personally, I using don't drink carbonated beverages without Sour Mash Whisky or Canadian Blended Whisky mixed in it. Otherwise is juice, coffee, or tea for me.

P.S. We don't put milk in our tea. Actually we would probably argue that nothing belongs in tea beyond sugar, ice, and lemons.

jonoslack

This is why the Internet can be such a dangerous place and it's important to weed through what's fact v. subjective opinion. We don't all shoot the same or have the same kits so it's best to rent or buy based on YOUR usage.
So True Tre

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm an American and Texan born therefore we are in the habit of not caring about the differences between British English, American English, or Texas dialect for that matter.

The most important takeaway regarding being a Texans is that you refer to sodas properly as Coke's and never as Pop or God forbid you're one of those Pepsi people. Me personally, I using don't drink carbonated beverages without Sour Mash Whisky or Canadian Blended Whisky mixed in it. Otherwise is juice, coffee, or tea for me.

P.S. We don't put milk in our tea. Actually we would probably argue that nothing belongs in tea beyond sugar, ice, and lemons.
Coke is coke everything else don't count. Hate Pepsi. Lol

monza

Deep in the heart of Texas, the question always is:

"What kind of Coke do you want?"

The correct answer: "Dr. Pepper."*

As far as Pepsi: "That dog don't hunt."

*Dr. Pepper originated in Waco

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tracking power of a D8100 ought to be demonstrated with an old screw driver driven lens.
Except for the 15 years old 80-200 AF-S, screwdriver lenses is what I use for tracking. They are cheap but work great mechanically as well as optically. $500 for a mint condition 300mm f/4 that can also be used as a weapon is a bargain in my book :)

iiiNelson

Deep in the heart of Texas, the question always is:

"What kind of Coke do you want?"

The correct answer: "Dr. Pepper."*

As far as Pepsi: "That dog don't hunt."

*Dr. Pepper originated in Waco
I believe the joke goes two people walk into a bar in Texas and the bartender asks what kind of Coke do you want? One guy says Dr. Pepper and the other guy says Mr. Pibb... One guy walks out the bar and the other is dead.

V

Vivek

Except for the 15 years old 80-200 AF-S, screwdriver lenses is what I use for tracking. They are cheap but work great mechanically as well as optically. $500 for a mint condition 300mm f/4 that can also be used as a weapon is a bargain in my book :)

OT:

The 300/4 AFS is a much better lens in every aspect. Try it to find out. The 300/2.8 AFS VR is even better. The differences will show very clearly on Sony's 36mp sensor. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
OT:

The 300/4 AFS is a much better lens in every aspect. Try it to find out. The 300/2.8 AFS VR is even better. The differences will show very clearly on Sony's 36mp sensor. :)
The AF-S is better but more than twice as expensive and I like the warmer tones of the AF. The biggest disadvantage with the AF is that it sucks with a TC, but this is rather OT, isn't it, except that the AF-S would work fine on an A7/r/s/II as you point out. The AF isn't fun to focus manually. They both have aperture rings.

Godfrey

LOL! Last thing I expected in a thread about a camera is a Texan dissertation on beverages...

Anyway, Steve Huff has gotten his A7II review unit and has done his usual video gushing moment:
The Sony A7II – First Look and Video! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

The new finish on the body makes it look more heavy-duty. Styling-wise, Sony is never gonna take home any markers on the A7 series from me. I do get just a wee bit tired of hearing someone say, "It feels so much more solid than ..." over and over again.

Can't wait to see the "in depth" review. News at eleven... ]'-)

I expect it's a serviceable lump. Buy one, put it to use.

G

rayyan

I find it interesting that some here maintain that only if one has used a particular
brand of camera, can one bring something meaningful to the discussion.

I can agree with that up to a point. I tend to read what one has written. More importantly, I tend to see the credentials of the one that has penned an opinion.

Years of using cameras, with work for all to see, does impart a bit of knowledge and experience to the one that has produced photographic work of some merit.

It is like telling that one cannot trust a medical doctor to prescribe appropriate treatment just because he/she has not suffered from such a disease or ailment.

I tend to value experience and credibility and believe it can add something useful
to a discussion within the context of that subject.

p.s tea is always drunk on its own. Lemonade is another drink as is the lemon/lime drink. That is why there are various varieties of tea, to savour the full flavour of the product. To appreciate the palate of tea, one drinks it as tea...unadulterated. I do not refer here to the waste product bearing a yellow label and used commonly in the ' cuppa '.

I guess it is like enjoying the different flavours of wine. I am not an expert in wine. But I
have observed some of my British friends drooling over what must be good wine.

Tea...I can speak about it similarly.

iiiNelson

Rayyan the tea comment was mostly a joke but like many good jokes there's a bit of truth in it. Most of what's "proper" is derived from some archaic point of view.

I think a waiter in Germany reacted best when a colleague of mine tried to "pair wine" with menu items to which the waiter seemed totally confused by the notion of not just drinking whatever you like how you like. Essentially for such trivial things as a beverage why are there rules beyond - if you like it then drink it.

I agree that general education of a topic is fine and definitely welcomed until you begin speaking from an experienced point of view in a specific nature. When it becomes clear that there's quite a bit of ignorance on the subject then you should preface it with a statement of "from what I've read, understand, or heard." Spreading misinformation knowingly or unknowingly can hurt the forum on some level as a reliable source of information and achieve the complete opposite of the intention of what this forum (from what I understand the goal to be.) What I understand about the purpose of the forum is to have open yet civil dialogue (that "dialogue" for Vivek who must like that spelling better... LOL) of our passion for photography AND to educate/share useful experiences (positive/negative.)

I personally believe this forum does an impeccable job of that and I don't want to come off as attacking Jorgen specifically (if you took it that way Jorgen then I do sincerely apologize for not communicating that aspect effectively) and I certainly want him to continue to contribute challenging points of view (not that I'd have any say in that at all.) They they may be questions or concerns others on the fence have as well.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Rayyan the tea comment was mostly a joke but like many good jokes there's a bit of truth in it. Most of what's "proper" is derived from some archaic point of view.

I think a waiter in Germany reacted best when a colleague of mine tried to "pair wine" with menu items to which the waiter seemed totally confused by the notion of not just drinking whatever you like how you like. Essentially for such trivial things as a beverage why are there rules beyond - if you like it then drink it.

I agree that general education of a topic is fine and definitely welcomed until you begin speaking from an experienced point of view in a specific nature. When it becomes clear that there's quite a bit of ignorance on the subject then you should preface it with a statement of "from what I've read, understand, or heard." Spreading misinformation knowingly or unknowingly can hurt the forum on some level as a reliable source of information and achieve the complete opposite of the intention of what this forum (from what I understand the goal to be.) What I understand about the purpose of the forum is to have open yet civil dialogue (that "dialogue" for Vivek who must like that spelling better... LOL) of our passion for photography AND to educate/share useful experiences (positive/negative.)

I personally believe this forum does an impeccable job of that and I don't want to come off as attacking Jorgen specifically (if you took it that way Jorgen then I do sincerely apologize for not communicating that aspect effectively) and I certainly want him to continue to contribute challenging points of view (not that I'd have any say in that at all.) They they may be questions or concerns others on the fence have as well.
I am (re) reading Chaucer now and that English would not be understood by many. :ROTFL:

[Chaucer and not Saucer and the name has nothing to do with tea. :) ]

jonoslack

I am (re) reading Chaucer now and that English would not be understood by many. :ROTFL:

excellent Vivek. in English or Dutch?

...... and Tre, that was an excellent post.

iiiNelson

Yeah I we had to do the Canterbury deal in high school... It was a blur in hindsight and obviously my English teacher was way more into it than myself. I prefer nonfiction, foreign policy, geopolitics, and photography related education for my free reading. I'm weird like that...