The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

V

Vivek

excellent Vivek. in English or Dutch?

...... and Tre, that was an excellent post.
Pre Samuel Johnson English (original version). Might as well be another language. :)

In fact, quite a few words there show a lot of similarities to Dutch!

iiiNelson

excellent Vivek. in English or Dutch?

...... and Tre, that was an excellent post.
Thanks Jono.

I try to be as respectful to all of the kind strangers that I've grown to view as the "bar regulars" around here (even though I can be bit edgy in real life without initially realizing a lot of the time.) Some call it youth, inexperience, lacking in some wisdom, straight craziness, etc. I can accept my own imperfection but I always lean towards the idea being properly educated because I was once that person seeking an answer beyond get a Canon/Nikon without anyone explaining why I should (being someone that has zero formal photography education.) What I do know has come from reading, watching web instruction, and good old personal experience (read: trial/error.) Whether in the form of video, a classroom, or a book I lookout it all as education and there's a responsibility in doing it properly.

I have learned so much of what I know about photography from this very forum over the last 5 or 6 years so I'm very thankful this place exists. I look forward to the sharing of ideas and the occasional, yet almost always, respectful banter. It's been a journey from starting with a Canon Digital Rebel, moving to the G1, then eventually going to the antithesis of a DSLR in the form of a Leica M, and currently having my needs filled with Sony FE bodies.

Michiel Schierbeek

I forgot about what camera we were talking but it is all educational for sure.

I do realize again that Dutch is a language with a relativly short history like most European languages.

I learned that the word camera did not originated from the Latin, namely camera obscura.
Probably the Romans got the word from cultures before theirs. It would not surprise me, because the world is build by information of others.
Also how many words we got from arabic culture and not to forget ciphers, algebra and mathematics. I am very gratefull for all that. :angel:

I learned what Coke to drink in Texas, if I ever could get it through my troat.
(I can recommend to everyone to abandon coffee and drink tea instead and preferably herbal tea.)
But only when the time or occasion doesn't ask for a good glass of wine or a good glass of Irish whisky :lecture:

BTW I do like to shoot a Sony A7r occasionally :D

V

Vivek

If it isn't too confusing (well it isn't as far romoved as some of the topics covered), I might as well add this here (sorry, I do not know how to use the advanced versions of camerasize.com :eek:):

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Hacked A7, Hacked Sony E 24/1.8, f2.2, ISO6400, 1/200s, Ultraviolet capture, AF tracked and panned

AF and tracking works fine even in extreme low light (UV capture requires ~7-8 stops more exposure time than visible light capture). The Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 is usable for UV-A captures. The 24/1.8 with its rear baffle removed and the front shaved almost covers (but not quite) the FF. :chug:

BTW, Michiel, any idea on the origins of the name, Fototoetsel? It sounds confusingly Dutch to me. :eek:

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I forgot about what camera we were talking but it is all educational for sure.

I do realize again that Dutch is a language with a relativly short history like most European languages.

I learned that the word camera did not originated from the Latin, namely camera obscura.
Probably the Romans got the word from cultures before theirs. It would not surprise me, because the world is build by information of others.
Also how many words we got from arabic culture and not to forget ciphers, algebra and mathematics. I am very gratefull for all that. :angel:

I learned what Coke to drink in Texas, if I ever could get it through my troat.
(I can recommend to everyone to abandon coffee and drink tea instead and preferably herbal tea.)
But only when the time or occasion doesn't ask for a good glass of wine or a good glass of Irish whisky :lecture:

BTW I do like to shoot a Sony A7r occasionally :D
I don't know I've become quite fond of single origin coffee - especially many of the ones from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Indonesia (must be something about Lake Victoria that aids in producing great coffee.) The best coffee is grown in cooler temperate and slightly damp environments.

I've also become quite fond of much of the Japanese Whisky that I've tried - namely The Yamasaki 18 year and The Hibiki 12 year - both are by The Suntory. That being said much of the European Whisky (or Whiskey depending on if you're asking an Irishman or Scottish fellow) is excellent of course. At the chagrin of many of my transatlantic brethren I do like a good Small Batch Bourbon as well having a soon to be fiancé that's a Kentucky native and all.

I like my A7/A7R a lot and I am staying away from most of the user accounts of A7II outside of knowing what to expect from an A9 body.

MikalWGrass

A bunch of Renaissance Men, grammarians, and excellent photographers all wrapped into one Sony forum. Who would have thought!!!!

In all seriousness, I am enjoying the discussions as long as they remain on the respectful side.

Michiel Schierbeek

Vivek; BTW said:
Fototoetsel[/I]? It sounds confusingly Dutch to me. :eek:
Fototoestel = photo apparatus (apparatus comes straight from Latin)
I would not know were the word "toestel" comes from, probably a Germanistic word but I do know that foto/photo comes from the Greek word phōs, which means light and (photo)graphie from the greek word graphia which means writing
So photography means literarly: writing with light. Isn't that beautiful!

My dear late father (a poet) explaned it all to me in this beautiful poem.
If you give me time I could try to give it a decent translation, although I doubt if I am capable.
(some Dutch readers migt enjoy it)

kijk
de mens maakt zich kenbaar
verheft zich in zijn beeld
vertaalt afstand en ruimte
in de greep van oog en hand
en schrijft met licht

kijk
zij kijken zich de ogen uit
leggen hun oren op straat
zien alles en staan verbaasd
beschrijven hun verbazing
met licht
de inventarisatie begint
de hersenen vullen zich
de gaten raken vol
de ogen weerkaatsen de volheid
en omschrijven hun waarheid
met licht

phōs graphia
in phōs licht
fotograferen
schrijven met licht

Bert Schierbeek

Well the last 4 sentences are simple;

phōs graphia
in phōs light
to photograph
writing with light

V

Vivek

Michiel, Thank you! :)

Your father has beautifully described street photography, among other things!

I will share it with a couple of my dear ones here. :)

Thanks a bunch! :)

jlm

Workshop Member
actually spent a year studying Chaucer and another one Middle English as a lit major way back when:

from the prologue to the Canterbury tales:

"Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
(That slepen al the nyght with open eye)
So priketh hem Nature in hir corages
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages."

not so tough to figure out and a nice bit o' poetry

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As founding father proper Engilsh is lofty goal but that leaves this Italian from Jersey boy out. Soooooooo that will never work. ROTFLMAO

So just a reminder where all here to have fun. Don't get hung up on the details

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
OT:
I always had a great interest in the historical context of how language was and is used.

It is an error of judgement to think that there is no class - in the sense of Karl Marx - related inhernet attitude to language, especially pompous language.

Obfuscation for example is a technique that is commonly used by the social "elite", the oligarchs, tyrants, religious leaders of all dominations, legal profession, politicians, banksters, twisted academics, you name them.

Do not forget that reading books was not allowed to the masses for centuries and censorship of knowledge was and is even more so today in the information age a weapon of choice.

Speaking of weapons, language itself can constitute a weapon, very much so. In general, language is a distinctive feature of the human mind to convey information and communicate.

In the 18th century there were no schools in the southern states of America that admitted black children to its free public schools. Black literacy would prove a serious threat to the slavery system. So laws were passed that forbid slaves to learn how to read or write, and in addition making it a serious crime for others to teach them.

Therefore,
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of North Carolina, and it is hereby enacted by the authority of the same, That any free person, who shall hereafter teach, or attempt to teach, any slave within the State to read or write, the use of figures excepted, or shall give or sell to such slave or slaves any books or pamphlets, shall be liable to indictment in any court of record in this State having jurisdiction thereof, and upon conviction, shall, at the discretion of the court, if a white man or woman, be fined not less than one hundred dollars, nor more than two hundred dollars, or imprisoned; and if a free person of color, shall be fined, imprisoned, or whipped, at the discretion of the court, not exceeding thirty nine lashes, nor less than twenty lashes.
II. Be it further enacted, That if any slave shall hereafter teach, or attempt to teach, any other slave to read or write, the use of figures excepted, he or she may be carried before any justice of the peace, and on conviction thereof, shall be sentenced to receive thirty nine lashes on his or her bare back.
III. Be it further enacted, That the judges of the Superior Courts and the justices of the County Courts shall give this act in charge to the grand juries of their respective counties.

Source: "Act Passed by the General Assembly of the State of North Carolina at the Session of 1830—1831" (Raleigh: 1831).
Today there are roughly 35 million people on the planet held as slaves.

2014 Global Slavery Index - Walk Free Foundation - Global Slavery Index 2014

As for the class-conscious British society, upper class language (posh) certainly exists and still is expressed in bizarre class based shibboleths.

Fanks for nuffink!;)
Best
G

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Georg; shocking; but it doesn't surprise me.
Even around me in Amsterdam there are children-maids/aupairs from all over the world living with familys in their homes and working for peanuts, 7 days a week.

BTW It is time that the A7II landed because we are straying of, although very informative and interesting. :)

retow

OT:
I always had a great interest in the historical context of how language was and is used.

It is an error of judgement to think that there is no class - in the sense of Karl Marx - related inhernet attitude to language, especially pompous language.

Obfuscation for example is a technique that is commonly used by the social "elite", the oligarchs, tyrants, religious leaders of all dominations, legal profession, politicians, banksters, twisted academics, you name them.

Do not forget that reading books was not allowed to the masses for centuries and censorship of knowledge was and is even more so today in the information age a weapon of choice.

Speaking of weapons, language itself can constitute a weapon, very much so. In general, language is a distinctive feature of the human mind to convey information and communicate.

In the 18th century there were no schools in the southern states of America that admitted black children to its free public schools. Black literacy would prove a serious threat to the slavery system. So laws were passed that forbid slaves to learn how to read or write, and in addition making it a serious crime for others to teach them.

Today there are roughly 35 million people on the planet held as slaves.

2014 Global Slavery Index - Walk Free Foundation - Global Slavery Index 2014

As for the class-conscious British society, upper class language (posh) certainly exists and still is expressed in bizarre class based shibboleths.

Fanks for nuffink!;)
Best
G
Mmhh... a discussion about language and sort of a political message? Most of the stuff people rave about in this and other fora is made in parts of the world with questionable workers treatment. Just saying.