The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

Rawfa

Decided to create this topic to focus on Sony's new camera, the A7II

Sony Global - Digital Imaging ? ?7 II

My 2 cents? At this point I'd be happier if Sony had released an LA-EAE5 with the A77II's AF speed...as e-mount lenses are few, slow and overpriced. Actually, I'd be happier with a serious NEX7 replacement or/and an A99II.

Also, the VG-C2EM makes me think that the current grip for the A7/A7R/A7S won't fit...just happened to buy TWO of them. How does Sony expect people to invest in an expensive system that keeps changing stuff like this all the time?

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I think the grip is significantly larger than the one on the A7 so a new grip "had" to be made. FWIW the A7 and A77II use the same grip so they don't always switch it up. I think this is a good addition to the line up and brings many improvements based off feedback of what most people wanted regarding the A7. I'll reserve final decision for when I actually handle one but maybeI'll sell my A7 and grip towards one.

It sounds like the A-mount may be a better fit for your paying jobs and the FE mount is great for your personal projects from how I think you shoot.

jonoslack

Well, I'm definitely in again on this one - hopefully this time I'll keep it.
The IBIS makes it a perfect candidate for use with R lenses (and of course any other longer lenses). 24mp suits me well.
a definite definite (very exciting).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure if it is my A77II replacement but it does say 30 percent faster AF. For me that just maybe enough. I want to get to all FE mount for sure. Now if this is on level with A77II I'll do it. I shot the A77II last night and for PR work its dang hard to beat. I want the A9 obviously later on but this just maybe the ticket for those types of jobs.i I can still through it in crop mode and get length and have enough file to work with. If its 1700 dollars I'm very tempted.

iiiNelson

Well, I'm definitely in again on this one - hopefully this time I'll keep it.
The IBIS makes it a perfect candidate for use with R lenses (and of course any other longer lenses). 24mp suits me well.
a definite definite (very exciting).
Yeah... I guess I was very wrong in telling you not to hold your breath over IBIS. Hopefully it works as well as expected. I have large hands and I'm personally considering it for the improved ergonomics if nothing else.

Guy Mancuso

Here is one key factor if it has enough high ISO than the 16-35 maybe a perfect candidate for it.

Guy Mancuso

Yeah... I guess I was very wrong in telling you not to hold your breath over IBIS. Hopefully it works as well as expected. I have large hands and I'm personally considering it for the improved ergonomics if nothing else.
Grip for sure on this body

iiiNelson

Not sure if it is my A77II replacement but it does say 30 percent faster AF. For me that just maybe enough. I want to get to all FE mount for sure. Now if this is on level with A77II I'll do it. I shot the A77II last night and for PR work its dang hard to beat. I want the A9 obviously later on but this just maybe the ticket for those types of jobs.i I can still through it in crop mode and get length and have enough file to work with. If its 1700 dollars I'm very tempted.
I agree but I'm waiting until everything is announced to make a decision to if I want this or if there will be multiple A9 bodies that include these features and more. I think amore robust body and more accurate AF is at the top of my list personally.

The speed of 4 or 5 FPS is fine for me already. I just want them to be accurate when I do use AF. The A7r is already sharp enough using lenses up to 200mm (maybe longer but that's all I tested.)

V

Vivek

Yup... I have grips on both my A7 and A7r for improved ergonomics... They pretty much live there 95% of the time.
I have 1 grip (hardly used) and 1 L Plate from China (15 Euros shipped, superbly crafted) that lives on one of the cams all the time. The L plate does it for me when it comes to ergonomics.

Guy Mancuso

Does come down a lot to comfort level and size of your hands. The extra battery does not hurt the cause either

V

Vivek

For the size of my hands even the battery grip will not do but my long fingers are nimble. :)

iiiNelson

I have 1 grip (hardly used) and 1 L Plate from China (15 Euros shipped, superbly crafted) that lives on one of the cams all the time. The L plate does it for me when it comes to ergonomics.
Which L plate are you using from China?

Yes ergonomically I like a reasonable level of "small" but not too small. I'm 6'3" and about 225lbs or so but have the hand sizeof someone who's probably 3 or 4" taller. I could palm a NCAA college basketball when I was 11 and a NBA sized one when I was 13.

I think it's hard for camera makers to make a camera that will appeal to all. I think the A7 series are the first cameras I've been truly excited about since the Leica M9/MM for the fact that they are so flexible and relatively affordable for most. I think the thing that would help many in the long run is being able to store in camera profiles/data for adapted lenses since so many people buy them for that reason.

Guy Mancuso

This sounds very interesting for sure even more important. Sony is not afraid to grow and improve. The rest of the industry is eating day old bread and Sony is making a new recipe.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Having reaad the news, I must say I am impressed with Sony's commitment to listen to their users, which is evident to me with the A7II evolution at hand.

I think this might also be very well a sign of what's to come with the A9, perhaps. I read somewhere that a Sony manager from Japan stated the A-mount to be further developed in sort of a more expensive Pro-Version. I am very curious to see what emerges in Q1/2015 in that respect.

Too bad that it is probably not economically viable for Sony to offer a trade in for A7 users, I could imagine many would consider that an option, hence I can see A7's to hit the used market pretty soon.

Very cool developments altogether!

iiiNelson

This sounds very interesting for sure even more important. Sony is not afraid to grow and improve. The rest of the industry is eating day old bread and Sony is making a new recipe.
People can say what they want about the longevity of the old and established brands but I will give Sony credit in their aggressive nature. They are getting the lenses out like never before and they are updating products based on the feedback of the enduser whether it's a pro or con. It's an exciting thing andI'm still hoping for a Monochrome FE-mount body.

tn1krr

This looks very much like IBIS Focal Length selection screen for legacy lenses. Legacy lens users rejoice :)

jonoslack

Well, I guess this was the other reason for getting involved with Olympus, as it's pretty obvious it's their excellent IBIS system.

For me I don't need to wait for the A9 - weather sealing EFC and IBIS were what I needed, and 24mp is also just fine. I'm also pleased about the magnesium front plate.

Very excited!