The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A6000 performance with Sony FE lenses

turtle

Considering the very low price of the A6000 I have been considering getting one, to give a body I can interchange with my FF A7 and A7R, but which serves two purposes:

1. I can use it with the 70-200G to get an effective 300mm, so more reach.
2. I can use it with the new 16-35 f4 OSS to cover the 24-50mm equivalent range that the 24-70mm f4 OSS would serve on full frame.... a lens I have declined to buy based on too many 24-28mm performance issues.

It would therefore give me a very useful workaround to 1) an extender and 2) a mid-range zoom. The A6000 is half the price at the moment of the 24-70mm F4 alone....

I am guessing that with the 35mm and 55mm FE lenses, the A6000's tight pixel density is fine, as these lenses perform so well, but what about with the 70-200 f4 OSS. I have the lens and mine is great on FF, but I have no idea what the effect of the same 24 mp being squeezed into reduced APS-C real estate would have.

Any thoughts?

tn1krr

Considering the very low price of the A6000 I have been considering getting one, to give a body I can interchange with my FF A7 and A7R, but which serves two purposes:

2. I can use it with the new 16-35 f4 OSS to cover the 24-50mm equivalent range that the 24-70mm f4 OSS would serve on full frame.... a lens I have declined to buy based on too many 24-28mm performance issues.

It would therefore give me a very useful workaround to 1) an extender and 2) a mid-range zoom. The A6000 is half the price at the moment of the 24-70mm F4 alone....

I am guessing that with the 35mm and 55mm FE lenses, the A6000's tight pixel density is fine, as these lenses perform so well, but what about with the 70-200 f4 OSS. I have the lens and mine is great on FF, but I have no idea what the effect of the same 24 mp being squeezed into reduced APS-C real estate would have.

Any thoughts?
I've been quite happy with my FE 70-200 on A6000, the focus speed on decent light is very fast on the A6000, makes my A7R feel quite sluggish. A guy in a local forum posted a nice A6000 + FE 70-200/4 OSS birding gallery, these are among the very best pics I've seen with the combo, link below

Sony A6000 lintuja

pegelli

thanks for that link tn1krr, brilliant bird shots with lots of humour and excellent compositions to overcome a short focal length when shooting birds that are too far away to fill the frame. :thumbup:

turtle

Thanks, great stuff and really enjoyed the bird gallery.

I am guessing that the A6000 has more even performance with many FE lenses, due to taking a centre slice out of the image circle, but perhaps not quite as great on centre (if splitting hairs) as with the A7 due to the higher pixel density compared even to the A7R (and far higher than the A7 therefore)... and some lenses may not being able to lay down that sort of high frequency detail.

Would it be fair to say that at modest ISO (say up to 400 or 800), IQ is nigh on indistinguishable from the A7?

dandrewk

Any thoughts?
I purchased the a6000 for the exact reason as your #1, along with its superior AF and unobtrusiveness for street photography. I have been more than happy with the performance. It's so small and inexpensive, you can find a small slot in your camera bag and not even know it's there.

My BIF shots have never been better, and that extra reach is absolutely critical. Big, big difference between 200mm and 300mm.

I had always been curious if the crop factor would be better/worse than shooting on a full frame camera and then cropping to match the coverage. So I did a comparison at 200mm (effective 300mm) , the FE70-200 on an A7 and on the a6000, cropping in post to match:

Compared FE70-200G on A6000 & A7: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It seemed pretty clear the crop factor a6000 won out over the a7.

Mark Muse

I bought an a6000 some time ago for 'street' photography. Been using the FE 55/1.8 and 35/2.8 with really excellent results.

I also picked up a 45/2 Zeiss Planar G and a 90/2.8 Zeiss Sonnar G (Fotodiox adapters) that are also terrific on it, and an absolute steal if you can deal with the funky coupled focusing... not at all Zeiss smooth, but functional.

I have tried the FE 70-200 on it. Perhaps the lens I tried was not the best copy. I was not impressed with the results. Not bad really, just not up to my perhaps unreasonable expectations.

I am really looking forward to a version of the camera with IBS.

Has anyone used any wide RF lenses on this body?