The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A77II AF compatibility

Rawfa

Guys, can those of you who are using the A77II confirm if it makes use of ALL 79 AF points with ANY lens?

Some people told me yes, but now I've read the information bellow on the A77II's manual:

"While the camera uses a maximum of 79 focus points for the autofocus
functions, the number of focus points will be limited when the following
lenses are attached.
SAL75300, SAL1118, SAL55200, SAL1855,
SAL18552, SAL55200-2, SAL30M28, SAL55300 = 61 points"

I have a minolta 28mm 1.8, a minolta 17-35mm 2.8, a sigma 85mm 1.4 and a bunch of other lenses that I want to be able to use with the A77II....IF they can use the A77II's 79 AF points. I would be very upset if I bought this camera specifically for it's speed just to find out most of my glass it's not compatible.

iiiNelson

Rawfa

When I tried my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 on the A99 I used to have I didn't find the AF particularly fast and I think it was because it was not compatible with the A99's full AF points. Do you think there will be a difference on the A77II even if it doesn't use all it's AF points?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Won't really know but my bet is a lot will work. If not than you may need to update some glass to get all the AF points. They will all certainly fit the mount.