The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm for Sony A7S

scho

What about the Leica R elmarit? Anyone tried it?
I have the V1 28mm Elmarit R and it produces soft edges and corners on the A7r. My tiny 28mm M-Rokkor is in perfect condition (no white spot disease) and is also the best performing 28mm in my arsenal. Sharp across the frame with no smeary edges and corners. Contrast is a bit on the low side but I like the look.

Barry Haines

Jyrki, I own the Contax Zeiss 28mm f/2 Distagon and love it on my A7S.

This is a lens well worth your time to consider also when making your choice. I've got a short Video using this lens, and more image samples here, for those interested:

Contax Zeiss 28mm f2 A7S Test - The Camera Forum®
The one stop faster Hollywood version definitely has merit over my F2.8 version.
A pretty hard to find lens nowadays...It renders rather nicely wide open.

jhe1971

Wow. Thanks a a lot guys! That gave me plenty to think about. M-Rokkor might obviously be something to consider as well.

Hollywood Distagon would be nice, but quite big even without an adapter and not so cheap either -there is one for sale at Ebay Italy for 660 euros which is the cheapest offer I found.

Maybe -as some of you suggested- I should hold on and wait for the native E-mount option. I didn't know it's going to be released in march already and that's why I've been looking for other options. I just feel so limited without a 28mm lens:) Maybe I should get some real cheap manual lens (Zuiko 28 F3.5 maybe) and use it until the Sony arrives.

Anyways, many thanks to you all!

With kind regards, Jyrki

Wow. Thanks a a lot guys! That gave me plenty to think about. M-Rokkor might obviously be something to consider as well.

Hollywood Distagon would be nice, but quite big even without an adapter and not so cheap either -there is one for sale at Ebay Italy for 660 euros which is the cheapest offer I found.

Maybe -as some of you suggested- I should hold on and wait for the native E-mount option. I didn't know it's going to be released in march already and that's why I've been looking for other options. I just feel so limited without a 28mm lens:) Maybe I should get some real cheap manual lens (Zuiko 28 F3.5 maybe) and use it until the Sony arrives.

Anyways, many thanks to you all!

With kind regards, Jyrki
Not sure if it caught your attention but the Minolta AF 28/2 is really excellent and gives you fast AF with the LAEA adapter. I'm doubtful whether the new Sony is going to render as beautifully as the Minolta does. I'm putting mine up on the sale block only because I decided to go smaller with the Contax G 28mm on TechArt. I just can't justify two 28mm lenses.

f 10

...., but I have zero experience of Zuiko lenses.

I would love to hear an opinion from someone who owns or have owned both these lenses. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Of course there's the Sony Vario-Tessar 16-35mm but right now it's too expensive option for me.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Jyrki
I own 3 Zuiko lenses.
2.0/24mm, 2.8/28mm and 3.5/135mm
All are good, but don´t have a modern look.
The focus adjustment is very short, too short for me personally.
But, it's a matter of personal taste.
I Like it more like my Nocitlux or 1,4 / 75mm

-> Open each pic (a7r) in a own tab for higher resolution.
The 24mm is open very soft, but has a nice bokeh.

Stopped down to f8

The 28mm is good, cheap and compact. I use it not so often.

The 135 is very compact and the imaging performance is similar to Leica M 2,8 / 135mm.

jhe1971

Hi and happy new year from the OP!

After a long consideration I decided to purchase a Zuiko 28mm F2 and have been very happy with the lens so far. It's not tack sharp wide open (with a little glow also) but I like the look WO and it is plenty sharp after stopping down.

While searching information about the Zuiko 28 I stumbled upon a review of the Zuiko 100mm F2. After reading more and seeing sample pictures taken with the lens I just had to buy it and what a lens it is!

Plenty sharp WO with just beautiful bokeh -It's the best portrait lens I have ever had. Well the 75mm summilux M was magical also and I still regret selling it, but I like the 100mm focal length better for my style of shooting. Zuiko also balances perfectly with A7S.

Best regards, Jyrki

benroy

Subscriber Member
Minolta Maxxum AF 28/2...superb lens! Want a terrific triumvirate: 28/2, 35/2 and 100/2...all Minolta Maxxum AF lenses.

Roy Benson

jhe1971

Minolta Maxxum AF 28/2...superb lens! Want a terrific triumvirate: 28/2, 35/2 and 100/2...all Minolta Maxxum AF lenses.

Roy Benson
Hi. Yes, I'm sure those minolta lenses are great, but for an autofocus 28mm I decided to wait for a native E-mount Sony lens, which should be released in march. Zuiko 28mm was also a much cheaper option because with Minolta I should have bought a Sony LAEA3 adapter also.

BR, Jyrki

scho

how is the contax 28mm G?
It is a biogon design and at least my copies perform poorly in the corners and edges on both my A7r and A7II. I have both the original that was used on a TechArt AF adapter and a modified M mount version used with the Phigment adapter. Very sharp on center but smeary edges and corners. Too bad because I love the small size.

Hausen

I have the the Leica R PC 28 2.8SA that I used on my A7r and will soon use on the A7II once I get it. Superb lens and as a PC lens has shift function.

uhoh7

Quite a few 28s are decent when focus is closer. Very very few perform as they should at infinity with distant objects to compare center to edge. A7s is better, but seems still to have some issues this way.

These issues made me buy an M9, which I love, and now I plan to send in my A7 to have the sensor stack replaced with a thinner one.

jonoslack

While searching information about the Zuiko 28 I stumbled upon a review of the Zuiko 100mm F2. After reading more and seeing sample pictures taken with the lens I just had to buy it and what a lens it is!

Plenty sharp WO with just beautiful bokeh -It's the best portrait lens I have ever had. Well the 75mm summilux M was magical also and I still regret selling it, but I like the 100mm focal length better for my style of shooting. Zuiko also balances perfectly with A7S.

Best regards, Jyrki
Hi Jyrki
Did you get it on uk ebay? I was bidding on one, but was outbid at the last moment £562.50 . . . if it was you, then I'm sorry to have pushed the price up, but regret having missed it (there aren't than many about!)

I'm still looking for a nice one.

all the best

jhe1971

Hi Jyrki
Did you get it on uk ebay? I was bidding on one, but was outbid at the last moment £562.50 . . . if it was you, then I'm sorry to have pushed the price up, but regret having missed it (there aren't than many about!)

I'm still looking for a nice one.

all the best
Hi Jono, sorry you were outbid but no, it wasn't me:) I bought mine from Ebay but it was a buy it now -item form Holland. I hope you will find a nice one, it is a lens worth waiting for!

Best regards, Jyrki

Michiel Schierbeek

While waiting for the new Sony 28/2 lens, which shouldn't be to expensive, you could try the Konica AR 28/3.5. It is not fast but very sharp, great colors and not expensive.
The last 7 element variation is considered to be the best variation of the Hexanon AR 28 mm / F3.5. A metal lens just before they went to the plastic 5 element version.

V

Vivek

While waiting for the new Sony 28/2 lens, which shouldn't be to expensive, you could try the Konica AR 28/3.5. It is not fast but very sharp, great colors and not expensive.
The last 7 element variation is considered to be the best variation of the Hexanon AR 28 mm / F3.5. A metal lens just before they went to the plastic 5 element version.
How do i find out if it is the 7 element, Michiel (apart from trying count the reflections)? Serial numbers? I have a 28/3.5 Konica (55mm filter thread) somewhere.