The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm for Sony A7S

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I haven't read the posts above here, but my experiences with the Nikkor 28mm f/2.0 have been great lately, even wide open (I use it on a D810). The OM Zuiko 28mm f/2.8 is also good, as is the f/3.5 version.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Bill. Which lens is this? How does it perform?

:worthless:
It's a Mamiya 28 mm f4.5. medium format lens I normally use on my Phase One camera. But as I have a Fotodiox adapter I can use any of my MF lenses on the A7 series cameras.

The good news is that on the a7 you're only using the centre "sweet spot", but the bad news is that as it's an electronic aperture, you can only use it wide open! In practice I don't use it on the a7 because I find the FE 24-70 OSS perfectly adequate at 28 mm for my purposes. I just posted the pic for fun.

However, I do use the Mamiya 150 mm f2.8 on the a7 and the results are stellar - it's my sharpest MF lens and using the centre alone makes it flawless.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill

ryc

One of the best 28mm you could buy today is still the Nikon 28mm 2.8 AIS. Superb lens which is hard to beat. Even Zeiss can't touch it!

jhe1971

Jyrki, why is CZ 28/2 ZF no longer on your radar? It's great performer right from f/2.0.
Hi. Yes, it is a great lens (I had it at some point with my D700), but as the Sony native mount 28mm is to be released soon I didn't want to spend so much money on a manual 28mm and therefore bought the Zuiko 28mm 2.0.

Best regards, Jyrki

jhe1971

How do you like so far? Is it as good as 28/2 ZF wide open detail/color/bokeh wise?
Hi. Obviously I can't do a head to head comparison, but as far as I remember, Zeiss was a bit sharper wide open and also had a higher contrast. Bokeh is imho nice with both lenses.

Best regards, Jyrki