The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pre ordered A7 II

V

Vivek

The price differential (EU vs Asia) concerns me and I will not buy one just for that reason. Sony ought to be given a (however tiny) message in Euros. :)

These are not in the "model a month" NEX price category.

pegelli

Don't forget the prices in the US are always advertized w/o sales tax while in Europe the advertised prices include VAT. So the Euro price of 1799 (which is what CameraNu in the Netherlands is offering) is equivalent to $ 1843 w/o tax. Still about 120 € more expensive on this side of the ocean, but not so dramatic in my opinion.

V

Vivek

Pegelli, I stopped the US vs EU price comparisons. I do a Japan vs EU prices when the gear is all made in Thailand. 700 Euros is a huge difference (Asia/delivered vs Sony.nl; all net) for an A7s, for example. The outfits in Asia are selling them at a profit!

jonoslack

Interesting that at first it went on sale in the UK at £1299, and was quickly changed to £1599. (ie just about okay to irritatingly expensive). My dealer says that he will honour the original price. We'll see!

pegelli

Thanks Vivek, then you can even import economically straight from there.
With 6.8% import duty, 21% VAT and 30 € for paperwork (typical for Asia shipments) you have it here for about 1650 €.

Other option is to wait a half year, then we'll see those prices here I think (but then again Asia will have dropped also)

V

Vivek

I have developed a system to put my own price tags for a camera/gear given the specs and how the prices decline when price fixing (by Sony outfits in the EU) is removed. This means no purchase.

Upgraded LAE5 is a must so we can use all those AF points. If that was available I would use more ZA glass than FE.

I just bought the 50 1.4 ZA and it is a lot like the 85 but better wide open. If this was out I would buy back the 135 1.8 but I'm really after the old Minolta 200 2.8 high speed lens. I had that lens and it is a beauty.
I've got the Minolta AF HS APO 200mm sitting here on my desk. What a little gem it is. I use it to shoot my son's lacrosse and football games and it always delivers at half the volume and weight of a modern 70-200mm. Will be nice to add IBIS to it as well.

Viramati

Interesting that at first it went on sale in the UK at £1299, and was quickly changed to £1599. (ie just about okay to irritatingly expensive). My dealer says that he will honour the original price. We'll see!
Following you earlier advice I paid a small deposit with LCE and have mine fixed at £1299.99 which was a good thing as I now see they have raised the purchase price to £1599 as well

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This really is nothing new. It happens sometimes in production. Different problem but we have seen extra oil or lubricants on several bodies from different OEMs hitting the sensor. Nikon had major issues with the D600. My Leica's M8s had the same problem.

In this case send in for cleaning and describe what's going on.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay everyone update as we start getting orders shipped. We are getting close now. Hell I may just buy 2 of them. Lol

Just kidding

Also keep a eye out for the vertical grip as it is listed nowhere as of yet and some members really need one. ME

dandrewk

Looks like all pre-orders have been shifted two days. BH Photo now showing Dec. 11. I'm not sure if that's the ship date for new orders. It could be those that pre-ordered earlier will get the shipments a couple of days earlier.

BH does not show ship dates on their order tracking. Those who ordered from the Sony store, or even Amazon - does your order tracking specify a ship date?

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I actually got to play with an A7II yesterday when my friend Paul Gero opened his early shipment. A very impressive camera, from just a first look. Feels good, better fit, finish, and overall responsive feeling vs. the earlier model. The IBIS works a treat, but the biggest impressive changes are the greatly enhanced autofocus and the XAVC-S and S-log2 for video. Absolutely worth the upgrade in my opinion!

Sony A7II: First Look at the "Duce" - The Camera Forum®

jfirneno

I actually got to play with an A7II yesterday when my friend Paul Gero opened his early shipment. A very impressive camera, from just a first look. Feels good, better fit, finish, and overall responsive feeling vs. the earlier model. The IBIS works a treat, but the biggest impressive changes are the greatly enhanced autofocus and the XAVC-S and S-log2 for video. Absolutely worth the upgrade in my opinion!

Sony A7II: First Look at the "Duce" - The Camera Forum®
Chuck:
I know this is a silly question after such a short use but can you compare its autofocus speed and accuracy to anything else?

Regards,
John

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Chuck:
I know this is a silly question after such a short use but can you compare its autofocus speed and accuracy to anything else?

Regards,
John
No, and thank God. :p
The autofocus improvement is a huge difference. I don't own an A6000, only A7R & A7S, but having used one a few times I couldn't tell much of a difference with the A7II from an A6000, it is that much better. It is far superior to either of mine. I also like the way the focus points all light up and dance around highlighting where it is focused like the A6000 does. Still doesn't autofocus like a Nikon D4, but so much better than my A7R or A7S. I was very pleased, and placed my pre-order with a 16-35mm f/4.

Last edited: