The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A77 ll for portrait work?

jpaulmoore

Hello all,
I am considering the A 77 ll with the 16-50 lens for portrait work. What are your thoughts with this combination? What strobe/flash do you use? I basically do landscapes and architecture work and use either my Sony A7r with Metabones adapter for Canon or my back up Canon 1Ds Mark III for that work but I am getting an ever increasing demand for portrait work and want to have a system for that. I like to keep my other cameras set up for the landscape and architecture work. The A 77 ll with the 16-50 lens and grip for $1500 is such a great price now that I am tempted.
Thanks,
J. Paul

iiiNelson

I'm sure that combo would work but it's probably somewhat limiting on the focal length for portraits. I'd say a 70-200 would probably work better. I had the first version of the A77 and I've taken a few natural light portraits just using a reflector. The A7r will probably be a better camera for portraits to be honest so I'd use the $1500 on portrait lenses.