The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s 4K tethering?

sjg284

So I am strongly considering A7s both for it's low light abilities and it's video ability.
There are only a few devices on the market today that allow 4K recording off the A7s from what I can tell, and cost about as much as the camera.

Has anyone tried tethering to a PC/Mac, particularly via an HDMI->USB3 device, say something like this - INOGENI 4K2USB3 4K HDMI to USB 3.0 Converter 4K2USB3 B&H Photo

Seems like an interesting option if possible, could tether to a small macbook air for recording.

Very interesting!

Although I wonder why they don't list Final Cut Pro as one of the supported applications. And the (apparent) lack of direct capture to ProRes format might be a drawback.

Just found this comment on a video forum comparing the device to the Shogun -

"It's also only capable of 4:2:2 8-bit at SD and HD resolutions, or 4:2:0 12-bit at UHD whereas the Shogun will do 4:2:2 10-bit at all resolutions, with 4:4:4 10-bit apparently in the works.

Unless you plan on shooting exclusively in a studio environment and already have a suitable computer setup the Inogeni is going to cost more, be far more hassle to work with and provide lower fidelity recordings."