The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

Annna T

Interesting. I usually just click the button on the AF/MF switch (going into MF) if I want to "lock" focus between shots.

Thanks for your impressions on the ergonomics, btw.

One quick question--is there any menu option for minimum shutter speed with Auto-ISO?
On the A7r I have separated the AF from the shutter. It is affected to the AEL/AF button. This button has a switch and when the switch is in the AF/MF position, it will allow you to lo lock focus. But that wasn't in the default setting, I had to change a few settings in the cogwheel menu (I don't remember exactly which). What i don't like is that in several situations (using face detection, focusing with a remote, etc.) you can't focus the camera with a separate button and have to return the focusing to the half pressure of the shutter and this means to dig deep in the menu to make that change. A real pain.

V

Vivek

I don't have the A7II (yet) but on the other A7 bodies I find convenient to set both aperture and speed in manual in combination with Auto Iso as a workaround with even more control compared to setting the min shutter speed.
Unlike some brand cameras, ISO settings change do not need any "menu diving". ISO can be changed easily and even without looking at a dial or a button. This "auto ISO" is no bother at all. I never needed it.

jonoslack

Hi there
Well. if you still use Aperture (like I do) version 3.6 with Camera Raw 6.01 reads DNG files created from the new version of DNG converter quite happily.

I won't comment on the camera beyond saying that the shutter feels much better damped than the A7 (might be wishful thinking but I don't think so).
..... and it's not so slippery!

Viramati

Well got a phone call and mine had arrived. Still setting it up but initial views are that I don't mind the extra girth and the new grip but prefer the front and back wheels on the A7. Don't like the extra weight but can live with it though the balance is a little strange and one handed use is a strain. Shutter noise doesn't really appear to be any quieter just different (compared to A7s with electronic first shutter on) focus seems quicker in low light.
Just need to wait for adobe to update Lr5 for RAW use.
Went totally berserk and bought the 16-35 as well and if It is up to scratch I may end selling a lot of my Leica gear

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have it also , it's not really as big as it looks and just slightly smaller than the 85 1.4

I should point out I never use the supplied hoods. I buy metal lens hoods off eBay for like 10 dollars and screw them into the filter thread and never use lens caps either. So much easier to work without lens caps . They always get lost at some point anyway.

ggibson

OK, thanks for confirming on the lack of minimum shutter speed. I figured it would be the same as the A7. I also use manual mode with Auto-ISO as a workaround, which is alright.

How have experiences been with the IBIS so far? Any comparison to the Olympus 5-axis system?

jonoslack

Hi David
I've just been playing with the 90 macro elmar at 1/10th and getting sharp images. I think we're in business :)

dandrewk

Hi David
if you can be bothered you can download the DNG converter (new one) and convert the RAW files to DNG - Lightroom should read those fine.

All the best
The Adobe DNG Converter does work, but I don't like that there is no option to convert individual files off the SD card. It's all or nothing. Sometimes, especially when testing, I only want quickly import an image or set of images.

If you have Photoshop, use the integrated "update" file and you should get the new Camera Raw, which supports the A7ii. You can then use the Bridge/ACR combo and cherry pick the keepers.

Godfrey

The Adobe DNG Converter does work, but I don't like that there is no option to convert individual files off the SD card. It's all or nothing. Sometimes, especially when testing, I only want quickly import an image or set of images...
To convert an individual file, drag and drop the file onto the DNG Converter application icon.

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just got off the phone with Guy -- actually it was more a, "Oh, FedEx is coming up the walk, BYE! ... Click..."

:ROTFL: